Transmission noise that seems odd to my ears

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Transmission noise that seems odd to my ears

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri May 20, 2022 2:25 pm

I have had my Model T for four years and driven it, maybe, 100 miles. It is still a work in progress. I heard a noise today that I needed to ask about. I should mention that I lost much of my hearing a few years before getting the Model T. High frequencies elude me. The noise may have always been there.

I was in my barn tuning the newly cleaned carb. With the engine idling I pressed the brake pedal. I could hear a faint whine, not unlike what I hear clearly when pressing reverse or low. I could only hear it in the barn where I was away from wind noises. I pressed the pedal lightly enough to hear the noise but not lock the brake. Pulsing that way I could barely detect the car rocking forward and back. I am not 100% certain of that because it was not measurable. It was a feeling and not visible.

I researched the condition and I think I have one of 3 things happening.

1. My brake band may have moved forward since the last time I had the transmission cover off letting the band lining rub on the low drum.
2. Squeezing the brake band moved the brake drum forward enough to rub on the low drum or its bushing.
3. Squeezing the band moved the brake drum back to compress the clutch disks.

There is a fourth option where this is normal and I should be happy with it. I don’t want to take anything apart at the moment that might keep me off the road for a while. The car is running well and I don’t want to miss an upcoming club outing. It would be my first where I could actually drive my T with club members. I will open things up after that.

What are your thoughts? Am I missing another option?

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Transmission noise that seems odd to my ears

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri May 20, 2022 4:36 pm

normal for many cars, but sounds like either low or reverse are a tad tight as well
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Fri May 20, 2022 5:31 pm

I agree with what Scott said. Or it could be that when you pushed the brake you might have had youleft foot on the clutch to hold it in neutral and it was a little too far down, which would cause the low band to drag on the drum. Try it with the parking brake in the neutral position. It is normal to have a little gear noise when in neutral, because the engine is turning the gears and drums.
If you have someone in your area familiar with Model T's ask them to listen and what do they think it is.
Norm

Topic author
Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri May 20, 2022 5:51 pm

Thanks Scott and Norm. I had my parking brake set when I tested it. We are having a club gathering in two weeks and I will have some of the guys listen to it.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Fri May 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Mark, have fun at the outing. You and your buggy need some miles laid down!
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri May 20, 2022 8:13 pm

Any past history about the car? Was the engine rebuilt or restored? Sometimes using good used transmission parts to rebuild a T transmission can make it have a different sound. I know because I’ve done that.
I installed a good used low speed drum to replaced the cracked one and it was a whiner for sure. I then pulled the engine and found another good one and it was a lot quieter after that.

I’ve seen posts about others that have done the same thing. One was when a guy changed out a triple gear. That may not be your issue but the T whine is a quirk in them. If it’s a quite one it’s usually OK. The trans mission has to wear in together to get a quite sound I think.
They aren’t a Swiss watch but a Ford T transmission!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic