2021 OCF Trip: A few photos

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

2021 OCF Trip: A few photos

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 17, 2022 10:08 am

When my camera was stolen at the Old Car Festival all the pictures I had taken went with it. But recently I discovered that I had downloaded some of them to my laptop. So here are a few shots from the first part of the trip.

IMG_6269.JPG
US highways, and former US highways, near interstates are often great for Model T travel. Here I'm headed east on old 66 in Missouri, and the heavy traffic is on I-44 to the left.

IMG_6278 copy.JPG
"Events" are part of the adventure. North of Montgomery City the car bogged down on a hill and died in a cloud of steam.

IMG_6275.JPG
Waiting to cool down. I put in a little over a gallon of water I had with me, and a passerby donated what he had in his cooler. From here to Springfield Illinois I stopped at every little town to put in more water.

IMG_6280 copy.JPG
Dining on the terrace at Bowling Green.

IMG_6281.JPG
Crossing the Mississippi at Louisiana (the town, not the state).
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: 2021 OCF Trip: A few photos

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue May 17, 2022 10:37 am

IMG_6284 copy.JPG
Welcome to the Land of Lincoln.

IMG_6285.JPG
At Jacksonville I stopped at the Walmart auto shop for an air check. When I told the guy at the counter what the car was he didn't bat an eye, as if they get hundred-year-old cars in there all the time. I told him the key was in the car and he went out to get it. After a few minutes it hadn't rolled into the shop, and I looked out at the parking lot. Three of the shop guys were standing around the car looking at it. I went out and showed them how to start it and drove it into the shop for them.

IMG_6287.JPG
I phoned George Clipner and he Googled radiator shops in Springfield for me. I called Ellenburg's and got directions on how to get there.

IMG_6291 copy.JPG
It's nice to find a radiator shop with a guy old enough to know what to do. In this case the leak was where the overflow tube comes out of the top tank. Dan took out the tube, cleaned everything thoroughly, and soldered it back in. It's been fine since.

IMG_6295.JPG
Last picture: Starting up in the morning, one wheel up for easy start. On to Indiana, Michigan, and the OCF.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

kelly mt
First Name: Pat
Last Name: Kelly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 23 Speedster, 25 TT, 26 Roadster, 27 Tudor

Post by kelly mt » Tue May 17, 2022 11:05 am

Great pics, good story. Thanks.

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 am

Your journeys are always inspiring. Meeting the challenges on the road are the true test.
The wheel up for starting reminds me of a fellow T guy on a tour a few years ago. He had owned and restored Ts for many years. One morning I jacked mine up to start. He asked if I was having tire troubles and I told him it was up to help start. He was surprised and had never heard of that. The next day he mentioned he tried it and was so pleased that it worked so well. It just shows all the tricks aren't as well known as we might think.
I'm glad you found the photos.
Rich
When did I do that?

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George House » Tue May 17, 2022 12:19 pm

Thanks for the journey photos Steve. It’s also good to know that others (like me) jack up a rear wheel to crank start their pre starter Model T s. I even keep a bottle jack and jack stand in the turtledeck for this. 😁🇺🇦
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic