Digital Tachometer….

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Digital Tachometer….

Post by MichaelPawelek » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:56 pm

Will a cheap digital tachometer where you wrap a wire around a spark plug wire work on a Model T due to the magneto being near by? I assume not too well as my digital multimeter acts crazy. I don’t want one permanently installed. Just curious as to my normal driving rpm’s. I think I already know the answer but wonder about anyone’s else success.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Digital Tachometer….

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:10 pm

You can calculate speed/RPM pretty accurately. Digital instruments don't seem to get along with Model T ignition systems. My car has a nice elecrtic analog tach, but I don't know anything about it. There is no ID on the dial face It gives plausible readings, but I don't know how accurate it is. I think it is hooked up to the ignition lead under the dash. It works on Bat or Mag. The underdash area is not easily accessible due to the gas tank.

Topic author
MichaelPawelek

Post by MichaelPawelek » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:47 pm

I’ve seen the chart in one of the Model T books for road speed/rpm’s/gear if I can find it but will have to check the accuracy of my speedometer first with a phone app as the previous owner installed a S.S.White unit that may or may not be correct.

Both my Grandfather and Father were Dentists and I grew up spending thousands of hours in their offices around S.S. White dental equipment. I had no idea they manufactured products in other categories…..

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:59 pm

My timing light has a digital tachometer. It will read the engine rpm.
I used to use it to check coil dwell time by checking the change in timing at low and high rpm. Must run the engine on battery to do this. Double sparks after the prime spark causes trouble. I haven't used it in about 4 years.
Art Mirtes

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:19 am

Hi Michael,
I'm pretty sure Art is correct that you will have to run on battery to use the Tach. I have one in my speedster with single point ignition. Found it on Amazon for under $25.00 it can be programed for many different cylinder configureations. I found the number of wraps around the plug wire was very different that the instructions stated. Used a light reflective Tach. on the crank pulley to verify the engine speed and was able to get it accurate to about 3%. They don't react very fast ( have a 1-2 second lag ) I installed it to check the accuacy of my boat Tach I have used for years. Found it to be more accuate than I thought it was ( but vibration makes the boat Tach. hard to read over 2000 rpm ) :)
Craig.

rainer
First Name: Rainer
Last Name: Hantsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Lizzy: Model T Touring 1916, brass & black
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by rainer » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:00 pm

I doubt this will work.

Modern cars have one spark only, while the T gives an entire firework of sparks until the timer moved over to the next buzzer coil.

No idea if a digital tachometer is smart enough or not...

I would go for connecting to one of the timer connections first. there you have a relatively stable ground level while the buzzer coil is active.
Model T Touring 1916

TeveS-Nor Cal
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Straw
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 and lots of parts
MTFCA Number: 12542

Post by TeveS-Nor Cal » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:19 pm

Use a GPS speedo off a bicycle?

Topic author
MichaelPawelek

Post by MichaelPawelek » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:24 pm

TeveS-Nor Cal wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:19 pm
Use a GPS speedo off a bicycle?
That will give me engine rpm’s?

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 pm

I'd like to hear Luke's analysis of the feasibility of monitoring the primary frequency of the AC Ford Magneto voltage output and using that to compute engine rpm? I suspect it's a pretty noisy waveform. Counting the 'pulse rate' of two timer contacts eg, #1 and #4 would give rpm as well. FWIW, jb

And no, GPS will not give engine rpm.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:53 am

I put a digital tach on a mower engine and ran it for years. I didn't care about RPM but the unit had an hour meter that I used to track oil changes. The tach was next to the engine's magneto and it worked reliably.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:01 pm

If you simply want to know the engine speed while you are driving. A GPS will give you road speed. Then convert this to engine rpm by multiplying mph times 1000 divided 25.

For high gear
Rpm = road speed ×1000/25.
Based on 3.63 axle and 3.5x30 tires.

For low gear
Rpm = 2.75 × road speed × 1000/25

For reverse gear. ????

This is very close and is probably accurate enough to suit your needs.

Art Mirtes

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Right, and when parked?

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:15 pm

jab35 wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:36 pm
I'd like to hear Luke's analysis of the feasibility of monitoring the primary frequency of the AC Ford Magneto voltage output and using that to compute engine rpm? I suspect it's a pretty noisy waveform. Counting the 'pulse rate' of two timer contacts eg, #1 and #4 would give rpm as well. FWIW, jb
You called? :)

I'd not responded to Michael's initial question as I've no experience of these one-wire tachometers. My feeling is that Rainer may be correct, given the standard T ignition system, however it will depend to some extent upon the methodology used to determine the pulses and any filtering that has (or has not!) been implemented in the unit. If they're not expensive I guess I'd give one a go and then report the results...

... as for the magneto, yes it's entirely feasible. I did something along these lines around the time I was developing the FACT, and would have carried that on further except the motor died in my T (and replacements are not that plentiful here in NZ). At the time I found that while there is a fair bit of RFI around it was possible to implement a crude analogue LPF which, followed by some software filtering, would work reasonably well to determine RPM.

Out of interest it wasn't the only possible method. Measuring LT current pulses (eg the coil box supply lead, or timer lead[s]), using an accelerometer to determine vibration frequency, and/or using an optical sensor on the front crank pulley were also valid options. None of them are particularly difficult to implement with the inexpensive digital tech we have today.

Finally, my preferred option to report the results was a servo controlled analogue gauge. This would give an 'old-school' look, and it's easy to make a suitable scale that would be appropriate for the vehicle. Here's a view of such a gauge I made years ago for a FTD (instrument flight trainer) I designed:

rpm.jpg

Alternatively you could output to a stepper motor that would then drive an original RPM gauge. In effect it would become an electronic drive cable that might otherwise be mechanically driven from the motor.

Anyway, this is digressing rather a lot from the original enquiry!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic