Saving the Rivets?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Saving the Rivets?

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat May 14, 2022 4:42 pm

My '25 steel dash (Firewall) has three rivets in addition to the ones for the hood lacing. They were to hold a strip between the dash and the body to either seal it from water or prevent squeaking. I take some pride in making this car as close to original as possible but I don't consider myself a purist. However it was very satisfying to use some original rivets to attach some leftover top material with them. I tried to remove them without mangling them. Then I annealed them hoping they wouldn't break in reinstalling them. A hole and slot were cut in a thin steel plate to hold the rivet while straightening the tangs. Some time was also spent each time one fell on the floor. They are a bit small for these old eyes to spot.
FirWll2.jpg
FirWll1.jpg
Previously I had used some glass setting tape which worked very well. I couldn't save it while removing it and didn't have any more on hand. Someone mentioned felt being used but I worry it might retain moisture and encourage rust on the metal. My dash has rust pits in that area. I just read a suggestion of roofing felt and wish I had thought of that but the top material seems like it should work.
I'm sure I have new rivets that same size I could have used and these don't really show but this just seemed right today. I chuckle to think that some of the most pitiful cars have details that could be considered more original that the 100 point ones. :lol:
Just me.
Rich
When did I do that?