Finally in NC - almost

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NHUSA
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Dimock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Finally in NC - almost

Post by NHUSA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:53 am

We have finished the first part of our relocation from NH to NC.
We are somewhat settle in Raleigh (renting for awhile)

The Model T and A are still in NH waiting for us to build our new retirement home in Roxboro.
We would move the vehicles to NC but it is hard to find a place with 8 ft high doors for the 7 ft 2 inch tall T.
The 2 inches make a big difference (actually need 3-4) and letting the air out of the tires doesn’t give us enough reduction in height.

We were blessed to find a home with enough extra room so we didn’t have to rent a storage space and although we are in a subdivision I can park the trailer next to the house.

Retirement is interesting — the Silverado 4x4 truck is confused because I have washed it 4 times.
The garage has been rearranged 3 times in the past month.
I wore a lightweight sweater for the first time a few days ago and am thinking about putting the shorts away.
Santa in shorts blows my mind….
There are still a few leaves on the trees but I got the gas pack pack leaf blower out because I missed having to clear the lawn of leaves before Thanksgiving. Is it OK to use a leaf blower for snow? Just asking because we sold the big and small snowblower before moving south.
We don’t see any NewEngland edition pickup trucks here. You know - rust buckets with snowplows. In fact we see very few 4X4s except for ladies driving SUVs.
There are a lot of NASCAR stickers but tons of Duke and NCU flags/stickers/shirts/etc. I don’t think John Wayne was from NC and can’t figure out why they like him so much!

It is going to get to 65 here today so I think I’ll get my coffee, sit on the deck, and relax a bit because if I wash the truck again I might wear the paint off and if I rearrange the garage again I’ll never remember where things are.
NH - Where I used to live - not the carburetor ! :lol:

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Re: Finally in NC - almost

Post by John Codman » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:16 am

What year is your T? It must be an early one - my 27 Touring is 75" tall and easily fits our 7'4" high garage door.

Edit: I remeasured our garage door and it's 81" or 6' 9". I still have about 6" of clearance.
Last edited by John Codman on Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:50 am

John Wayne was really Marion Morrison. His name was changed when he became an actor. He actually lived in the Los Angeles area and was a graduate of Glendale High School in Glendale, Ca. Glendale is about 6 miles from Hollywood. I know this, because I also graduated from Glendale High School, however, John was about 10 years ahead of me.
Norm

Topic author
NHUSA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 T with Mifflinburg Suburban body

Post by NHUSA » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:39 pm

It is a 1919 with a Mifflinburg Suburban (hack) body.
You must have a special 7 ft door because a normal 7 ft door is slightly less than 7 ft with the framing and moldings in place.
I had to modify the opening in NH to get the T in the garage, can’t do it on rental property that is only 6 ft 11 inches

Loftfield
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Loftfield
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Touring, 1912 Express Pick-up
MTFCA Number: 49876
MTFCI Number: 24725

Post by Loftfield » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:24 am

Leave Raleigh before it is too late! You have left "winter" in N. H. but in spring everything you own will turn yellow with pine pollen, then from July through September you will put away your car because at 95F and 95% humidity it just isn't any fun. Move quickly to Western North Carolina (the mountains) where winters are very mild, but summer never gets so hot that you walk around with wet underwear dodging from one air-conditioned location to another. We have lived in Wilmington, N.C., Chapel Hill, N.C. (your area), and now Brevard, N.C., the last is by far the best, Model T used all year round.

Topic author
NHUSA

Post by NHUSA » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:48 am

I heard that Raleigh has 5 seasons, summer, fall, winter, spring, and pollen.

Will my leaf blower work on pollen?

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by Philip » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:36 am

we have a mtfca chapter the tarheel ts if you are interested. information is on our website
. philip

Topic author
NHUSA

Post by NHUSA » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm

Phillip thanks for the heads up on the Tar Heels T’s..
it looks like they generally meet within an hour or so of where we will be living once we are settled in Roxboro.
I now know where I can get a T fix since my vehicles are not nearby…
We already miss them…

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by Philip » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:22 pm

We have a wide area of members I am likely the closest we try to have some
Tours in all member areas we to tech or help sessions in the cold months soon request.
If yo go ahead and fill out the stuff on the website you will start getting emails letting
You know what and where. We have a good group philip

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic