Body dimension needed for a 12

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Tbird
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bird
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Delivery Car

Body dimension needed for a 12

Post by Tbird » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:06 am

I'm starting to mock up some dimensions for a body that I'm building. I just want to verify a dimension regarding the sill runners. These are the two long pieces of wood that run the length from the firewall to the rear of the body. They attach to the body to frame brackets. I put my body to frame brackets on the frame and noticed that there is some play and the brackets can shift in and out. I have a drawing that shows 28 3/4" from edge of bracket that touches to the sill runner to the other edge of bracket that touches the sill runner but I'd like to verify from someone who has a 12 with the measurement. I want to get these set on a jig to build my body on so everything turns out square. Here is a picture of what I'm needing.
Thanks!

Mike
s-l1600 copy.jpg
IMG_1820.jpeg

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Re: Body dimension needed for a 12

Post by DanTreace » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:36 am

The factory drawing dimensions captured in this sketch shows the frame brackets to hold the body support brackets are to be 25 7/8" apart.

IMG_4671.JPG
click on image to enlarge.

On my replica '12 buckboard truck project, using a '13 frame, and with the later types of body mount brackets, that distance measured from outer edge of each bracket across, same as yours. 28 3/4"

IMG_5612.jpg
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:41 am

Dan,
Awesome thanks! Just what I needed to know. You never know with drawings that someone made, plus the fact that those brackets can shift I just wanted to be sure.
Mike

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:28 am

Mike, when I rewooded my '23, after squaring frame and mounting it level on sawhorses, I used the largest bolts which would fit the frame bracket and the body bracket, then wrapped masking tape around the bolt until it was a snug fit through both holes. Secured brackets tightly and then built the wood to that dimension (which is what Dan verified). That way, I had nominal location of brackets to frame and in fact found that when done, the body had to be skooched back a bit for the hood to fit. By doing what I did, and then reverting to the smaller, correct body bolts, I had plenty of leeway to move things a bit to get alignments perfect when done.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
Tbird

Post by Tbird » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:33 pm

Scott,
Great idea! I’ll definitely use that one.
Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic