Flywheel runout..........

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Flywheel runout..........

Post by George Andreasen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:26 pm

My flywheel has .004" of runout in one small portion of the rim, about 4" long, which I discovered when I put it on a mandrel in the lathe. I placed a dial indicator on the FACE of the rim....on the edge it's fine. How could that be you ask? Well, the machining looks good and upon very close inspection I realized the casting itself was off...warped, whatever...yet it was sent through the machining process anyway and installed in an engine! Personally, I don't think it's much of a problem as the flywheel balances quite well, but I'd like opinions from the group.

By the way, it has the letters "DS" embossed in the cast iron. Was this a Dodge Brothers product? The engine is a crank start 1918. Thanks!

henryford2
First Name: Joseph
Last Name: Andulics
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Fordor, 1926 Truck, 1927 Roadster GOW, RAJO Sprint car
MTFCA Number: 9766

Re: Flywheel runout..........

Post by henryford2 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:23 pm

Here’s my take on your question. Rotating unbalance is the uneven distribution of mass around an axis of rotation. A Model T transmission weighs approx. 75 lbs. (1200 oz.). The uneven distribution .004” x 1200 oz. = 4.8 oz.in. or 5.36 g/mm unbalance. 5.36 g/mm is better than a Balance Quality Grade of G 6.3 (Balance Quality of Rigid Rotors ISO 1940/1) for flywheels. Run it!

Topic author
George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:52 pm

LOL...........I actually had to read that TWICE, but finally got it! Thank you.

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:03 pm

If you mean .004” indicator runout, then that area is only .002” off center.

What you have is probably fine.

If you want something a little better to start with, get a ‘26-‘27 flywheel. They are machined all over and sometimes are a bit better in balance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic