Tips for installing front lowering brackets.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Reno Speedster
First Name: Morgan
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

Tips for installing front lowering brackets.

Post by Reno Speedster » Fri May 13, 2022 12:51 pm

I am working on getting the suspension done on my 26 speedster. I have machined Laurel style lowering brackets for the front axle but I need to drill the holes to fit them to the axle. This needs to be done so there is no play between the axle and the bracket, but getting them in exactly the right place will be a bit of a challenge.

The best approach I have come up with is to machine a stub the will fit in the axle hole with a point on the end in the center. I can machine half the point away so that when I slide the bracket onto the axleI, the flat on the side of the point can go flush against the side of the bracket. By doing this on both sides, I can get a good idea of where the center of the hole in the axle is in relation to the brackets.

I am making the bolts to hold the brackets on out of long 3/4 in Allen cap screws (which existed in the 1920s), so I can fit them perfectly. If I had to, I could ream the brackets and axle to get perfect alignment, but the axle is an nos 26-27 and I would rather not alter it.

Does anyone have any experience they can share to get this job done right?

Kevin Pharis
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Pharis

Re: Tips for installing front lowering brackets.

Post by Kevin Pharis » Fri May 13, 2022 1:34 pm

Don’t over think it... I’ve been running em for years and they have never moved. Make the bolts fit, and it’ll be fine👍
C93C7B57-D326-4B4A-A988-71B1F0395754.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic