Revealed my ignorance on Early Ford Screw Heads

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Flivver
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Park
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 runabout

Revealed my ignorance on Early Ford Screw Heads

Post by Flivver » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:51 pm

Unwitting, like a noob, I posted this picture on social media.
fauxpas.jpg
I was immediately 'schooled' about the incorrect Phillips head screws on my T dash. It's a US car. So I did some learning, and believe that this is now correct. Is it? TIA
EarlyFordScrewHeads.png
Last edited by Flivver on Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Reveled my ignorance on Early Ford Screw Heads

Post by Humblej » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:09 pm

With regards to the types of screws your chart is correct. However, screw heads are also different over time, those shown are flat head screws. As to the 26-27 ignition switch, you should have oval head screws, they should be nickel plated and slotted for a flat blade screwdriver.
Last edited by Humblej on Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Kerry
First Name: Frank
Last Name: van Ekeren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 touring, 1916 pick-up, 1924 coupe, 1926 touring, 1927 touring

Post by Kerry » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:07 pm

The only place I've ever found Robertson screws on our Canadian T's in Australia are the 4 holding the steering wheel rim to the spider.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:13 pm

I had a '15 or maybe later Runabout body with Robertson screws on the door hinges, both wood and machine screws.
Rich
When did I do that?

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 pm

My 1915 tourer had many Robertson screws throughout the timber frame. There were both slotted head and Robertson head screws used on Canadian 26-7 models to hold the dash in. They were nickel plated brass machine screws, correctly termed raised countersunks. Can someone explain how a screw can have an oval head?

Allan from down under.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:16 pm

Can someone explain how a screw can have an oval head?

It's the common name, but domed or convex head would be a more accurate description.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Flivver

Re: Revealed my ignorance on Early Ford Screw Heads

Post by Flivver » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:20 am

I suspect that Domed, Flat and even Pan Head machine screws are used in various locations, right? For example, the transmission cover would use Pan Head screws. The door jams use Flat Head screws. And the dash bezel would use Domed head screws. Am I correct?

Humblej
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster

Post by Humblej » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 am

Steven, yes, some screws are round head, some flat head, some oval head, depending on application and location. Trans cover is round head, door jamb is flat head, most trim screws are oval head. Your Home Hardware in Canada uses the term oval head same as USA, suspect domed head is something else entirely. I cannot think of any pan head screws used on a Model T.

I borrowed this picture from the internet without permission.
first is oval head, second is flat head, third is round head, last is pan head.
0_RT2-NL0LqsN8K55D_.png

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 am

Maybe this is a better diagram? What do you think?
ScrewHeads2.png

Humblej

Post by Humblej » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:29 am

You got it Steven.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:48 am

Interesting post about vintage screw types.

When I restored my 24 T Coupe I noticed all of the interior trim screws were nickel plated slotted oval head screws. I also had a 25 Fordor sedan I sold years ago and it also had nickel plated oval head interior screws.
I’ve wondered if Ford left the screws unpainted or if they were painted after the closed cars interiors were installed and then spray painted.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by jab35 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:12 am

The artsy Venn diagram implies screws introduced after 1935 were used in assembling Model T's that went out of production in 1927? For that diagram to be correct you would need at least one additional axis to show time and probably a fourth to include all the shapes, domed, pan, along with the made-up names, etc,

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 am

Ford used a fillister head slotted, on the mag posts. High on the early ones, and not so high on the later ones. As I recall the late style is also used on the generator.

Allan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:02 pm

Larry, those are called cheese head screws here, like a round of cheese. That's a much more accurate description for the shape than oval head is for raised head countersunks. I have come across some of the mag post screws you describe as thicker for the earlier cars. Might they have a slight crown to the head as well? If that's the case, to be consistent, I guess you guys would call them oval head fillisters. :D

Allan from down under.

DJPeterson
First Name: Dale
Last Name: Peterson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring, 1916 Roadster, 1925 Roadster PU, 1926 Canadian Fordor, 1927 Speedster

Post by DJPeterson » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 pm

As for Canadian, I restored a 26 Fordor from what I believe to have been an original car. The visible screws on trim, dash, windshield hardware, etc. were all oval head nickel plated Robertson wood screws and machine screws. Other screws were all Robertson flat head screws, not painted unless the assembly was painted prior or after final assembly, such as the door hinge screws.

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:25 am

DJPeterson wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 pm
As for Canadian, I restored a 26 Fordor from what I believe to have been an original car. The visible screws on trim, dash, windshield hardware, etc. were all oval head nickel plated Robertson wood screws and machine screws. Other screws were all Robertson flat head screws, not painted unless the assembly was painted prior or after final assembly, such as the door hinge screws.
Thanks! This makes it clear that my Venn diagram seems to be correct regarding Canadian cars. As others have suggested, I may try to add to it to include head shape information as well.

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:36 am

jab35 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:12 am
... Venn diagram implies screws introduced after 1935 were used in assembling Model T's that went out of production in 1927?
I don't understand. I think that the Venn diagram correctly shows that US Model Ts use only slotted head screws, and post 1934 Ford's use both slotted and Phillips head screws. Am I misunderstanding something?
jab35 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:12 am
... you would need at least one additional axis to show time and probably a fourth to include all the shapes, domed, pan...
I'll think about how to indicate time and/or head shapes... But I am not sure where I can find more precise timeline info regarding screw types and shapes.

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:28 am

those are called cheese head screws here, like a round of cheese. That's a much more accurate description for the shape than oval head is for raised head countersunks

Seems to be English language and what the trade calls these type of machine or wood screw head types.

Here is a chart with pretty good descriptions in use today.

Head styles.jpeg

Back in Model T days of course, other terms were used to describe the typical 'Oval' head screw, the term of use was French head.
See the description for the counter sink in the Ford ignition switch plate factory print, used on the first wood dash cars, the call out is French head for that Oval head screw. :D

French or Oval head screw used.jpeg
French or Oval head screw used.jpeg (34.44 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:33 am

Would the circled head styles comprise all of those originally used on Model T?
MTScrewstyles.png
MTScrewstyles.png (109.4 KiB) Viewed 2111 times

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:54 am

and post 1934 Ford's use both slotted and Phillips head screws.

Regarding Ford use of Phillips head fasteners, that began according to some early V8 car blogs, to be in the 1941-1942 era. A Restoration Book on 1940 Fords stated no Phillips screws were used anywhere.

These Phillips were used by GM for auto use, earlier use was likely with US aviation production.

"Henry F. Phillips, of Portland, OR, invented the X-shaped socket head screw for car makers who needed a screw that could be driven with more torque and that would hold more tightly than slotted screws. Car makers also needed a screw that would center quickly and easily, and could be used efficiently on an assembly line.

The invention was initially rejected, but eventually accepted by the American Screw Co., who in 1936 persuaded General Motors to use the Phillips head screw in manufacturing Cadillacs. Phillips lost the patent to his eponymous invention in 1949."
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Allan

Post by Allan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:10 pm

Steven, the fillister you show with the domed top is likely the early type I mentioned when Larry posted about mag. post screws. The later ones, according to Dan's post, would be flat fillisters.
Dan, the round countersunks, without the driving slots, were used by Duncan and Fraser on the top and bottom of their cast brass door hinges. They are a beast to remove if the nuts are rusted. I have no idea why they were used. They are flush with the hinge, but so are the two countersunk slotted woodscrews between them, so it can't be just an appearance thing. Go figure.

Anyone, what is the origin of French head for what you call oval heads? It is non-descriptive, like filliser, but at least it is not inaccurate like oval head.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
Flivver

Post by Flivver » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:04 am

From my bit of research, and from feedback provided here, I have arrived at these two diagrams to describe early Ford screw heads. Note that naming conventions may differ...
ScrewHeadsDriveR0.png
ScrewHeadsShapeR0.png
And I have rev'd the diagrams, since, I expect, someone will correct me and I will need to update these further.

jab35
First Name: James
Last Name: Bartsch
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 30615

Post by jab35 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:35 am

If I were a first-time observer of the diagram and chart below it, without the benefit of the discussion that preceded it all, I would have the following questions:
1. In the Venn diagram the intersection of the three screw head types is labeled 'slotted', the diagram title "Early Ford Screw Heads" but including the Model T era and US Made Fords (~1940) implies an evolution of screw heads over time from the beginning of the Model T to ~1940, so maybe Rob and Phil pre 1927 are the genetic parents of Slotted ~1940. From the discussion earlier in the thread, I think the diagram is meant to show "Screw Head types used by Ford in Assembling the Model T". Of course if Philips wasn't used, that Venn would have only two categories. A Venn showing "Screw Head Types used in Original Factory Assembly AND by Those who owned, repaired, modified, improved, restored (etc, etc,,,,) these Model T Ford cars up to and including the present date" would be much more complex, and much more interesting. I believe Martyn Vowell might need to be consulted to pull that one off.

2. The early heads profile is good, again the timeline of use of the various types in Ford Factory manufacturing would interest me. And are only sheet metal fasteners considered or are 'Screw and Bolt heads' included? And slotted, Robertson, Philips, torx, etc? Since this began as a Model T fastener thread, I'd respectfully suggest highlighting the Model T specific ones a different color, 'Pre-1930 could include some not used in the manufacture of the T, but certainly all of them and more have been used to keep the cars going since, and in the manufacture of replacements parts we all value.

FWIW, Respectfully, jb

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic