Missing story of 1919 Middle East expedition? And a T in Jeddah

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Missing story of 1919 Middle East expedition? And a T in Jeddah

Post by Luke » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:14 pm

Recently I've been reading a little from a 1955 journal of a motor expedition that passed through Syria on the way from England to Singapore.

This was quite a feat, albeit made easier by the new Land Rover's utilised by the young men from Oxford and Cambridge. I was initially attracted to the storey because I've had a number of Land Rover's over the years (I still have 12 of the 60 that've passed through my hands...).

You might, not unreasonably, wonder what this has to do with Model T's, and why I'm talking about leaky, rattly, old British cars on this forum?

Well, it's all to do with buses, and New Zealanders y'see ;)

Often when I'm reading older stories I come across references to other people, businesses, or places that interest me sufficient to research their story. In this instance there was a brief description of a transport service across the Syrian desert that ran from the 1920's in various guises through to post-WWII. This service utilised a number of vehicles including Buick, Cadillac, Stanley Steamer [yes!], and some special-built machines, one of which was the then largest bus in the world.

I guess what further attracted my attention was that it had been started by two brothers from New Zealand who'd stayed on in the Middle East following WWI, I wanted to know a little more about their story. So, after some further research I came across a wonderful article in Aramco World Magazine that explained more about the Nairn brothers, and the 'Nairn Way' they developed over time (yes, I am getting to the point!). Here is the article: https://archive.aramcoworld.com/issue/1 ... rn.way.htm.

Well, in reading that story I saw reference to another expedition that appeared to have occurred in 1919 and which I think have to have involved Model T's. To quote from the article "...in 1919 a convoy of 10 Fords had tried to cross the desert from Etomascus to the Euphrates. Clearly, it was possible to cross the desert by automobile, but whether it was possible to create a regular service was far from assured; six of the Fords had to be abandoned....".

This led to further research. I had an idea I'd heard of this (Model T) expedition somewhere, but couldn't recall where. Nothing was initially apparent on this forum, so I've had a look further afield. At this point I haven't been able to come across any reference to it - although I have a feeling the writers of the Nairn article had something in print they took this from. To that end I wonder if anyone here knows more? It seems it could be an interesting read.

Otherwise, while looking I did come across reference to the 'first Model T Ford in Jeddah', which was, apparently, in 1926. Probably nothing earth-shatting but if perchance anyone is passing by St Antony's College, Oxford, it may be worth calling in to see the photo and read more about it...

Luke.