Pedals bent forward

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NY John T
First Name: John
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Pedals bent forward

Post by NY John T » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:24 am

Hi all,
My new 27 Tudor has only the floor boards up to the pedal cutouts. When I placed them on the frame, I noticed that the pedals are very far forward. Previous owner probably threw out the upper floorboards since they were being contacted by the pedals.
My question: Are the pedals bent forward due to years of use? What can be done to return them back to original? Or... are the band linings worn down so much that the adjusting can't be done any further? I'm new to the adjusting of bands. I do notice that the brake pedal has NO movement when I step on it. Thanks for any suggestions,
John

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: Pedals bent forward

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:34 am

The brake pedal should move several inches when you push on it. Very likely you have worn bands and worn pedal cams and the band release springs may be weak, broken, or missing. The locked brake pedal may indicate problems within the transmission. Does the brake lever behave normally? Does the car roll freely with the brake lever in the straight up position? Is the engine in running order? Pictures are helpful.

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:55 pm

Sounds like its time for a transmission cover overhaul. The pedal cams and springs are the first thing to replace. Make sure you have the correct washers for the pedal and springs. Over the years people would lose the correct washers that have the notch on them to hold the adjustment in place. The parts are available from the vendors.
And it could be the pedals got bent forward from pushing on them. It doesn’t take much of a bend to throw off the pedal adjustment. After years of use it can happen.

The transmission bands also might need to be replaced too.
Once those things have been checked the correct adjustments can be made.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:16 pm

Remove the inspection door and look inside. The more the springs are compressed, the more worn the band linings are. With new linings the springs are hardly compressed at all until you step on the pedal. If the linings are very worn, the bands have to be adjusted a lot (springs compressed) to make them grab the spinning drum and stop it. If the pedals have to move far before they start to compress the bands, most likely the ramps are worn. Replacing the brake and reverse pedal supports is easy (same part both places). If the slow speed notch and pedal support need to be replaced, I would do it with the hogshead out of the car. Can it be done in the car? I don't intend to find out.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:04 pm

I agree with Steve. Check everything for proper adjustment and wear. Replace and adjust all parts correctly, then if the pedals are still bent, forward, they probably need to be bent back. The club publishes a booklet "Transmission". It has illustrated do it yourself instructions on how to do this. I would also recommend the books, "Engine" and "Electrical system". Because if you need to remove the entire engine you will remove the engine and magneto along with it and might as well check and repair them while it is out to avoid pulling it again soon. When everything is properly adjusted, all bands should be fully engaged when the pedal is about one inch above the floorboard and there should be some slack in all 3 pedals as you push them down before the bands begin to clamp down. The idea is to have the drums turn freely in neutral or high gear and only be restricted when the brake is on , or the low is fully engaged or when reverse is fully engaged. The bands should not drag when the pedals are back and they should be fully contracted when about an inch to one and one half inch above the floor. If you can't reach those specifications, you need to fix the worn cam or notch reline the bands, or bend the pedals. One very common problem when the low notch and band are worn is that in order to get the band completely when it is above the floorboard, it has to be so tight it drags in neutral. That is a disaster waiting to happen. Many times it leads to cracked or disintegrated drums. If the drums are a bluish color it means they have been running hot and could crack at any time. See my picture of what can happen when a drum collapses. When that happened, the transmission locked up and the car could not even be pushed or towed. I had to jack up one rear wheel with a floor jack to roll it onto a trailer.
Norm
Attachments
3 piece drum 2.jpg

AndyClary
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Clary
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout 1926 Coupe. Mercury Speedster #1249
MTFCA Number: 24057

Post by AndyClary » Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:55 pm

Good question John. It is not unusual for the low and brake pedals to be bent from use.

Andy

Topic author
NY John T
Last Name: Killelea
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by NY John T » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:25 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions. Here is a pic of the tranny. I haven't taken anything apart. Does anything look suspicious, like drums are NG or linings are worn out completely (I suspect)? The car drives and stops. I don't know what to do first. I only got the T to move under its own power last week. Thanks,
John
Tranny open.jpg

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:37 pm

At a minimum, time for new bands.

While the hog's head is off, very likely will find that the pedal supports could use repairing or replacing as well as "tweeking" the pedals as necessary to bring them into alignment where they belong (after pedal supports are replaced). Along with replacing the supports, you may need to build up the pedal ramps to minimize lost motion...noting that neutral pedal DOES have a short travel forward without sideways movement, to disengage high clutch prior to band engagement.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:43 pm

From what I can see in your picture, it appears to be ready to reline the bands, especially the low band. I can only see a bit of the brake and low drum, and they look OK, what I can see. Hard to check anything else from just looking at a picture.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic