Stripping lacquer from brass lamps

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
RGould1910
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Gould
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1910 touring, 1912 roadster , 1927 roadster

Stripping lacquer from brass lamps

Post by RGould1910 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:52 am

Planning on using a paint stripper to remove what appears to be a lacquer finish on brass lamps before polishing.
I've used paint stripper on furniture but never on brass.
Any issues or cautions I should be aware of?
Is there a better way?

W Austen
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Austen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915

Re: Stripping lacquer from brass lamps

Post by W Austen » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:44 am

Richard:
A while back a lot of the lamps out there were coated with a baked on clear plastic that regular stripper wouldn't touch. I found that CRC gasket remover from the auto parts store worked. I have no connection with CRC products it was the only thing that I found to strip the plastic, or lacquer I'm sure there is other strippers.

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:53 am

If you're reasonably certain that it IS lacquer, then just use good old lacquer thinner! I'd try a small, rather inconspicuous spot first just to be sure, but I'd bet it'll turn out fine. That brass can take quite a bit of "punishment", short of 60 grit sandpaper! Give it a whirl and keep us posted. I've done this before on brass that I too, made the mistake of "sealing" with lacquer, only to find out that the brass will still slowly turn to a tarnish even beneath the lacquer. I only have the windshield brackets on the firewall and bolts on my '11 Torpedo lacquered at the moment. The rest of that car and the '13 are void of any sealers on the brass at all. And I don't mind polishing. It's good therapy.

Mark Nunn
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:59 am

There was a discussion in recent months where someone wanted to strip clear lacquer from some lamps. I can't find the post but I think the solution was to soak the lamps in vinegar. The lacquer came off in sheets. Or, am I having a senior moment? I will keep looking for the post.

Found it.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22606&p=174135&hili ... ss#p174135

Ned L
First Name: Ned
Last Name: Lloyd
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Coupe, 1924 huckster
MTFCA Number: 0
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by Ned L » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:29 pm

If true lacquer, I think ammonia does a pretty good job on it.

NorthSouth
First Name: Steve
Last Name: California
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911 Touring, 1912 Warren Speedster
MTFCA Number: 50392

Post by NorthSouth » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:57 pm

I had this same challenge about a year ago. Mr. Tom Zimmer of the Horseless Carriage Club instructed me to go to Costco, buy vinegar in bulk, pour it in a lobster pot, put it on the stove, and bring it to almost a boil. I soaked my clear-coated brass in there and the coating came off almost immediately in big sheets. I used a lightweight brass bristle toothbrush to pull it out of the nooks and crannies. Nothing else has ever work this easily. Thank you Tom.
Attachments
582C8A72-F268-4242-B879-19495549E6AC.jpeg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic