Accessory shock (Hasslers?) info/help wanted

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
old_charley
First Name: Bryan
Last Name: Ostergren
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 cut-off touring/pickup: 1922 Touring car: 1921 TT Dump Truck
MTFCA Number: 8082

Accessory shock (Hasslers?) info/help wanted

Post by old_charley » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:55 pm

These accessory shock absorbers are on my '14. I would appreciate any help confirming whether or not they are early Hassler shocks. I've never seen another set. The design is certainly similar to the common bee hive Hasslers with the obvious differences being the spring design and the grease fittings. Given the initials RH (Robert Hassler?) and RHC (Robert Hassler Company?) cast into the parts I'm assuming they are early Hasslers. Maybe prototype/test marketed? The T in the Wells ad below from The Fordowner magazine of September 1914 has identical shocks on it. There is no ad for the shocks. The bee hive style were being advertised by sometime in 1915 .
Do any of you have a set of these shocks or knowledge of them? If anyone has any Fordowner magazines from that period would you be kind enough to look through them for an ad. Or better still have an advertising brochure for them you could post?
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Front.jpeg
Front Right.jpeg
RH top.jpeg
RHC RR.jpeg
starter ad.jpg

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Accessory shock (Hasslers?) info/help wanted

Post by Mark Gregush » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:20 pm

Is the RH on both or just one, the one on the right-hand side of the car?
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:46 pm

"RH" was on Hassler parts, it did not mean "right". So the question about whats on the other is important. I have not seen these and have collected pictures of many styles and never noticed the ones on this Western Electric ad. In looking at the pictires and seeing the lettering and how well the match to Hassler's, I'd say they may be an early version of Hasslers
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Dropacent
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Morsher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:28 pm

Really neat! They do have a Hassler look, perhaps you are on to it. Robert Hassler was an early auto genius. He invented and manufactured an early 2 speed rear axle, way before the Planatar or Ruckstell. Another pride of Indiana L

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:34 pm

Those Indiana boys!!!
Pretty cool Tim. Wish I could help but back to top.

Dropacent
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925TT, 1926 Martin-Parry bodied wagon, 1927 mercury bodied speedster

Post by Dropacent » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:04 pm

There is so much early auto history in Indiana. I think they were just behind Ohio , BUT still a far behind 2nd!

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:33 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:46 pm
"RH" was on Hassler parts, it did not mean "right". So the question about whats on the other is important. I have not seen these and have collected pictures of many styles and never noticed the ones on this Western Electric ad. In looking at the pictires and seeing the lettering and how well the match to Hassler's, I'd say they may be an early version of Hasslers
No question. They are Hasslers (1913?). Looking for more info
Attachments
1st Hassler2.png
1st hasslers.png
1st hasslers.png (314.02 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
Last edited by TRDxB2 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:39 pm

Nice work Frank. You saved me some time.
Rich :D
When did I do that?

Topic author
old_charley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 cut-off touring/pickup: 1922 Touring car: 1921 TT Dump Truck

Post by old_charley » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:27 pm

Thanks everyone.
First, Mark, the RH and RHC are on both the left and right side shocks.
Frank, great to know about the RH markings on Hassler products. I don't have any of the beehive style. Are the markings on those as well?
Tim and Dallas, thank you for chiming in. Back to you Frank.
I don't have the patience to do a deep internet search for info. Thank you for your efforts. Is the ad you posted in your possession or something you found online? Would you be so kind as to either provide me with a link to it or email me a copy? It would be greatly appreciated.
planetaryman@msn.com
And Rich, thanks for your intention to help.

I'm sort of torn between wanting to find someone with another set and having the only set in existence.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:35 pm

As always.., Way to go Frank!!!!!!!

namdc3
First Name: Nikolaus
Last Name: Martin
MTFCA Number: 32342
MTFCI Number: 23512

Post by namdc3 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:30 pm

Yes, later Hasslers have RH on both sides, as well. There are actually a few different versions between yours and the later pancake style, not to mention different spring rates for different body styles. The tapered springs of the later beehive provide more lateral stability of the spring, a reduced overall compressed height, and a non-linear spring rate. These were all likely considered to be improved features at the time, but it's neat to see an early set.

Dropacent

Post by Dropacent » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 pm

Brian, I’ve been into Ts for over 50 years now and it’s really a joy to learn and see something new at this point. Thank you very much! If I was younger, I’d have to have a set now!

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:17 pm

old_charley wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:27 pm
Thanks everyone.
First, Mark, the RH and RHC are on both the left and right side shocks.
Frank, great to know about the RH markings on Hassler products. I don't have any of the beehive style. Are the markings on those as well?
Tim and Dallas, thank you for chiming in. Back to you Frank.
I don't have the patience to do a deep internet search for info. Thank you for your efforts. Is the ad you posted in your possession or something you found online? Would you be so kind as to either provide me with a link to it or email me a copy? It would be greatly appreciated.
planetaryman@msn.com
And Rich, thanks for your intention to help.

I'm sort of torn between wanting to find someone with another set and having the only set in existence.
The RH markings are on most items. the beehive style springs were color coated for spring rate.
I found the ads on-line using Google Books (Hap also uses it and described here https://mtfca.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26285 how above). I don't have any original ads
You should be able to right click on the above images and choose SAVE IMAGE AS... to download to your PC
Mick Jagger

Topic author
old_charley

Post by old_charley » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:13 pm

Tim, like you I've been into Ts for more than 50 years, since '68, and I agree. It's a kick to see something T related that you haven't come across before. I'm glad I could bring some joy to your life! It would be fun to find another set. Incredibly unlikely though given that they were obviously made for a very short time.
Thanks for the link Frank. Greatly appreciated.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:50 am

Thanks for showing us those rare ducks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic