sediment bowl

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
andy2794
First Name: Andy
Last Name: Apjok
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring

sediment bowl

Post by andy2794 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:43 pm

When I cleaned and painted the frame of my 1916 Touring I removed the gas tank so I could paint that part of the frame and then painted the gas tank. When I put the gas tank back on I could not start the T. I figured out that I was not getting fuel. I must have stirred up the sediment in the gas tank. So I drained all the gas and got a lot of sediment and some water. I removed the sediment bowl and want to check it. Before I stir up another mess, which I know now it was good to have cleaned all that out of the tank, should I take apart the sediment bowl and clean it, or just spray it out with brake cleaner?
KIMG0558.JPG

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Re: sediment bowl

Post by Les Schubert » Sat May 21, 2022 7:57 pm

You should take it apart and clean it out!

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Sat May 21, 2022 7:58 pm

It would behoove you to order a new lead flange gasket & remove the front fitting - there's a screen in there that is most likely packed full of CRAP !!!

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Sat May 21, 2022 9:12 pm

Yes take apart the sediment bulb. As above get a new lead gasket for it. Sometimes you can take them apart and find that some body had a slow gas issue and punched a small screwdriver through the filter screen to open it up. Hope you won’t find that.
Also might be a good idea to take the tank off again and shake it good with pea gravel to loosen up any hardened pieces of gunk and sludge in it. That way you know have the tank clean at least.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic