Defective Lifters show up again

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Defective Lifters show up again

Post by speedytinc » Mon May 16, 2022 8:54 am

A fellow bought a 15 touring with a recent "new" motor. Story is he put around 1000 miles on it, but it performed poorly. He rebuilt another motor, switched them out. The old motor was to be repurposed to another T, this is some 10 years later. A bad cam was suspected for the poor running. The cam was pulled & showed nasty wear on 5 of the lobes.(only 5) Why? Then the lifters were pulled. 5 lifters were severly worn. The OD edges hard surfaces cut up the cam lobes. The soft centers of the heads were worn away cupped like a bird bath. I have seen a more severe worn lifler(1) from another motor where the head was completely gone. Only the 7/16" lifter stem remained. The cam was a .270 lift regrind cam.
Worn cam
Worn cam
worn cupped lifter
worn cupped lifter

The loss of lift made for a poorly running motor.

You may recall, a vendor had a bunch of lifters made. The heads were deemed too thick after heat treating. They were reground to spec, but not re heat treated.
These defective lifters keep showing up. The gift that keeps giving.

Dan Hatch
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Hatch
MTFCA Number: 49974

Re: Defective Lifters show up again

Post by Dan Hatch » Mon May 16, 2022 9:58 am

I found one that all left was a stem. Ruined a Stipes 280 cam.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue May 17, 2022 3:59 pm

I taken apart old T engines and found that the original lifters in them some times were still pretty good. Maybe it’s time to start saving good used lifters. Of course they might be some that were slightly worn but not enough to not be reused. Others will definitely have other opinions!

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by Henry K. Lee » Tue May 17, 2022 6:54 pm

Just WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

TFan
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Riedy
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 Roadster
MTFCA Number: 25079
MTFCI Number: 18732
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by TFan » Tue May 17, 2022 11:44 pm

Is there a way to tell which ones are the bad ones? Maybe a Rockwell hardness test. I recently got some from a major vendor and would not want to install if they are the bad ones. Jim
Back road kinda guy stuck on the freeway of life.

Topic author
speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Wed May 18, 2022 8:20 am

TFan wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:44 pm
Is there a way to tell which ones are the bad ones? Maybe a Rockwell hardness test. I recently got some from a major vendor and would not want to install if they are the bad ones. Jim
Hit the ground bottom with a file. If it cuts.......

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 pm

Jim

in all likelihood, the hardness of your new lifters is fine. This softness problem was a good while ago and typically only crops up now as used parts found in service. As mentioned above, a quick swipe across a non-functional area would tell the tale. That said, over the years I've concluded that none of the lifters I've purchased were ready to use as delivered. Herm Kohnke gives a great photo and word description of getting new lifters ready for use: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1346539048 it is worthy of consideration when putting in a new and expensive cam. Feel free to ignore the discussions that follow in that long and sometimes contentious thread, as they provide little extra information pertinent to your question beyond the advice and pictures posted by Herm.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 pm

Correctly made T lifters should be flat on top (with the little divot intact) but they should have a very slight radius on their bottom. They shouldn’t be ground flat on the bottom. The prints are available in Dearborn, MI for anyone to look at.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed May 18, 2022 4:05 pm

What Adam said! Herm was a great guy and a good friend, but his opinion regarding lifter faces was jut plain incorrect. Companies like Tobin Arp, Sunnen and Delta would never have designed and built tappet grinding machines if it was a simple as using a garden variety valve grinder to reface a cam follower face.

tman1913
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Bender
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 Canadian touring, 1924 Roadster, 1926 Mercury speedster, 1927 Roadster p/u, 1920’s bobtail dirt track racer
MTFCA Number: 21160

Post by tman1913 » Wed May 18, 2022 4:18 pm

Thank you Adam and Dan. It’s nice to see correct information posted about lifter design.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed May 18, 2022 4:27 pm

Adam and Dan

thank you for correcting the record

are un-square or lumpy faces acceptable as new or is it worthy to face them with a very large radius with proper equipment after purchase? I would think it would be, but perhaps I am in error again!

It's things like this that make all the people I've never done engine work for, very happy! I'll stick to carbs! :lol:

thanks again
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic