Looking for tips on going back to natural colored spokes...

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
mrjaffe
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Jaffe
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Touring
MTFCA Number: 51917

Looking for tips on going back to natural colored spokes...

Post by mrjaffe » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:13 pm

Setting the debate between painted versus natural wood spokes aside for a moment, I am in the process of stripping the paint off of the wheels on my '23T. It's going pretty smoothly and I think the spokes are going to look pretty good once most of the paint is gone.
IMG_0476.JPG
I would love to hear from others who converted back to natural wood as to what they painted the spokes with (varnish, urethane, linseed oil, etc.) and how they went about painting the hub and outer rim parts. I want the spokes to be natural wood color and all the metal parts to be black.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Mike

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: Looking for tips on going back to natural colored spokes...

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:27 pm

Ford painted them all black. That would be easiest, however if you want clear wheels I would recommend Spar Varnish. It is something they use on natural wood parts of boats. If you can't find the varnish, then clear Poly Urathane would be next best. You will need to carefully mask all the parts you want black when you paint the spokes, then when it is completely dry, mask the spokes and paint the other parts black.
Norm

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by MichaelPawelek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:01 pm

I sealed spokes for 5 wheels years ago but they were new and had not been painted black. I used spar varnish and hung them on a clothes line to dry. They came out beautiful. It will take a lot of masking with the wheels complete as yours are at the present time but it looks as if you have done most of the hard part already….

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:46 pm

I used Epifanes on my wheels when I had them respoked about 10 years ago. I first used Minwax Cherry Wood Gel Stain since I wanted the wood a darker color. Then I applied several coats of Epifanes High Gloss Clear Varnish and then applied a final coat of Epifanes Woodfinish Matte.

The Matte is designed to be applied over the High Gloss Varnish.
F731FFDC-7C29-4F4D-A57C-4E62B1FB4B4F.png
B98F0982-5C0F-43D3-9A03-90709A55FF80.png
EC118BA8-FCB4-4042-BB6A-4B28B93A5D0F.png
BD48F7F2-CB36-4948-9672-8DBE23764A69.jpeg

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:18 pm

Whatever varnish or other clear finish you use, keep it garaged. The more weather it gets, the sooner it will go bad. The same is true of paint, but it will last better.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Nunsio1
First Name: John
Last Name: Monticciolo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 C Cab truck
MTFCA Number: 21108

Post by Nunsio1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:09 am

I removed the front wheel spokes from the wheel. Didn’t remove the rear spokes from the wheel. Hand scraped all black off, light sand, stain w/golden oak, then coated with West System Marine Epoxy w/ slow activator.To keep the epoxy off the mating surface and the tips of the spokes, put Play Doe on those areas, after everything dries, scrap off the hardened Play Doe.
John, Oscoda Michigan
EA08F733-94A6-4B38-9FCF-71F1C202EC74.jpeg

browning
First Name: David
Last Name: Kahle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 coupe, '26 touring, ‘14 Staude tractor conversion, '27 coupe, '19 roadster, ’15 speedster, '14 touring

Post by browning » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:43 am

I have finished a number of wheels and usually finish the spokes “naturally”, not because it is correct but, being a woodworker by trade, I find them appealing. I have access to a bead blast cabinet and have found that to be the best way to strip the old finish. It is aggressive enough to remove paint and rust but, with care, doesn’t erode the hickory spokes needlessly. Sand blasting is pretty hard on the wood from my experience. Once stripped I carefully mask off the wood spokes with tape and paper. To mask around the hub I use an old hub plate as a template and cut the radius in 2” masking tape and then apply front and back. At this point all that is exposed is metal which I prime with epoxy primer and finish sand followed with black automotive base coat. When dry I remove the masking and finish the entire wheel with multiple coats of automotive clear coat. The clear coat is probably not recommended for wood but it is formulated for use on plastic and rubber body parts and will flex as needed. In my opinion the automotive clears are as impervious to uv degradation as anything available. I work on my cars more than I drive them so I can’t report on longevity or hard use but so far so good.

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:21 am

Here are the products I used on my spokes:
Attachments
IMG_0724.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

John kuehn
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:27 am

I finished my late 24 Coupe wheels in clear varnish. Ford did make available natural colored 21” wood wheels in 1925 according to the encyclopedia. https://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/U-Z.htm#wheels

It’s sort of like “all Model T’s were black”. But we know that’s not necessarily so.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:44 am

You don't need to go back! Ford never offered natural wheels until 1925, and then ONLY on the 21" wheels. Paint them. Do it right.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 am

I used several coats of Minwax Wood Hardener. Its a penetrating resin that gets into the wood fibers. I sanded between coats until the wood wouldn't take any more. The product is very runny in order to soak into the wood, so be prepared. Also applied to the ends of the spokes in the felloe. Also you can paint over it if you or someone else wants to paint them.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

John Dow
Last Name: Dow
MTFCA Number: 32344
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by John Dow » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:29 pm

Proper striping, preparation, masking etc.. is ton of work so make sure the clear polyurethane product used is recommend for outdoor use offering ultra violet protection. "UV" exposure is the enemy of all poly products unless a protectant is added. It would be my recommendation to use marine grade polyurethane which may not be available from your local hardware store. These are available in high gloss, satin or flat.

Chris Haynes
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Haynes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Chris Haynes » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:06 pm

I have just had new spokes put into the wheels of my rusty old T. Naturally they stick out like a sore thumb. I have found that watering them every couple of days causes them to Grey and look much more like the rest of the car. Think about the fence around your yard. Where the sprinklers hit the wood that wood has turned grey.

Art M
First Name: Art
Last Name: Mirtes
MTFCA Number: 32489
MTFCI Number: 24068
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Art M » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:13 pm

The level of gloss brings a question. What gloss is usually applied to wheels? High, semi, flat or otherwise.

Art Mirtes

browning
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '26 coupe, '26 touring, ‘14 Staude tractor conversion, '27 coupe, '19 roadster, ’15 speedster, '14 touring

Post by browning » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:55 pm

Wood finishes by their nature are all high gloss. Paint manufacturers add a “flatting agent” to the finish when it is made to refract light and dull the sheen. If you apply high gloss and wait until it hardens you can achieve the same effect by polishing with very fine steel wool and brown wax (common for wood floors). The elbow grease and abrasiveness of the steel wool will affect the sheen. Back in the day the go to products for this process were pumice or rottenstone mixed with an oil.

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:11 pm

Isn't "setting aside the debate" kinda like saying, I know it's wrong to rob a
bank, but would it be better if I used a pistol or a shotgun ? :lol:
More people are doing it today than ever before !

browning

Post by browning » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 pm

Some days this forum reminds me of a holiness church I attended for many years. You were ok as long as your righteousness was the same as theirs plus or minus two percent. Anything over you were a fanatic and anything under you were a heathen. The church has since closed and the building is for sale. Word to the wise. I tried not to post but I couldn’t help myself - forgive me.

Luxford
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kable
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Town Car 1913 Speedster 1915 kampcar
MTFCA Number: 4
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Luxford » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:47 pm

As you are not going to disassemble the wheels the easiest way to refinish the wheels would be by brush.
All the areas are small so a brush is ideal, spraying can be difficult to get all the areas inside and out shiny without overspray on adjacent spokes or areas.
As you are brushing either the clear or black parts little or minimum masking ( or even no masking if you are careful ) would be a lot faster and if you use slow drying paints easy to get top results. Do a bit of practice before attacking the wheels. You will use far less paint as well. As other have advised good quality paints for outside use are worth the trouble and cost as you will get far longer service after all you prep work.

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:06 am

When I got my first T back 40 some years ago, the spokes were safety yellow...a very,very, thick coat...and peeling away. So I did the scrape with a broken chunk of glass as everyone said...took forever, but do-able, for a while, got old after the first wheel! I then had them dipped AND neutralized and they came home needing very minor 200 grit sanding with the metal fellow now bare and ready for prime.

Yes, tedious tape off with little pieces overlapping but that done, fellow and hubs primed with no bleed through on spokes. Let that primer dry for a week or so.

Tedious tape in the opposite direction. Left the spoke on while applying fellow mask, then took spoke part off, wanted a perfect butt of the tape and got it.

The spokes were done in a WATER-LOX exterior coating. Guys on here don't use the stuff. The wife had recommended it as she had lots of experience with it restoring old furniture and sealing things for exterior use. Brush on with just about any brush and it will flow on its own to be glass smooth was the claim. Yup...the claim was true. Patience is a virtue as this stuff is linseed oil based. Let it dry for a month!

Back to the butted masking tape exchange, again, then did all the metal with something maybe hard to get today. A mixture of Rustoleum gloss black, and Rustoleum clear at 50/50. At the time in the mid-70's before all this fancy coating stuff, this is what guys in the local club had been mixing for years for running gear work. (I'm not sure Clear is available today in the low VOC stuff).

The magic part? I've never sold any T I have ever bought. 40+ years...NO peel, NO bubbles, NO checks...all it takes is a wipe down with a wet cloth and good to go...no worries either when washing the car...and it looks like refinished yesterday.

That said, there is a part 2...

My cars after that came black wheels in decent shape, until a 2010 'buy'...it came with some sloppy varnish job that was like peeling Saran Wrap on red metal fellows and hub. Thought long and hard about doing it like the original '25. Then just decided too much work, too long a time frame, and now in my 70's a month is a long time (that does go by in 2 seconds). I sanded them down to get through the failed varnish, they were demountable so finished it all with rattle can black. Good enough for now!

Stuff to think about. Good luck.
Attachments
9D6C7486-B64B-40AD-A137-883BE291C0D8_4_5005_c.jpeg
9D6C7486-B64B-40AD-A137-883BE291C0D8_4_5005_c.jpeg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

Ned L
First Name: Ned
Last Name: Lloyd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe, 1924 huckster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Ned L » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:22 pm

As to coating with “epoxy” as a clear finish, the vast majority of epoxies have no UV blocking additives, so it will degrade (turn yellow and beak down) in sunlight fairly quickly.
Epoxy finishes require normal varnishing with an exterior varnish to provide the UV protection.

Now I’m not suggesting epoxy, in fact I have never used it as a “clear finish” for the brightwork on my boats (just traditional varnish).

For bright finished spokes I would go with just a traditional varnish. Personally I would prep the whole wheel (wood and metal), then do my varnish work with no masking.
Then mask the spokes and paint the black. This will tend to more reliably seal the edges of the wood to the metal and may reduce discoloration and water staining at the ends of the spokes over time.

No need to spray, brushing can be just fine.
Attachments
29CAF126-09A5-4CD3-8272-B322D51C02F8.jpeg
DA76CEE3-96B0-4706-850C-C74A62E5082C.jpeg
C00DA9FE-A2F9-4F70-9774-4E63448BE713.jpeg
BA0A5FF7-FA22-4715-AC87-C5AFF500EF90.jpeg
38F7465E-8A8D-4D0F-9674-9DBCADB10097.jpeg

jwrightjr
Last Name: Wright
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Touring, 1925 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 50228
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by jwrightjr » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:01 pm

I prefer the natural look and just finished this wheel today. The picture is a before and after of the rear wheels from a 26 chassis that was turned into a farm wagon. We rescued the chassis from a barn and it was sunk in the mud for decades I’m guessing. The spokes were surprisingly sound but very dry. I took the wheel apart and sanded them to get down to the “fresh” wood and applied two coats of thinned Spar Urethane (to allow it to soak in) proceeded with about 8 coats full strength. Metal was painted with gloss Rustoleum (rattle can variety).
Attachments
IMG_5943.jpg
Kind Regards
John

1922 Touring "Tinker"
1925 Roadster "Pops" (Pile Of Parts)
Martin, Ohio

Jeff5015
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Schroeder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50300
MTFCI Number: 87
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Jeff5015 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:34 pm

I was kinda thinking that "Setting the debate between painted versus natural wood spokes aside for a moment", actually meant I don't care what you purists think. It's my car and I want natural spokes.

Now, how as a community do we help him get to where he wants to be?
1916 Touring

Philip
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Thompson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring

Post by Philip » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:28 pm

i think the paint is whats holding mine together. philip

BobShirleyAtlantaTx
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Shirley
MTFCA Number: 29135

Post by BobShirleyAtlantaTx » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:11 am

1193392E-A749-4C91-BBF0-190716D3483E.jpeg
CDF012D8-5AE2-440D-8B97-8D7B982A67CA.jpeg
. 903-824-1949

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic