SPEEDSTER WITH model A crank

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Loftbed
First Name: Rod
Last Name: Letcher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32097

SPEEDSTER WITH model A crank

Post by Loftbed » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm

The 5 racer has arrived and I have mild issue:
This engine has a Model “A” crank installed along with a deeper oil pan. The upper petcock was removed and a plug installed. The question is, normally you would fill tell the oil ran out of the top petcock. So is the procedure changed to fill only to the bottom petcock? I’m assuming that this may be the case due to the additional oil in the deeper pan? Or do I need to replace the plug with another petcock?
petcock.png
petcock.png (218.87 KiB) Viewed 2515 times
:D
1965 Shelby Cobra (Factory Five repo)
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1941 Ford PU

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: SPEEDSTER WITH model A crank

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm

Loftbed wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm
This engine has a Model “A” crank installed along with a deeper oil pan. The upper petcock was removed and a plug installed. The question is, normally you would fill tell the oil ran out of the top petcock. So is the procedure changed to fill only to the bottom petcock? I’m assuming that this may be the case due to the additional oil in the deeper pan? Or do I need to replace the plug with another petcock? petcock.png
The oil level is supposed to be BETWEEN the 2 petcocks. Filling to the top petcock is too much. The tricky thing about checking the oil, is to have a feel for how much oil is flowing out the bottom valve without a sight gauge to determine the oil level..

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 pm

Perhaps drain it and then see how much oil it takes to get to the lower petcock. I suspect it will take several GALLONS!

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:00 pm

Does it have a pressure oil system?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:05 pm

Les Schubert wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:00 pm
Does it have a pressure oil system?
With that flow thru connection, I would think not.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:29 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:47 pm
Loftbed wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 pm
This engine has a Model “A” crank installed along with a deeper oil pan. The upper petcock was removed and a plug installed. The question is, normally you would fill tell the oil ran out of the top petcock. So is the procedure changed to fill only to the bottom petcock? I’m assuming that this may be the case due to the additional oil in the deeper pan? Or do I need to replace the plug with another petcock? petcock.png
The oil level is supposed to be BETWEEN the 2 petcocks. Filling to the top petcock is too much. The tricky thing about checking the oil, is to have a feel for how much oil is flowing out the bottom valve without a sight gauge to determine the oil level..
When you change oil in your modern car, do you fill to the top of the "safe" zone, or just fill to midway?

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Post by Kevin Pharis » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:52 pm

Les Schubert wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:59 pm
Perhaps drain it and then see how much oil it takes to get to the lower petcock. I suspect it will take several GALLONS!
My fully sumped pan is comfortably above the bottom petcock at 10 quarts... my guess is the aluminum sump adds 3 quarts...🤔
2168EEF1-7B11-41F4-B8B4-A846630738AE.jpeg
You don’t need much oil on the flywheel for a splash engine to operate properly. Seems to me the M500 boys run like 1.5 quarts😬. I fill mine to normal level as I have to cover the oil pickup tube, and am concerned about the transmission going dry

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:22 pm

You can always drill a hole where you like at the desired level to be at the next oil change on the accessory deep sump and install a petcock. I prefer a high level breather on a deep sump to relief heat. A lot on hot air stays in there if you do not. Just Sayin'

Hank

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:43 pm

One thing you need to know is what kind of oiling system you have. Model A had a splash system similar to a T however,it used an oil pump to lift the oil into the valve chamber from where it ran into the dips in the crankcase. Or you could have a pressurized crankshaft similar to a modern car. So you really need to find from someone who is familiar with this engine to be sure how much oil it needs. Then you can devise a system to check the oil. Also do you have the original transmission or has it been fitted with something else? All these things need to be known in order to answer this question.
Norm

kmatt2
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:55 pm

The deep sump typlcaly holds 4 qts and the T sump up to the upper spickiot holds 4 qts, for a total of 8 quarts of oil, a oil filter system would hold more oil. The hose between the deep sump and the T sump is needed to equalize the oil level even with a splash oiled system. Make sure there is always oil over the oil pickup in a pressure system, sucking air is bad news.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:01 am

I would remove the top plug, put a petcock in the hole, and keep the oil level between the two. Just because it has a sump, the oil level should be no different than a regular engine- Not sure even with an oil pump, that you would do anything different. Having an A crank changes nothing regarding lubrication for the bearings and transmission. If it had an oil pump, there would most likely be some evidence of additional external oil lines, a filter etc. , but you have made no mention of these details.

Topic author
Loftbed

Post by Loftbed » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:04 pm

I'm going to install a "sight gauge" in the bottom petcock location. that should enable me to maintain the original oil level.
BTW, this speedster was originally built by Pete Eastwood and subsequently bought and rebuilt by Don Small who had "loco Larry" build this engine.
I am in the process of replacing all the fluids prior to firing her up after an extended time that she has been idle. I am also creating a time-line history of the car, so if anyone has any info, let me know. I hear that it was on numerous hill climb events while under Don Smalls ownership?

Rod
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1941 Ford PU

Topic author
Loftbed

Post by Loftbed » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:09 pm

Here,s a couple of photos:
Attachments
85601098.jpg
85601114.jpg
85601099.jpg
1957 Ford Thunderbird
1941 Ford PU

kmatt2
Last Name: Matthiesen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 T Coupe, 16 T Open Express, 21 TT Flatbed. 15 T Roadster, 13 & 25 T Speedster , 51 Mercury 4 door sport sedan, 67 Mercury Cougar
MTFCA Number: 11598

Post by kmatt2 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:05 pm

Rod, I would do as Dan recommends and install the stock upper spickot. I had a deep sump A crank speedster, it was full pressure, and I never had problems checking the oil with the stock T system. You could try to find a unused repo Rajo oil gauge that were being sold. The problem with some sight gauges is that they can get air locked. The oil level looks low but isn’t, you add oil, now the oil is to high. I guess that would be better than the inverse case. Check out prior T forum’s posted on oil sight gauges.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:12 am

What an awesome Speedster/Racer! Very cool!

BTW, I have no idea who "Loco Larry" is, but if I were having an engine rebuilt, I would choose "Loco Larry", based solely on the name alone! :lol:

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:41 pm

Jerry VanOoteghem wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:12 am
What an awesome Speedster/Racer! Very cool!

BTW, I have no idea who "Loco Larry" is, but if I were having an engine rebuilt, I would choose "Loco Larry", based solely on the name alone! :lol:
This Larry's Engine Rebuilding & Machine Shop at 4860 SE 82ND Ave Portland, OR?
Attachments
locolarry.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Caswell
First Name: Dean
Last Name: Brevit

Post by Caswell » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:42 pm

Thought I had seen the car before, is the sheet metal around firewall dark grey or black?
Attachments
DonSmallcar.jpg

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:39 pm

Loco Larry's shop was in Whittier, Ca

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic