Lost High Gear

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Sam_Mendenhall
First Name: Sam
Last Name: Mendenhall
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 462
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 15031
Board Member Since: 2014

Lost High Gear

Post by Sam_Mendenhall » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 am

The car I just bought had been setting for 20 some years, when it went into a museum status it had a fresh engine and transmission, I am led to believe that the brake lever was left in the down mode in high gear which I think could have caused the clutch disc to stick together? After starting the car I had low band and after letting clutch out no high, the car will also roll with the lever in the down position. My question if I drain the oil and fill with kerosene or transmission fluid to let soak, which would you all recommend.

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Re: Lost High Gear

Post by George Andreasen » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:06 am

Not sure if I understand......if the clutch discs are "glued" together, wouldn't the car be stuck in high? In any case, I think I'd take the transmission cover door off and operate the pedal while watching what's going on inside.

If the problem is being caused by old sticky oil, some ATF might loosen it. I wouldn't add too much to the engine oil though, perhaps 1/2 quart and run that for a short time. Kerosene has no lubrication properties and might cause more problems than solving them!

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:21 pm

With George on that symptom, for the T to roll easy as stated, the clutch spring is compressed, so that it isn't using its 90 lbs pressure to engage the clutch plates and allow high...if the low pedal commands forward action, and drives the T, then the clutch is 'out', i.e. no clutch spring pressure.

Would best to remove the floor boards, and check action of the clutch lever on the side of the hogshead, as you pull the brake/clutch handle back and forth. Look for the low pedal clevis attachment to function, and see that the clutch adj. bolt allows the clutch spring to engage.

Could be just museum adjusted wrong. May also be necessary to pull the inspection cover and watch what is happening.

Many museums also dry the car, no oil, and no gas, no coolant.

So maybe, check oil level first, then warm the engine to operating temp, then drain the out the oil, and replenish with fresh oil....run again to warm, this time jack up the rear wheels, and keep trying to engage the clutch, using the hand brake/clutch handle, to allow high to engage.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

Jim Sims
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe
MTFCI Number: 13377

Post by Jim Sims » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm

My idea is that it is just a problem with the linkage. Possibly something is preventing the hand lever from fully moving ahead into high gear. If all is adjusted correctly , you may need to adjust the three pressure screws in the transmission.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:34 pm

sam_mendenhall wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:46 am
The car I just bought had been setting for 20 some years, when it went into a museum status it had a fresh engine and transmission, I am led to believe that the brake lever was left in the down mode in high gear which I think could have caused the clutch disc to stick together? After starting the car I had low band and after letting clutch out no high, the car will also roll with the lever in the down position. My question if I drain the oil and fill with kerosene or transmission fluid to let soak, which would you all recommend.
The problem you have is that your high speed clutch is not engaging.

What you're thinking may be the problem, and how to correct it, addresses the exact opposite problem, namely: a stuck clutch, which you do not have.

Chances are, that your clutch spring is broken, or that your clutch linkage is so far out of adjustment that it won't allow the clutch to engage. It would be best to post photos of the linkage exterior to the transmission with the stick all the way forward as well as all the way back, and also interior transmission photos (inspection cover removed), with the stick in both settings.

When the stick is fully forward, does the little adjustable linkage piece, that goes from the bottom of the clutch pedal to the bell-crank on the transmission housing, go slack? In other words, can you tell if that link is still pushing on the pedal/bell-crank, or can you wiggle it around as if it's not "loaded up" with some force acting on it. It should be slack. If not, it's pushing on the bell crank and keeping the clutch from engaging.

Topic author
Sam_Mendenhall

Post by Sam_Mendenhall » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Jerry, Dan and George, none of the clutch linkage had been touched since car was built. I pulled the inspection plate on transmission and on further inspection found there is a space between the first two spring rings and the third about 1 inch apart. I don't think that is correct? If the spring is broken can it be removed by pulling the rear end out and would the hogs head have to be removed? I have heard of this being done but I have never done myself. I really don't want to pull the engine if not necessary. If anyone reading this has done this procedure let me know. Thanks Sam

George Andreasen
First Name: George
Last Name: Andreasen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 0...building from parts

Post by George Andreasen » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Sam, that spring can be replaced while the engine is in the car, and the method is detailed in the Ford factory service manual (known as "the bible). The rear end has to be at least pulled back, and the car supported on safe jack stands. I have never done this myself, but read up on it in the manual.

Jim Sims
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 17 touring 20 roadster 21coupe 25tudor 25 pickup 27 coupe

Post by Jim Sims » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Sam, the way you describe the spring sounds normal for a good spring. I would suggest that you rotate the engine and look all around the spring. if it is broke you should see the break.

Jim Sims

Post by Jim Sims » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Sam, I will say that you do not have a broken spring and you should check all adjustments.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:48 pm

One thing not mentioned was the length of the brake rods. If they are adjusted too long, they won't allow the lever to move forward far enough to engage high gear. When you remove the clevis pins can you move the lever farther forward into high? Also with the floor boards in, does the parking brake lever hit the front edge of the hole in the floorboard? Will it move farther forward with the boards removed? Look at the cam on the parking brake shaft. With the lever forward, the bolt on the clutch lever must not be touching the cam. If it is, it will hold the transmission in the neutral position. If all these checks do not reveal the cause, then you might need to do some investigation internally in the transmission.
Norm

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:17 pm

sam_mendenhall wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:28 pm
Jerry, Dan and George, none of the clutch linkage had been touched since car was built. I pulled the inspection plate on transmission and on further inspection found there is a space between the first two spring rings and the third about 1 inch apart. I don't think that is correct? If the spring is broken can it be removed by pulling the rear end out and would the hogs head have to be removed? I have heard of this being done but I have never done myself. I really don't want to pull the engine if not necessary. If anyone reading this has done this procedure let me know. Thanks Sam
Post a picture........

Topic author
Sam_Mendenhall

Post by Sam_Mendenhall » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:32 am

After adjusting the fingers two times I finally got high gear and a good neutral.
Thanks to all for you help. Sam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic