Quick change band video ?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Osterman
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Osterman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 runabout

Quick change band video ?

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:48 am

Does anyone have a decent video of removing and installing quick change bands? I’ve never pulled bands without removing the hogs head and my old T was a speedster with a lot of elbow room made the job of changing bands pretty easy. When I rebuilt my ‘23 runabout I installed quick change bands for future band removal and replacement. I want to try some cork inserted linings but don’t want to remove the hogs head.

Paboot
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Bourgeois
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Quick change band video ?

Post by Paboot » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:10 pm

Mark
I just did my 26 Tudor. Not sure if the trans door is the same size. If it is, here’s what I did.
Took the front seats out so I had lots of room. I videoed all I did, but haven’t edited it yet.
Took me about 2 hr. all together. I used the tool for pulling the bands around and made sure before the new bands went all the way in, I tied a wire on the trailing end so I could move the bands into position easier.
Started with the brake one first.
I soaked my bands in oil for a day before.
I hope this helps a bit. It’s not as hard as some say, but it is a bit of a challenge to say the least.
Good luck, PaulB ;)

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks ... I just sent a message to you about this.

D Stroud
First Name: David
Last Name: Stroud
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by D Stroud » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:40 am

Mark, it's been a few years back, but I installed Kevlar bands in our '25 coupe. I just used the "Model T Bible" and did it as it showed. Needless to say, it took a bit longer (by about 3 hours :roll: ) than the book said, but I got it done just fine without removing the hogshead. Just take your time and think through what you need to do and use all of the precautions that have been posted on here. Dave
1925 mostly original coupe.

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:10 am

I do have a question. With all the cautions of making sure the bands are concentric to the drums doesn’t wrangling them out and then back in deform them somewhat?

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:31 pm

Hi Mark, Yes, it's easy to deform the bands when you're installing them. You just have to be real careful, that's all. Do the best you can and it'll be ok.

Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Bob McDaniel » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:15 am

Mark,

I just finished doing this job on my 09 Touring with a 16 engine in it. Someone had put the quick change bands in it and it helped a lot as I don't think it would be possible to do without them. The bands were out of shape from the last guy working on it so when I got the bands out I removed the old cotton and then shaped the metal band around a spare transmission drum I have before putting Kevlar on them. I used the band tool the venders sell with a wood handle to pull the bands back in place and was able to get them in without damage. Just didn't force them back in and took my time. The trick was to remove the brake and low pedals so they are out of the way till all 3 bands are in place. That left room to coil the band down the side of the hogshead and feed it in slow as I pulled on the band tool. The bands did flex and look to bend but did not deform as long as they were not bent backwards more then needed to get through the opening. It was a tight squeeze but it worked and I put in the first band on the first drum next to the flywheel, put the ear back on and then worked that band to the last drum (brake) at the tail end. Then I put in another band on the first drum and again worked it back to the center drum (low pedal) Last band went on the same way and then I hooked them all up. Just remember to put a wire on the end of each band to keep the end from falling down inside the transmission while you pull it in place and keep it on there till the band is in its place and can not get away from you. I had to fish one out when my wire slipped off but it was not to bad with a loop of 12 gauge copper wire. After all 3 were in place I stuffed rags around the sides in case anything wanted to fall inside and tied a thread through the nut and washer and put them back on the pedal shafts after sliding them in place. The rest was easy and a road test is next after adjusting the pedals. I did not keep track of my time and I work slow anyway so it takes me 3 times longer than most slow people on a job like this so don't know if its a 1 day job or 3 day job.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

Doug Keppler
First Name: Douglas
Last Name: Keppler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring
MTFCA Number: 49716
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Doug Keppler » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:46 pm

That was a very good explanation on how to perform that procedure Bob
1924 Touring car
There's No Substitute for Proper Lubrication

Topic author
Mark Osterman

Post by Mark Osterman » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks Bob, Hearing the sequence is very interesting. So you installed the removable ears before sliding them from the first drum position to the brake and low gear. I would have thought they would make it more difficult.

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758

Post by Steve Jelf » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am

It's been several years so I don't remember why, but I found it least difficult to install the brake and reverse bands first and finish with the low band. This isn't what the service manual says, but it worked best for me.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Bob McDaniel
First Name: Bob
Last Name: McDaniel
MTFCA Number: 28428

Post by Bob McDaniel » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:10 pm

When I put the Kevlar in my 26 sedan several years ago I think I did it the way Steve says he did his but it may have a little more room to work in a 26 compared to the aluminum 16 hogs head. At least this time around I put the ears back on before moving the band because I had more room to work next to the flywheel so it looked easier to get the ear on the band and to keep the end of the band from slipping back down inside the transmission while moving from one drum to the next. I don't trust that flimsy band tool with just one notch to stay where we want it. It might have worked either way but I try to do things the safe way in my mind for what that's worth. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it just makes more work. :oops:

So far the new bands are working and I should be able to drive the car again if it ever stops raining and warms up a little. I had a new friend stop by to look at the 26 yesterday with his wife and I could tell this car was not what he was looking for but we loaded him and his wife in the car and took them for a ride anyway because he wants a T and had never rode in one before. We ended up spending the day together and later took them out in the A to get something to eat before ending up back in the pole barn where he showed me how to play my Dad's banjo. I showed him how to adjust the bands and gave him a Lang's catalog and told him to look it over so when he buys his first T he will know what parts are out there and where to find them. We didn't sell the 26 but made some new friends and that is better than anything.
Give an old car guy a barn and he won't throw anything away.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm

This is a procedure where you learn by doing. I have used the manual, ideas from others and etc.
The first time seemingly takes forever. The second time you’ve learned the correct sequence for doing this and that.
The mechanics back in the day were proficient in doing it because they did it all the time.
So I have learned to take my time and avoid mistakes such as not stuffing rags down inside the pan to avoid dropping the nuts and springs.
A video would be a help for sure but it would have to be edited for time because I don’t think the average T owner can do the job in less than an hour! I know that I sure can’t!

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:52 pm

Bob McD

sounds like you had and excellent day.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves