Lowering a touring top to get in a trailer

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Oldav8tor
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Juhl
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1917 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50297
MTFCI Number: 24810
Board Member Since: 2018

Lowering a touring top to get in a trailer

Post by Oldav8tor » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:17 pm

OK, I admit this is a newbie question but I'm not proud :-) I'm looking for a enclosed trailer to haul my '17 touring and am stymied by the height of the door required if I want to leave the top up. The highest point of the car with the top up is 7 feet. I've seen a number of nice trailers but the doors are typically only 69 to 72 inches high.

I have yet to install a top on my car which I hope explains my ignorance. My question is this - if I were to release the hold-down straps at the windshield, can I lean the bows back enough that I can A.) get thru the trailer door without ripping the top off and B.) still be able to drive the car onto the trailer. I'm not talking about detaching the bows and moving them to the rear storage position, just leaning the whole thing back a bit to lower it.
Clumsy, yes - but is it doable?
1917 Touring
1946 Aeronca Champ
1952 Willys M38a1 Jeep (sold 2023)
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Lowering a touring top to get in a trailer

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:26 pm

Absolutely do-able...and many people do it...until they don't. I used to store my roadster at a friend's home with a very low garage door...for the time it was stored there, that's what I did.

With respect to trailers, I've got a friend who has destroyed two tops and finally sold the trailer and bought one with extra height. :D

I think the key is: Do you have a genetic disposition toward early onset dementia, or will you have a bullet-proof memory the next time it's raining cats and dogs and you want to put it in the trailer? :( If you go with the lower trailer, you also need to be sure the top won't crash into the roof when the trailer bounces on the road and the T is boinging around inside :o

And finally, is a new top more or less expensive than a taller trailer? My conclusion is that it is more expensive than the extra-tall trailer and therefor I went with the tall trailer.

FWIW.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:29 pm

I have no connection with the sale but someone has a tall trailer for sale in the classified section
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm

I have to drop the top to get my cars in the trailer but it is not much of a problem as I usually leave the top down anyway. The problem came when I bought my Centerdoor. Can't drop the top on that so it is relegated to local driving or I have to rent an open trailer to haul it. If I had it to do over again I would go for the highest trailer door I could get.

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Whatever works

Post by FreighTer Jim » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Whatever works for you - go for it .... ;)

Several years ago I met KD at a home in Bakersfield where I was picking up a couple cars.

KD was picking up the the 1917 Rip Van Winkle Touring T.

Both of us had enclosed car hauler trailers with 78 inch rear door clearances.

KD had to lower the top on the RVW Touring T which I know he would have rather not done.

I promised myself right then & there - I would only build custom enclosed car hauler trailers that had a nominal 8 foot rear door.

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 am

You need to get a later T after 1923 the cars had a "one man top". Easy to raise and lower by myself. Two people can lower your top without a lot of problems, just need to be careful not to drop one leg of the top and scratch the paint.
Norm

dobro1956
First Name: Donnie
Last Name: Brown
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Sport Touring, 1919 Speedster, 1914 Speedster, Wards tractor conversion, non starter 1926 Improved Touring
MTFCA Number: 49575

Post by dobro1956 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:12 am

I agree with Scott. Its not "If" you will forget to lower the top, Its "when" A couple years ago at the end of the Chickasha swap meet, I got to witness someone have his "when" moment. He said he had loaded the car many, many, times OK, He was in no hurry, loading inside the building, so there was no wind, cold, or rain to add to the event. He said he was just "tired" . When I bought my trailer, I made sure that it was tall enough for any model T to fit with the top up. Just my 2 cents worth.

have fun and be safe ...........

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Norman Kling wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:39 am
You need to get a later T after 1923 the cars had a "one man top". Easy to raise and lower by myself. Two people can lower your top without a lot of problems, just need to be careful not to drop one leg of the top and scratch the paint.
Norm
A one man top is almost a play on words.
It can be done with one man, but I would not say easy !! :?

SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by SurfCityGene » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:22 pm

I made a bracket that I attach to each side about 4 inches long so I can lower the vertical height of my top but not lay it down. I remove the nut for the bow and install the bracket then by flexing the bow outward and lowering it down I reinstall it back on a pin of the bracket. I then go to the opposite side and do the same. This lowers the top enough so I can drive the car in my trailer. I do raise the top back up before I trailer it an distance.

This works very nicely and is much easier than removing the straps and laying the top down.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic