Non-skids vs standard tread

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Alfaromeo
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Hinton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Non-skids vs standard tread

Post by Alfaromeo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:22 am

Hi, I need to replace four tires on a 1918 Scripps Booth. This car came standard with five Houk wire wheels, 30 x 3 1/2 tires, etc...so, it has a set of Firestones that should be replaced.

I am seeing prices of $200 for a standard tread Firestone vs. $300 for a Non-Skid tread. Of course, the Non-skid tread *looks* interesting, but could someone with some experience talk about the driving characteristics? The Scripps will stay on the road, not heading through mud roads, I hope, etc...so a standard tread might be the best option.

Thanks

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Non-skids vs standard tread

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:32 am

I haven't used NON SKID because of reading on the forum that they wear faster than a normal tread. They sure do look neat, though. :)
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KWTownsend » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:56 am

Jay-
I have Non-Skid tires on my 1911. 30x3 in the front and 30x3-1/2 in the rear. They run and drive just fine. However, they DO wear rather quickly. Consequently, I have a new set of Excelsiors that I will be putting on soon. From what I understand, the only tires that wear out faster than NON-Skids and all white tires.

The Excelsior tires were not the most cost effective, but from the research I did have shown to have the smallest tire profile, and do not appear as an "ex-size" tire. Many other tires are quite oversized and, especially the 30x3 tires, look like "clown shoes" on the skinny 30x3" wheels.

Good luck with the Scripps Booth.

: ^ )

Keith

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:19 pm

I non skids on the front wheels of my car for almost 20 years before they wore out. I replaced them with the non skids available today and they didn't last a year! They might be good for a looker but they stink for a driver!

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:09 pm

Thanks for that, Val. Good to know. It seems the tires made are not holding up as well as those made in years past. That's too bad.

Just speculating, but I can't help wondering if the "non-skid" design didn't prove to give less mileage on pavement than other tread patterns back in the day. They seemed to have been discontinued about the time paved roads were becoming more and more common.
"Get a horse !"

Russ T Fender
First Name: Val
Last Name: Soupios
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '10 touring, '12 touring, '13 hack, '14 runabout, '14 touring, '14 speedster, '22 centerdoor, '27 touring

Post by Russ T Fender » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:51 pm

That is a good point you make about the non skid design. The high relief of the lettering puts less rubber on the road and probably causes accelerated wear as opposed to a full profile tread design but the new ones still wore very fast compared to the old ones. I attribute the difference to the material being used to make the tires we are getting today. I notice faster tire wear on all the new tires regardless of the tread pattern. The only exception I have seen is with the Excaelsior tires I have on one of my cars. They seem to hold up much better for some reason.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Jay
I would not be offended of you post a photo of that SB.
A friend has on and its something you dont see often. His car is untouched.
20161217_102350.jpg

MikeSommers
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sommers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31711
MTFCI Number: 23889

Post by MikeSommers » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:35 pm

I have "NON SKID"s on my '13 Touring. It does not matter how fast they wear, my experience is that women really find them very 'sexy'. I always get lustful looks, wanton gazes, and proposals for me to come 'back to their places', when they see me with my car & white non-skids.

Unfortunately, their 'place', happen to be retirement homes...

Run Forrest, Run...

Mike

Aussie16
First Name: Warwick
Last Name: Landy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 LHD USA Touring 1916 RHD Canadian Touring 1916 Pickup

Post by Aussie16 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:22 am

I agree with all other comments re longevity. The new Non-Skids are way to soft and wear very quickly. Nice for a display car but poor for a driver.
_

TonyB
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Bowker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 touring
MTFCA Number: 32
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TonyB » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:18 am

I had NON SKID on the CDO. They lasted the decade I owned the car but probably on did a few thousand miles during my ownership. They look good.
Tony Bowker
La Mesa, California
1914 Touring, 1915 Speedster, 1924 Coupe.

Jugster
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Coiro
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Touring
Board Member Since: 2009

Post by Jugster » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 am

As Firestone’s sales strategies went, the iconic, NON-SKID tire was right up there with “Gum-Dipped” cords and according to The Firestone Story, a History of the Firestone Rubber Company, 40% of the 105,000 tires sold in 1909 were NON-SKIDs, as were 60% of the 168,000 tires sold the following year. Its unique tread did indeed take a firmer grip on soft dirt roads and, compared to smooth tires, made for improved traction on wet pavement. An advertisement in the Oct. 8, 1908 issue of “Motor Age” claimed, “Thus the name prevents the slip…. The letters of the words form more angles and points of contact than any other non-skid tread. The spaces in and between the letters cause just the right amount of suction to grip the slippery road and prevent the side slipping.”

Coker Tire is up front about admitting that their Firestone NON-SKID tire will wear out faster than just about any other tread design. While that’s certainly true of even the black incarnation of this tire—two sets of which wore out for me in rapid succession—absolutely nothing will wear out faster than white NON-SKIDs—not a good thing for a tire that commands a premium price, but when it comes to looking cool, they’re head and shoulders above all the rest. (Well, sort of. Although the specification numbers indicate that NON-SKID and regular-tread Firestones are of the same diameter, when I measured them side by side, the regular-tread tire stood almost two inches taller.)

Being a man of blue collar and brown shoes, I switched over from the Firestone NON-SKID to their much meatier standard tread tire and now enjoy somewhat better handling and far better wear. My NON-SKIDs were an expensive, albeit gorgeous habit (and gorgeous always comes at a cost).

FATMAN
First Name: ROBERT
Last Name: BERGSTADT
MTFCA Number: 1575

Post by FATMAN » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:15 pm

The old non skids seem to keep up good as on this very original 1915 touring that is going up for sale, Bob
Attachments
NON SKIDS 004.JPG
NON SKIDS 002.JPG
NON SKIDS 001.JPG

Topic author
Alfaromeo
First Name: Jay
Last Name: Hinton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe

Post by Alfaromeo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:51 am

thanks v. much for all the non-skid info....I think I will have to stay with a more normal tire, and just look with envy at the cars at Greenfield Village with their fancy tires...

Here is a link to the car I purchased :

http://www.scrippsboothregister.com/Scr ... Index.html

Its the yellow one at the bottom of the photos. I will try and take some better photos and post them.

It does have the distinction of being a Barney Pollard restoration, which delights me. The colors are not correct, but, its still pleasant looking. I would like to show it at the Old Car Festival this year, if I can get it trailered up...the last time it was shown there was 1973....

I do not know if the other cars are still for sale, but one could inquire, if interested. I will point out, my car is a Model G, meaning it has a Chevy four in it, and that has to be a blessing, simply by default, as the original Sterling four engine was something of a lemon, according to James Scripps Booth himself. Parts are v. difficult for the Sterling engine.

If you wish to see his grandson's car, with Sterling engine, look here : https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/wp- ... 50x300.jpg

I saw this car in 2016, with the grandson driving it. great looking car.

Dallas Landers
First Name: Dallas
Last Name: Landers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Rpu, 23 TT, 24 coupe,
MTFCA Number: 49995

Post by Dallas Landers » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Jay, I remember that car at OCF in 2016. Looking forward to seeing your SB there. A very small number of these cars exist. My buddy's 21 touring is on of two known.

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:52 pm

GEE and all this time I thought non skids were clean underware! :roll: :roll:
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic