Pros and cons for powder coating wood wheel hub and rim

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
NealW
First Name: Neal
Last Name: Willford
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1915 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50256

Pros and cons for powder coating wood wheel hub and rim

Post by NealW » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:00 pm

I am restoring a 1915 runabout and am in the process of tearing down the non-demountable wheels to send to Stutzman's for re-wooding. I checked with a local company about sand blasting and powder coating the rims and hub parts, and getting them powder coated black only adds about $20 per wheel. I'm leaning towards just varnishing the spokes, so having the remaining wheel parts powder coated black would save a little time by not having to paint them, plus providing potentially a more durable finish.

Before I commit to doing that though, I would be interested in hearing from those with first hand experience regarding any pros and cons for having these parts powder coated.

Thanks in advance,

Neal

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Pros and cons for powder coating wood wheel hub and rim

Post by Scott_Conger » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Myself, I would not do it. For one thing, every wart and pimple on the parts will show through the coating. Second, what is "black"? You will likely not have a match to the depth of color or reflectivity of the black on your car (baring the use of "flat", there are at least 6 levels of reflectivity available). If you use a color, matching will be even a worse situation. Third, the lay of the material may range from a bit alligatored, to very flat...and once it's down, there is no sanding it...you'll end up with fish-eyes if you do. Fourth, if you're not happy, with it, it is not an ideal base to paint over.

Those 4 reasons are why I would not consider it.

FWIW.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Pros and cons for powder coating wood wheel hub and rim

Post by Mark Gregush » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:48 pm

You would be adding extra thickness to were the spokes sit on the hub and it would be hard to get the flange plate on. The inside were the spokes go never got paint. The wheels were assembled dipped then spun. Most powder coating that I have seen is thicker then just paint. I would just paint the outside and touch up were the flange scrapes the paint off. The flanges should be a slip/snug fit on the hub any looseness there will allow the spokes to work back and forth. Even paint can add extra thickness where the spokes press in the fellow(I know wrong spelling :) )
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic