Hartman timer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Hartman timer

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 pm

A.C. Hartman patented a contact for timers in 1923.

I have one, and have never seen another. Anyone else on here have one? Do you or have you ran it?

William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: Hartman timer

Post by Les Schubert » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:47 pm

Looks like a nice unit, I think you are lucky to have it!! If it was mine, I would install 4 capacitors (one at each connection to ground) and carefully lubricate the rotor contact areas to extend its service life.
If you would like to sell it, please contact me!!

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Re: Hartman timer

Post by MKossor » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 am

Les, The contacts probably open too slowly for a typical 0.47uF capacitor to afford much protection against contact arcing. The capacitor value would have to be MUCH larger to be effective in suppressing contact arcing. You can't use a large capacitor across coil points because you need the field to collapse rapidly shortly after the contacts break but you can use a larger value on timer terminals since the cylinder has already fired and the timer contact break is not responsible for ignition spark. There is an upper limit on capacitor value however, because the capacitor connected across all timer terminals effectively conducts Magneto current from EVERY coil timer terminal to engine ground. The risk with too large a capacitor value is ALL coils firing spark for EVERY magneto pulse regardless of timer roller/brush/flapper position at high engine speed due to the increased voltage and frequency of the magneto output. There may not be a optimal value of capacitance that effectively suppresses contact arc but does not cause simultaneous firing of all coils at every magneto pulse at higher engine speed.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic