how to make an out of state purchase

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
havnfun
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Kowalczyk
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Speedster, 1913 Runabout, 1923 Roadster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster
MTFCA Number: 49558
Board Member Since: 2017

how to make an out of state purchase

Post by havnfun » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am

Hello everyone,

I have to figure out the process of paying, without taking cash if I decide on that special car. I know taking cash is a BIG NO NO, how have you paid and picked up your vehicle(s). I want to see the car in person prior to payment, at the same time, I would want to bring the car home, if I agree to purchase..?

Thanks in advance

Joe

(208) 870-3099

havnfun@cableone.net
Regards,
Joe Kowalczyk - 1923 Roadster, 1913 Runabout, 1918 Speedster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: how to make an out of state purchase

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:48 am

I bought one Model T with a cashier's check. I paid for the others with personal checks.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:59 am

Another option is to check with your bank and see if there's a branch near where you're going to make the purchase. If so, set it up from your home branch so you can take the seller to the branch near his/her location and trade title for whatever form of payment he/she wants (cash, cashier's check, whatever). It should be fairly easy (and free) to get it set up and it'll take all the cash risk out of the equation for you.

fliverfan
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Chuplis

Post by fliverfan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm

A bank transfer is the safest way especially if the price is renegotiated, for whatever reason, during the personal inspection. How to bring it home depends on how much time you have. Personally, I wouldn't buy it if I thought I couldn't fly out and drive it home. You'll learn pretty much all you need to know about the car during a 1000+ mile "test drive". :D

PAdey
First Name: PETER
Last Name: ADEY
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Runabout Pickup Conversion
MTFCA Number: 32198

Post by PAdey » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:40 pm

I agreed on a price "pending personal visit". Then flew to Calif, looked at the car and was pleased with the description he had provided. Before my trip I mapped out where a branch of my bank was. We drove together to the branch and I initiated a wire transfer to his account. We then went back to the car and transferred the title paper work and I drove it to a storage place I had mapped out previously. I stored it for two weeks (combination lock) while I coordinated enclosed shipment to Texas. The original owner was kind enough to show up at the storage location to help get her loaded. All worked out great and I only had to fly out once. Helps that the seller was a bang up guy - as we find most are.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:48 pm

I agree with Henry Petrion... IF you're lucky enough to have a bank branch of your own bank at or near
the car's location you should go that route. Otherwise, a bank check is a good way to go, I'm surprised that Steve
found someone willing to take a personal check! I've done cash only, cash & check combo, wire transfer, and bank checks, and had no problem in any case. I think it's really what you're comfortable with. I have to think the "hype" about being "pulled over and having your money seized" by the cops is maybe a bit just that... hype. Maybe I'll be proven wrong the next time!! The only problem with the EFT (wire) is unless you're already knowledgeable and totally pleased with the car, you've pretty much bought it sight unseen, and even then, you better hope it exists when you go to pick it up! I actually bought my very first antique car, a model A that way, luckily I dealt with an honest individual! Just my lengthy opinion!

CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:08 pm

Maybe I was tempting fate and just got lucky, but all of my hobby car sales and purchases (over ten transactions so far) have all been done with cash.

Many years ago I went to the Mopar Nationals with $13K in 100 dollar bills stuffed in a fanny pack while on the hunt for a Plymouth Barracuda convertible. Didn't find one, so I re-deposited the money when I got home. Those were the days! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Topic author
havnfun
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Kowalczyk
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 Speedster, 1913 Runabout, 1923 Roadster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster
MTFCA Number: 49558
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by havnfun » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses, really appreciate the input, I bought my first model t with $$$, this time, looking for safer options.
Regards,
Joe Kowalczyk - 1923 Roadster, 1913 Runabout, 1918 Speedster, 1912 Mother-in-law roadster

Bills Auto Works
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Squires
MTFCA Number: 49996
Board Member Since: 2011

Post by Bills Auto Works » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:21 am

I recommend to ALL my Transport customers that they use a wire transfer. (bank to bank)

If you need to be there to see the vehicle then like mentioned above, try to find a branch of your bank in the sellers area before you leave. If not go to your branch & talk to them about setting up a future transfer & explain that you would need to call them from the sellers bank to finalize the transfer.

Don't forget, most times even a bank or certified check will take time to clear! I know it sounds ridiculous but many banks still require a hold.

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/thr ... ed.614419/
Your QUALITY Model T Transporter in Business Since 1983 & Still Going Strong

57,64,66 Pont
(2)66 Amb
67 Marlin
67 Toro
73 Nova
(2)92 XJS
07 XLR-V

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic