Financing a Model T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Nimrod
First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Kleinow

Financing a Model T

Post by Nimrod » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:56 pm

Are there options to obtain financing for the purchase of a Model T? I did a quick search on the Internet and I found some advertisements for classic car loans, but they don't appear to include Model T's. And for the record I don't want to do a personal loan or home equity loan. So, is there any place out there that does financing for Model T's?

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Re: Financing a Model T

Post by DHort » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Some car dealers sell Model T cars. Maybe contact them and ask if they can arrange a loan with you.

Bob_Rogers
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 TT "project"
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Bob_Rogers » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:45 pm

If you are a member of USAA, they will finance an antique auto loan. ☺

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Try these guys. J.J. BEST BANC & CO. (800 872 1965)

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 pm

You could also do a personal loan, or an equity line on real estate you own. The interest on an equity line may be tax deductable so check on that with your tax person.
1926 Tudor

EricMac
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Macleod
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 24 Touring, 26 Fordor, 27 Fordor, 27 Touring, '92 Stynoski, '06 Stynoski owner emeritus
MTFCA Number: 50125
MTFCI Number: 19464

Post by EricMac » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:59 pm

I have used Lightstream for an antique auto loan. Their rates were good and the turn-around was quick, 3-4 days.
1913 Touring
1926 Fordor
1926 Touring
1927 Touring
Stynoski 2006, Nash, Franklin, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick owner emeritus

FreighTer Jim
First Name: James
Last Name: Jarzabek
MTFCA Number: 29562
MTFCI Number: 24398
Board Member Since: 2008

Penalties & Interest

Post by FreighTer Jim » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:31 pm

I took out a personal loan once from these Guys:

Carmine
Roscoe
Iggy
Manny The Bowler
Eddy The Juice

The Penalties & Interest were more than the Loan ... :shock:

FJ
Google “ Model T Transport “
MTFCA - MTFCI - MAFCA Member

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:31 am

We used our local banker. Oop, she retired. The replacements wanted to do a home equity... Nope, we don't need your services.
Keep working at it Glenn. You'll find the banker to suit your needs. :)
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

ivaldes1
First Name: Ignacio
Last Name: Valdes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50406

Post by ivaldes1 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:33 am

Do a credit card balance transfer using those checks that come in the mail. The APR is often zero. Don't use the card after that and don't miss a payment or the interest rate will zoom up high.

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:42 am

You might try your insurance company. I've never financed a Model T, but State Farm offers very competitive rates. We finance all our new vehicles through them. Collateral is collateral. If the T is worth more than you are trying to borrow, then I doubt they would have a problem with it. Ain't like it's gonna depreciate like a new one will, so they really ought to have even less problem with it.

Mike Thomas
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Thomas
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe

Post by Mike Thomas » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 am

I don't think I could borrow money to finance my hobby. This situation might be considered an investment opportunity, then borrowing might be considered.

Hal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)

Post by Hal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:07 am

I suppose one might characterize borrowing money for a hobby as being financially irresponsible. I've heard it before. It takes all kinds. If someone can make the payments, then what difference does it make? Perhaps someone who doesn't have $8K to $10K in non-committed liquid assets doesn't deserve to own a Model T? Like I say, takes all kinds, but I don't think that way.

John Codman
First Name: John
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 am

If you have access to a credit union, they might finance it. I once financed a Piper Cherokee through my wife's credit union. To this day it is the only airplane they ever financed. The loan was paid off early, so I can think of no reason why they wouldn't do it again. Why not a Model T? It can't fly away.

Ruxstel24
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hanlon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Touring car
MTFCA Number: 50191
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Ruxstel24 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Y'all got it bad !! :lol:
I think my dad paid $100 for my T in the 50s.
A trailer full of bushel baskets it was...
Maybe the times have changed a bit. :?

Will_Vanderburg
First Name: William
Last Name: Vanderburg
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2
MTFCA Number: 28382

Post by Will_Vanderburg » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:23 pm

I financed mine with the owner. No interest, xxx down, and xxx per month until paid in full. It took one year.
William L Vanderburg

1925 Touring
1922 Center Door Sedan

Tim Rogers
Last Name: Rogers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe & 1923 Runabout
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by Tim Rogers » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Wow! I can't imagine going into debt for a T! To each their own I guess...
<o><o><o><o> Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks - Forum member since 2013 <o><o><o><o>

Rich Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 runabout

Post by Rich Bingham » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Interesting topic. People go (deeply) in debt for "conventional" recreation all the time. Motor homes, camp trailers, cruise ship excursions, guided hunting trips, fishing boats, etc. etc. Maybe a lasting stigma for violating fiscal responsibility and thrift was inherently breathed into each flivver by Henry Ford hisself ? :o

As one acquires parts and processes over years to complete a restoration, I think a "pay as you go" mentality is the norm for most of us who are afflicted. That approach may actually be rather prodigal; borne out by the fact that few restorations recoup the costs involved when the car is sold. It well may be much better business to take a loan for a desirable, complete car. I took a loan to buy my Lizzie a couple of years back because I did not want the opportunity to pass while I was converting resources. I did it, and I'm glad ! :D
"Get a horse !"

Chad_Marcheese
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Marcheese
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Cut Off Touring / Pickup, 1923 Doodlebug / 1924 Speedster Gow Job
MTFCA Number: 26904

Post by Chad_Marcheese » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:52 pm

Nothing wrong with taking a loan....as long as it is a loan you can afford. My opinion is if you cant make 3-4 times (2 times at a minimum) the minimum monthly payment, then your probably going to owe more than you would ultimately like to spend (or could afford to spend).

I have done various loans over the years, my favorites are the interest free loans given by credit cards. I use them all the time to get what I want now vs later. Yes, I could use my savings to do the same and give myself an interest free loan, but my money sitting in the bank continuing to making money on interest and using a credit card offer for free sounds much more appealing. Plus, if you don't use cards regularly, it helps keep your credit up.

It isn't necessarily irresponsible (at least in my opinion), that issue usually comes when you could afford to pay off a $5,000 loan, but the bank says they can give you $15,000 and you take it and get in over your head. They do the same with house and modern auto loans.

And as others stated, sometimes you need a little boost to not lose out on something you might have always wanted. Just do it responsibly. I speak from experience, as I spent most of my life running my finances into the ground...buy now figure out how to pay for it later. It is no way to live and glad I was able to straighten my life out and clear my debts.

Hal

Post by Hal » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:34 pm

This discussion reminds me of Jimmy Stewart in its a wonderful life, where Potter says the lower class people should have to wait until they can pay cash in order to own a home, rather than finance it. Easy for him to say, given his station in life. Might be some of that going on here.

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:00 pm

It is an old car, It will break, there is no warranty, it needs attention, and a good place to store.

So why would anyone finance an old car where the hobby's interest is less and less. Now the engine fails, there goes a good $5,000.00 plus.

I do not understand why. I know I am not alone.

All the Best,

Hank

TWrenn
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Tim Rogers wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:20 pm
Wow! I can't imagine going into debt for a T! To each their own I guess...
Tim, basically I agree, however, I suspect not too many of us have say $20K (or more) laying around to
plunk down on a fairly nice brass car, let alone a fully restored black car. As for me, I have hit my retirement annuity
more times than I care to admit, but to me, I'm just "borrowing" my own money and paying myself back, so I can
justify it that way. I did the HELOC thing a couple times, mostly for resto expenses, but had to stop that quick as
it can turn into a runaway freight train. After spending thousands to achieve a lofty goal of four T's (and one Model A) and
exceeding that by ending up with six, I quickly realized I needed to downsize or go broke!! I had fun, so it was all good.

TJohn20
First Name: John J.
Last Name: Archibald
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1920 Touring
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by TJohn20 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:54 am

Nimrod wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:56 pm
Are there options to obtain financing for the purchase of a Model T? I did a quick search on the Internet and I found some advertisements for classic car loans, but they don't appear to include Model T's. And for the record I don't want to do a personal loan or home equity loan. So, is there any place out there that does financing for Model T's?
This isn't everybody's way to do it but you could do what I did: self finance a project.

I started out with a basic running gear that was missing several parts. Across the years, I bought parts as I could afford them. It took seven years. That length of time may not be everyone's cup of tea. However, I ended up with a driver, one that I enjoy and I know every nook and cranny of my Model T.

It also didn't require me to get on the hook for interest payments. The "interest" cost was that sometimes I didn't have a part and knew I would have to wait to purchase it.

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:45 pm

Credit union mightbut highly unlikely
They did once on a model A but i had to have a co-signer
As wrll as them being on the title.
Depending on the car price i suggest a private loan company. They loan you 10k if you have decent credit or property interest is higher then the bank but usualy easier money is.
My daughter at 27 told me she had no plans to marry her boyfriend and i was free spend it on thing i wanted
Guess I raised her right

Derek Kiefer
First Name: Derek
Last Name: Kiefer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Touring, 1926 Gow Job
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Derek Kiefer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:49 pm

I wanted a $20k tractor and only had $10k liquid, but the banks wouldn't finance a tractor. I borrowed against my modern truck which was paid off a few months earlier.

3 year loan was financed at 2.9% for an auto loan compared to something like 8% for a personal loan, and completely hassle free unlike a home-equity loan that would require an appraisal.

I don't like to finance a hobby either, but I would if the right car came up at the wrong time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic