APCO ball cap tensioner

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

APCO ball cap tensioner

Post by jiminbartow » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:28 pm

I have several APCO ball cap tensioners I am selling on eBay. One of the ones I had is missing the nut. Does anyone know why APCO designed their ball cap tensioner with a left hand threaded bolt and nut? One of the ones I have is missing the nut and I am unable to find a replacement nut for it. If they had designed it for a right hand threaded bolt and nut, finding a replacement at Lowe’s would be easy. Jim Patrick

PS. The one pictured is for the steering linkages and is complete and is on eBay now. The one that is missing the nut is the larger radius arm ball cap. Does anyone know where I might find a replacement LH threaded nut for this?

D3EA295E-17DF-4A52-8689-2A55787E76F5.jpeg

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Re: APCO ball cap tensioner

Post by dobro1956 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:53 pm

Jim, That is not an APCO brand setup. APCO did not use the nut bolt style like yours has and they were not flat sided. APCO used a cup and spring like yours but have a big threaded plug with a big screwdriver slot to adjust tension on the spring, and then a big cotter key went thru the casting, thru the screwdriver slot and out the other side of the casting to keep the threaded plug from backing out.

I have at least 6 different brands of adjustable ball caps. All are similar, but something was changed to pass copyright.

You probably can find a left hand nut thru McMaster Carr or just Google the size of your nut and "left hand" or "LH" . Something should show up.

Have fun and be safe.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: APCO ball cap tensioner

Post by jab35 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:11 pm

The choice of LH thread was likely to allow the adjustment to be 'tightened' by rotating the slotted screw to the right. McMaster has your back for sure: https://www.mcmaster.com/nuts/ jb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic