Disaster Hath Ensued!

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Jeepbone1
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Kirtner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Touring Car, 1927 Closed Cab TT, 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50618
Board Member Since: 2018

Disaster Hath Ensued!

Post by Jeepbone1 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:01 pm

Disaster hath ensued. We had EVERYTHING ready to go together on my 26 engine tonight and tragedy struck in the form of a drive plate bolt hole breaking out of the brake drum.😭 now to take it ALL back apart to find a replacement. It was the third bolt I started to tighten down and then it suddenly went loose. Just my freekin luck. It was all going so smoothly too fresh field coil, recharged magnets, new spools and screws all set darn near to perfection. Keith Helgeson add this to you book of what else could go wrong. Y'all have no idea how much I wanted this thing to run this week and it definitely would have. There's nothing like something so small to throw the proverbial wrench into things. Stay tuned.

Bill Anziani
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Anziani
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe

Re: Disaster Hath Ensued!

Post by Bill Anziani » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Typical! so sorry to hear. Please keep us posted

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:43 pm

Murphy’s Law- Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

O’Reilly’s Corollary- Murphy was an Optimist.

John Codman
Last Name: Codman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Youring

Post by John Codman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:38 am

Part 2 of Murphy's law - ...at the worst possible time.

Tom Hicks
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:49 am

Nothing but time, you will get it, and it will be right.

I have a ball peen hammer with a head that tends to fly off and a cold chisel if you think it might help.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:30 am

Have you ever heard of Cole's Law?

It's nothing more than thinly sliced cabbage with some dressing on it.

Jim_PTC_GA
First Name: James
Last Name: Fisher
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924, 1925-ish
MTFCA Number: 31822
Board Member Since: 2016

Post by Jim_PTC_GA » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:54 pm

Brad I understand and empathise with your frustration. Everything and I mean everything I have done on my T this year had been 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards. It gets very tiring and sometimes you have to just back away and breath. When I hit these walls I take a break and think about how no one else is coming to fix it so I have to buckle down, disassemble and fix it.

Don't give up. Breath and just think how much expertise your accumulating.
Just give me time to Rust and I'll be good as new. :) Wabi-Sabi

Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:03 pm

Jim_PTC_GA wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:54 pm
Don't give up. Breath and just think how much expertise your accumulating.
BINGO! AND at a young age!
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:08 am

On a scale of 1-10, with Admin Jeff's in-car blown transmission drum at number 10, where does your disaster rate? I know which I would rather be dealing with. I guess 'disaster' is all a matter of perspective.

Allan from down under.

JP_noonan
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:40 am

I think its pretty unfair to numerically judge someone else's bad fortune compared to other's here on the forum. The OP was upset, as we all would be about getting his T about to run and then having a problem. How about a little more compassion, and a little bit less snark.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:32 am

It’s very common for late brake drums to be cracked in that area. In fact almost all of them are. We have built many of them with no problems but you cannot over torque the bolts. I use Loctite on the bolts and tighten them by hand to about 20 ft/lbs.

Erik Barrett
First Name: Erik
Last Name: Barrett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1913 speedster 1924 touring 1925 dump truck

Post by Erik Barrett » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:51 am

It’s pretty safe to say that if you are going to drive these antique cars on modern roads at speeds that are comfortable, it is likely you are going to have what we call an “event”, if the car has not been completely rebuilt with these conditions in mind. Admin Jeff is a friend of ours. This is not his first rodeo, he has experience with cars. We will be working with him to get his T back out on the road.

DHarrison
First Name: David
Last Name: Harrison
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 276
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DHarrison » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:10 pm

I have broken the drum when tightening the bolts and I believe the cause was the plate not being completely seated in the drum. I am now very careful to make sure it is seated. Very lightly start to tighten the bolts and you can you can tell it it pulls up tight with just a little rotation. If one bolt does not pull up tight as quickly as the others, back everything off and get the plate fully seated. And don’t over torque.

RichardG
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Grzegorowicz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 T pickup

Post by RichardG » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 pm

BRAD, BEEN THERE. FURTHER TOO, LOOK AT IT IN THIS WAY, THE OLE GIRL WAS LOOKING OUT FOR --U--YOU COULD HAVE HAD IT TOGETHER FURTHER, AND STARTED IT, WHAT THEN. I KNOW THESE WORDS OF WIT, DON'T HELP MUCH,HOW EVER JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW ,THAT'S PART OF DOING THINGS, THINGS THAT MEAN SOMETHING, GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF THE BUILD.

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:00 pm

Richard G wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:40 pm
BRAD, BEEN THERE. FURTHER TOO, LOOK AT IT IN THIS WAY, THE OLE GIRL WAS LOOKING OUT FOR --U--YOU COULD HAVE HAD IT TOGETHER FURTHER, AND STARTED IT, WHAT THEN. I KNOW THESE WORDS OF WIT, DON'T HELP MUCH,HOW EVER JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW ,THAT'S PART OF DOING THINGS, THINGS THAT MEAN SOMETHING, GOOD LUCK WITH THE REST OF THE BUILD.
Not to worry. When he is done it will be right.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:23 am

John, that's the school teacher coming out in me. Our language has words to describe things which show matters in varying degrees. Like big, large, huge, enormous, gigantic and gargantuan, [and humungus, to delve into the vernacular] to describe the size of something. To describe the broken out bolt hole as disastrous is to go a bit far on the scale of unfortunate occurrences, leaving fewer words left to describe admin Jeff's even worse problem. Is his a catastrophe or even a cataclysm?
In the scheme of things, I would have called the broken bolt hole a setback.

My apologies if I have caused any offence.

Allan from down under.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:11 am

Well Allan B, If someone is going to chastise you for what you said, they may really hate me! I feel so much for Admin Jeff, he does so much for us, I had picked up on his health issues before, and I have been there, blowing something days or even hours before heading out on a planned event I was looking forward to. But on that scale of one to ten? I will say it, Jeff's problem was only maybe an eight. I have seen the aftermath of blown transmissions where even the engine block and crankshaft were not salvageable. That, might be a ten, or maybe not. Maybe a ten is breaking a front spring perch that flips the car!
I wish I was in a position right now to step in and help Jeff get his car together. Right now, I cannot. But I still feel deeply for him. I do not know Brad K other than reading a couple posts here. But I also feel for Brad. I have had more than a few things break during assembly, the race to find another spare and fix it quickly, the disappointment of another delay.
I wasn't planning to say anything here, because I really can't offer anything right now other than minor encouragement. But I thought your point was well taken, if maybe ill timed. My thought reading this thread when it first began is that although disappointing, better to break now with the engine still out, than break later after it is running, and doing major damage.
Some years ago, I had prepared a car that I had driven successfully on a few Endurance Runs and as a final check before loading onto the trailer to leave, decided to check the toe-in on the front wheels. Finding it off only an eighth inch (less than half a centimeter if I recall correctly?), I went to loosen the end clamp, and it broke! The tie rod (connecting rod to some) itself broke! Already running late, my son was afraid I would freak out about it. I replied to him "Are you kidding?! I can't believe my luck! Had I not checked it, it would have held and probably slipped through the tech inspection only to break during the Run! Maybe at speed, on a turn, who knows where and when?" Instead, it broke in my driveway. Where I had spare parts handy. A half hour later, the replacement found, cleaned up, and assembled and adjusted with fingerprints in the paint still wet, we were on our way to another enjoyable two days Endurance Run! One of the luckiest days of my life!

Hal
First Name: Hal
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '22 TT Stake Bed, '18 Touring (Hers)
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Hal » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 am

Well, I see things are just as bad here on the REAL forum as they are down in the basement on the OT forum.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic