Triple Gear Rocking

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
gldavis
First Name: George
Last Name: Davis-Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 49778

Triple Gear Rocking

Post by gldavis » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:45 pm

Hello!

As I am attempting to fish out a washer from the transmission I found one of my triple gears has a pretty significant rock on the pin. The other two gears feel good.

The transmission was rebuilt about 10 years ago (per previous owner) and runs pretty quiet. I had no idea that there was this issue.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HdzSbupqOZA?feature=share

Soooo, where do I go from here? I assume I need to pull the engine and transmission? I have the mtfca transmission book. Do I dare try to do this job as a novice with moderate mechanical skills?

Always an adventure. At least it's only January. My goal for this winter was to install my Rockies and rebuild the front axle. Maybe I need to reprioritize.
George Davis-Williams
Lake City, MI
1926 Tudor

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Re: Triple Gear Rocking

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:18 pm

Going by your video that paticular triple gear is definitely to loose! I rebuilt a 21 T engine and when I took it down one of the triple gears had a badly worn bushing. The engine had leaked oil and hadn’t been apart for years if ever! One of the drums was really grooved.
BUT no telling how long that loose triple gear was just wobbling and sort of riding along. The bushing was nearly worn into on one side. No kidding! it really was a surprise that it was worn that bad and still going.

Your gear maybe has been loose for a good while but your taking a chance the way it is and it won’t get any better. If you have pulled a T engine out of a T you can at least take the engine apart and have the transmission rebuilt or get you a Transmission manual and do it yourself.
If there is a rebuilder close to you take it to them but it’s not entirely out of you skill set to do it yourself. Several years ago the first time I had rebuilt a T transmission I had all the machine work done but I put it back together myself.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:45 pm

I recommend taking the transmission apart and examine the drums, bushings, pins, etc. You have all winter. The manual is a must. There might be someone nearby to guide you.

ArtM

AdminJeff
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Stevenson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50006
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by AdminJeff » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:13 am

You're lucky you discovered this... before it's too late.
My failure happened on a trip to Napa.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS9wUhwuSV0

The sound in the trans is like a rattle can paint spray, especially on deceleration. The wobbling gears will end up grinding off the lip of the reverse drum. Ask me how I know....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8208&p=61214&hilit=Triple#p61214

Do yourself a huge favor and replace them now before major damage is done.

AdminJeff
Assistant WebSite Admin
1921 Model T Touring, 1930 Model A Roadster
Voltage Regulators, Starter & Generator Repair
www.modeltregulators.com
www.modeltstarters.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic