Trying to get an idiot-proof free neutral for shipping my T

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Reno Speedster
First Name: Morgan
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

Trying to get an idiot-proof free neutral for shipping my T

Post by Reno Speedster » Thu May 26, 2022 11:58 am

I am picking my 1922 up in a couple of days and taking it to the port to be shipped to Alaska. I need to get as free a neutral on the handbrake as possible so the shippers can move it (they will not drive it). The car has Rocky Mountain brakes and the the transmission brake does not really need to work during shipping. I can readjust things when I pick it up to make it drivable.

I have the ford manual with instructions on how to adjust things so the car runs well and I have read the instructions on line. But this is a bit different. Any advice on how to get an idiot-proof free neutral on the handbrake would be appreciated.

Kbillet
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Billet
MTFCA Number: 50226
MTFCI Number: 24863

Re: Trying to get an idiot-proof free neutral for shipping my T

Post by Kbillet » Thu May 26, 2022 12:15 pm

Couldn’t you post a note stating to move the brake lever the whole way forward and to then pull it back and watch the left peddle. When that peddle moves forward slightly, that’s neutral. Than pull the whole way back for the parking brake.
Kbillet

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Thu May 26, 2022 12:31 pm

Maybe try elongating the adjustable linkage between the high speed bell crank and the clutch pedal. You'd be removing all of the clutch pedal "free play", and then some, thereby keeping pressure off of the high speed clutch. Would have the same effect as holding the clutch pedal in the neutral position with your foot.

OR

Just find a way to lock the stick on the neutral position.

ThreePedalTapDancer
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Martin
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1909 Touring

Post by ThreePedalTapDancer » Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 pm

Put the brake lever upright and insert a block of wood into the slot in front and behind the lever and secure it from moving.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Thu May 26, 2022 12:46 pm

What Ed said except place the block in the floorboard slot AHEAD of the brake lever so that as the cam, starts to go from neutral to high, will tend to push the brake lever forward. Make the block just wide enough to keep the lever back just before the cam starts forcing the brake lever into high gear. One behind the lever is ok also, but is not really needed, but ………….

MichaelPawelek
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Pawelek
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Touring, 1925 Coupe
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by MichaelPawelek » Thu May 26, 2022 1:38 pm

Besides blocking the brake lever in the most neutral position what about loosening the spark plugs just enough so that if the engine tries to spin the compression will leak out and the T will be easier to push.

Someone tell me if this is a stupid idea….:)

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Post by Humblej » Thu May 26, 2022 2:16 pm

There is no idiot proof free neutral. I second Dans suggestion.

I have transported a T by ship. Forget about posting instructions, diagrams, and any expectation that they will follow them, they will not. Do not leave the spark plugs out or loose, it will be left outside in bad weather, and handled with the care of wild angry gorillas.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu May 26, 2022 2:29 pm

It is not possible to get it completely free with the clutch disks, which drag a little. I would suggest since you don't need the parking brake, that you take out the clevis pins from the rods and pull the parking brake lever all the way back and tie it in that position. If your rocky brakes are also locked by the parking brake. pull out the link.
Norm

Topic author
Reno Speedster
First Name: Morgan
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

Post by Reno Speedster » Thu May 26, 2022 4:01 pm

Thanks for the tips. It is going inside a container, not on deck. I do need the parkiNg brakes to work (shippers requirement) I don’t need the transmission brakes to work.

Ed Baudoux
First Name: Edward
Last Name: Baudoux
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Fordor 1926 Huckster 1930 Fordor 1930 Tudor
MTFCI Number: 24216

Post by Ed Baudoux » Thu May 26, 2022 4:11 pm

Remove the U-Joint.
Grayling Michigan
1927 Fordor
1926 Huckster
Founding member of Northern Michigan Drone Skeet Shooting Club :twisted:

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Thu May 26, 2022 4:51 pm

My first thought reading from the beginning, is that a lot of people missed a very important detail. For a variety of reasons, mostly involving safety and liability issues, the hand brake MUST if at all possible be functional by simply pulling back on the hand lever! So, any sort of blocking it or locking it into neutral without the ability to pull it the rest of the way back is a bad idea.
A small rope could be tied to something under the seat and run forward to prevent the hand brake from being pushed all the way forward, but still allow it to be pulled back and set the Rocky Mountain brakes (provided they are set up to work that way?).
If the clutch is draggy? You could remove the small transmission cover, then back the three adjusting screws out a little bit so that the clutch pressure collar can be more loose (put the cotter pins back in?). Carefully count the half-turns and remember them, so that putting them back to where they were is simple and easy. Of course you may discover that some adjustment might be needed anyway?

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu May 26, 2022 4:57 pm

Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:51 pm
My first thought reading from the beginning, is that a lot of people missed a very important detail. For a variety of reasons, mostly involving safety and liability issues, the hand brake MUST if at all possible be functional by simply pulling back on the hand lever! So, any sort of blocking it or locking it into neutral without the ability to pull it the rest of the way back is a bad idea.
A small rope could be tied to something under the seat and run forward to prevent the hand brake from being pushed all the way forward, but still allow it to be pulled back and set the Rocky Mountain brakes (provided they are set up to work that way?).
If the clutch is draggy? You could remove the small transmission cover, then back the three adjusting screws out a little bit so that the clutch pressure collar can be more loose (put the cotter pins back in?). Carefully count the half-turns and remember them, so that putting them back to where they were is simple and easy. Of course you may discover that some adjustment might be needed anyway?
Mostly good ideas. Changing the 3 finger adjustment wont give you MORE neutral unless its already dragging. The idea of a cable/rope to prevent high engagement, while maintaining the ability to apply the parking brake is an excellent solve.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 26, 2022 5:34 pm

ThreePedalTapDancer wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:34 pm
Put the brake lever upright and insert a block of wood into the slot in front and behind the lever and secure it from moving.
Good idea! But since others suggest allowing for neutral and brake, just block the unwanted half. No need to write instructions it looks like a hand brake. If they don't recognize it as such they wouldn't think of reading instructions
Attachments
qadrannt.png
qadrannt.png (363.03 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Thu May 26, 2022 5:45 pm

TRDxB2 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:34 pm
Good idea! But since others suggest allowing for neutral and brake, just block the unwanted half. No need to write instructions it looks like a hand brake. If they don't recognize it as such they wouldn't think of reading instructions
Your pix here shows me a simple C clamp or equivalent on the quadrant would do the job easily.

Harry Lillo
First Name: Harry
Last Name: Lillo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedsters, racers, depot hack, coupe
MTFCA Number: 13996

Post by Harry Lillo » Thu May 26, 2022 7:01 pm

Pull the keystock out of the axle to rear hub and leave a bit of slack when putting the wheel/hub back on.
You can even grease it a bit.
The handbrake works. Everything will be fine.
You can do it on both sides if you like.
I do this on all my rollers until I am ready to start them up.
Harry Lillo
Calgary

Bryant
First Name: bryant
Last Name: shafer
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 tudor
MTFCA Number: 51736
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Bryant » Thu May 26, 2022 7:13 pm

Harry said it before me! But when my 26 showed up it rolled around really easy. Took me awhile to figure out why. The axles had the key ways pulled. 😂
“Whether you think you can, or think you can’t-you’re right.”

KWTownsend
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Townsend
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: late 1911 touring, 1915 runabout, 1919 touring, brass speedster
MTFCA Number: 14778
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16305

Post by KWTownsend » Thu May 26, 2022 7:17 pm

Take the spark plugs out and leave it in high gear.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Post by George House » Thu May 26, 2022 7:20 pm

Quick !... install a KC Warford !!
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:57 pm

speedytinc wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:45 pm
TRDxB2 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 5:34 pm
Your pix here shows me a simple C clamp or equivalent on the quadrant would do the job easily.
I'd just tape something, someone is liable to steal the c-clamp
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

EricMac
First Name: Eric
Last Name: Macleod
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 24 Touring, 26 Fordor, 27 Fordor, 27 Touring, '92 Stynoski, '06 Stynoski owner emeritus
MTFCA Number: 50125
MTFCI Number: 19464
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by EricMac » Thu May 26, 2022 10:21 pm

When I started reading the thread my first thought was to pull the keys out of the rear hubs. It takes just a couple minutes and everything else remains functional, thus, I third Harry's suggestion.
1913 Touring
1926 Fordor
1926 Touring
1927 Touring
Stynoski 2006, Nash, Franklin, Lincoln, Cadillac and Buick owner emeritus

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic