Help. Only Coils 1 and 4 are firing.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Help. Only Coils 1 and 4 are firing.

Post by NY John T » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:44 pm

Hi All,
While slowly hand cranking the engine for the first time since I got it, only coils 1 and 4 are buzzing. Does anybody have any ideas? Roller timer is used and possibly original. I don't know what to look for. Coils are from Ron and they're great and well adjusted.
Could I need a new timer? Thanks in advance.
John

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Help. Only Coils 1 and 4 are firing.

Post by Humblej » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:48 pm

First swap out the buzzing coils with the non buzzing coils and try again. If problem moves to 2 & 3 it is the coils, if swaping coils has no impact it is the timer, the coil box, or the wiring between the timer and coil box.
Last edited by Humblej on Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:51 pm

The timer is a likely suspect. In addition, the coil box terminals and the contacts inside the coil box may need attention, and the wiring between the coil box and the timer could have issues. Cleaning and oiling the timer may get it working, if it proves to be the problem.

George Hand
First Name: George
Last Name: Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects
MTFCA Number: 28114
MTFCI Number: 21834

Post by George Hand » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:15 pm

John, With the Key on (battery) turn the engine if needed until no coils spark, then take a piece of primary wire that is grounded on one end. Now take the other end (with a little insulation stripped off the ends) touch each of the top row of coil box terminals and listen for each one to function. If all will buzz one at a time the problem is the timer or the wiring harness to the timer. If you still have some coils that do not work try to push the coils forward by wedging a thin piece of cardboard between the back of the coil & the inside of the coil box, tightening a loose coil. If still having issues swap coils as needed. Use care in bending coil box terminals for tightening loose coils, sand terminals on coils if needed. George

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:29 pm

This is a common issue with T’s that’s been happening since they were built.
All the ideas mentioned are good ones to find out what the issue is.
No. 1 Is to swap the coils around. If no. 1 and 4 are still not firing it could be the timer, contacts in the coil box, loose connections on the firewall and any wiring going to 1 and 4.
My first thing to do would be to cleanup the timer. If it still misses at 1 and 4 replace the roller and timer.
Good luck.

Joe Bell
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Bell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Fordor
MTFCI Number: 24066

Post by Joe Bell » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:48 pm

I would check the timer, spring has come off the roller or flapper if Anderson.

Virtus
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Robertson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Ford model tt 1921 right hand drive

Post by Virtus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:28 am

Joe, I think you're correct. I recently spent hours trying to figure out this problem. Still learning about the T mechanics I checked wiring, swapped coil positions all to no avail. Then logic stepped in, what kept the roller in contact with the timer cover, inertia or mechanical? It had to be mechanical. A call to Neil Tuckett to ascertain my assumption. When asked he replied " an easy way to tell whether the spring is weak or missing only coils one and four produce a spark"!
Lesson learnt!

A Whiteman
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Whiteman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT, 1924 Colonial Roadster, 1924 'Bullnose' Morris, 1925 'Bullnose' Morris, 1936 JD AR

Post by A Whiteman » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:48 am

My first thing to do would be to cleanup the timer.
Yep, I had only 1 coil firing this week getting 'Ned" out of winter hibernation. Clean of the timer and roller, now all 4 spark away happily.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:48 am

Glad you got you T going! Most of the time it’s the simple things that are the issue. Liked the way you used old fashioned ‘logic’ to figure it out.
In today’s world of computerized technology in cars it would have to be almost overthought as to what was wrong.

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:13 pm

I wonder if "NY JohnT" solved his T's problem from these responses ????

Topic author
NY John T

Post by NY John T » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:05 pm

Coils 2 and 3 not buzzing:
Here’s what I did so far:
Cleaned and polished all contacts in coil box
Gave each brass contact a little lift from the wood
Took out all coils (newly rebuilt by Ron Patterson) and pressed them into coilbox and pressed them against the contacts
Installed brand new wiring harness between coil box and timer
Cleaned the timer and roller, but didn’t add any oil or lubricant. Roller spring seems to work fine. Could possibly use more cleaning.
I have a new Anderson timer on another T and will switch that one to see for sure if it’s the timer.
Question: Is there a certain wear pattern on the timer cover that would show that the roller isn’t making contact properly? I have two covers and they have different wear patterns.
Thanks to all for the suggestions.
John

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:11 pm

With a cold engine, turn key on battery and slowly hand crank.... do you hear each coil vibrate ?

George Hand
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 open express, 1920 touring, 1926 tudor-lisenced and insured, 1921tt project 1922 fendered chassis, 192x tt dootle bug 192xengine w/winch projects

Post by George Hand » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:31 pm

John, Roller type timers will create a random wear pattern on the metal timer case contacts. I still would like to see you try to ground out each terminal from the timer wiring at the top 4 terminals of the Coil Box & see if that makes the coils to function, bypassing the timer & wiring. George

Topic author
NY John T

Post by NY John T » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:32 pm

Hi George,
I plan to do exactly that. However the T is half an hour away and I won't be able to get to it till next weekend.
Thanks for the good suggestion,
John

Topic author
NY John T

Post by NY John T » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi George.
I tried grounding the coils and nothing worked. I had another an issue with the generator cutout which touched the gen body and started smoking. Guess it's burned out. Anyway, the coils didn't buzz. Thanks. I guess it's time to get a new Andersen timer. Have one on the other T and it works fine.
John

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:27 pm

John: If you are manually grounding the timer contacts to the block, do any of the coils 'buzz'? ( Apparently #'s 1 and 4 did buzz when you began to troubleshoot the problem.) If none buzz now, a new timer is NOT the solution. Is the contact strip at the bottom of the coilbox 'hot' with ignition switch set on battery? That's an easy check with your VOM, check dc voltage from strip to engine head (should be close to 6 V DC, if no voltage present, check battery voltage, nothing will buzz if battery is dead). Next, verify timer continuity by checking resistance between timer wire contacts on coilbox and engine head. That should be open when timer roller is not in contact with that cylinder contact, and closed (~0 Ohms) when roller is on the contact corresponding to the terminal you are checking. Check all 4 contacts by turning the engine over at least twice in the process for each one. Don't randomly start swapping in parts until you know the source of the problem, good luck, jb

(I would deal with the generator separately, If battery is completely dead, charge it and check timer and coil function, sort that out then tackle the cutout issues.)

George Hand

Post by George Hand » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:23 pm

As James indicated the Timer is not the culprit at this time. If none of the Coils would function by grounding any of the top row of terminals with the key turned to battery you do not have any battery voltage or the wire you used was open or not grounded. If you do not have access to a VOM a simply test lamp will do all you need, test can be performed in less time that it will take me to type this. Test the circuits involved Not Disturbing the potential issue & creating another problem while trying to figure out the original one. George

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:11 am

The normal coils not buzzing from a weak spring holding the roller against the timer ring are 1 and 3, as they are connected to the top two timer cover terminals, unless the 3 and 4 wires are reversed.

If you are using a New Day timer, the terminals are labled 1, 2, 3, and 4, going counter clockwise from the top.

If you hook 3 and 4 to coil box coils 3 and 4, then you will have a problem!

Topic author
NY John T

Post by NY John T » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:23 am

Hi all,
A lot of great suggestions. I really appreciate that. I will have to take some time to sort it all out. Guess there's a lot I don't know about electricals. I will be going to the location where the car is today, but I have Thanksgiving events and family there (I'm making the pumpkin pies) which will take some time. You know, you can't just disappear to work on the T while guests and family are there. Happy Thanksgiving to all,
John

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:59 am

I know this may be silly but, Does your coil box have a properly fitted lid? I had one that someone had removed the hold down fingers in the middle section it would run fine until you hit a bump. then you would have to remove the lid and push the center 2 coils back down.....
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic