Reverse, what am I doing wrong?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Reno Speedster
First Name: Morgan
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

Reverse, what am I doing wrong?

Post by Reno Speedster » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 pm

I am working on solving a rough running issue, which means a lot of test drives around the block. This involves backing out of the shop, which is not going well. My technique is to start with the hand brake on then press the reverse pedal down and let the handbrake off. Oddly, the car will go backward when the handbrake is about halfway off, but when I lower it all the way, the car tries to go forward and dies.

What am I doing wrong?

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Reverse, what am I doing wrong?

Post by Humblej » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:04 pm

You need to keep your left foot on the clutch and not let it move when you release the hand brake or it will pop up into second gear. Releasing the hand brake half way will keep the left pedal (clutch pedal) in the midpoint so you do not need to hold it with your left foot. But I suggest you keep your foot over the clutch anyway when moving the hand brake. letting the clutch pop into second while stepping on the reverse pedal will cause the engine to bog down and stall.

To drive a T your left foot operates the clutch pedal, your right foot the brake or reverse pedal. To move forward put left foot on clutch but do not press it, put right foot on brake and press it. Now release the hand brake all the way while keeping the clutch pedal in the midpoint, neither pressing it nor letting it pop up. Add gas and spark levers as needed, mash down hard on the clutch and release the brake pedal, you are now in first (low gear). Get up to a few miles per hour and slowly let up on the clutch, you are now in second (high gear). To stop push the clutch pedal to the midpoint if in second gear, or let the pedal up to midpoint if in first gear and step on the brake pedal.

Use the throttle lever like you would use an accelerator pedal, more to go faster, less to go slower. Use the spark for the engine RPM is doing at that moment, midway for idle to moderate RPM, more spark for higher RPM.

Always fully retard the spark lever when starting the engine, once it starts to run bring the spark lever about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the quadrant.
Last edited by Humblej on Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by jiminbartow » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:15 pm

Precisely Jeff. Great explanation! Jim Patrick

Moxie26
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Jablonski
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 407
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Moxie26 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:22 pm

Good evening Morgan..... When you release the emergency brake and the lever is in the vertical position it's still keeps the transmission in neutral, so if you want to reverse the car you can keep your right foot on the brake if you don't want the car to move, then use your left foot to operate the reverse pedal to back the car, release your foot from the reverse pedal and apply the brake pedal... As far as the emergency brake is concerned, when you release the emergency brake from the vertical position and push it all the way forward that will put the transmission into direct drive. As far as the problem you describe, and not knowing the area that you're working in, once you're behind the wheel and want to move the car just simply use the the brake and reverse pedals, then to go forward just press the clutch pedal all the way down, move move the emergency brake lever all the way forward, accelerate for a short way take your foot off the clutch and the transmission will go into direct drive.

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:32 pm

Morgan.... You posted earlier that you had your car out for a 1-hour drive, did you have any problem operating in the car?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:52 pm

You can use the left pedal to hold the transmission in neutral, but you don't have to. You can just put the handle straight up to do that. Some of us actually drive that way, using the hand lever for neutral and the left pedal only for low and shifting into high. For reverse, leave the handle straight up, use the middle pedal to back up, and the right pedal to stop.

Mitch Taylor has some good videos on how to drive: https://www.fordmodelt.net/videos.htm
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Reno Speedster
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

Post by Reno Speedster » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:55 pm

When I took it out for a 1 hour drive, I had no problem starting, going into high, slowing down in low, and stopping. I but I didn’t really need to reverse.

I think my misunderstanding was thinking the reverse pedal operated like low gear, but it does not. You still need to use the clutch pedal or hand brake. Now that I know what I am supposed to do, I will practice and get the hang of it.

I am a bit puzzled about how the car moves in reverse when the clutch is in, but that’s an issue for another time.

The T is such an interesting beast. Lots to learn about how to operate it. I wish I was close to a T club, but I am not. I understand that there are some t guys here in Alaska, but I don’t know any. I really appreciate the guidance and patience I get from the folks on the forum.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:39 am

Using the left foot to hold the clutch in neutral, and your right foot to reverse can be tricky, especially if you screw around in the seat to see where you are going. Maintaining the required position is difficult when you change your body position. I find it much easier to use the handbrake in the neutral position when reversing, and my left foot on the pedal. This leaves the right foot free for the brake.

Allan from down under.

Stephen_heatherly
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Heatherly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 26 coupe and 23 Runabout

Post by Stephen_heatherly » Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:05 am

In order to reverse, the forward gears must be in neutral. You can do this two ways. Either hold the left pedal in the middle, or in other words in neutral, with your left foot and depress the reverse pedal with your right foot or pull the brake lever back so that it is vertical which also will hold the forward gears in neutral and operate reverse with either foot. I recomnend the second method until you get thoroughly accustomed to operating the car. With the lever in the middle the transmission can be operated in low or in reverse but will go into neutral once you remove your foot from the corresponding pedal. The lever must be fully forward to operate in high speed. Basically with the lever partially back the transmission is in neutral unless you depress the clutch or reverse pedal and with the lever fully back the transmission is in neutral and the hand brake is set. It sounds kinda complicated, but with a little practice, driving a model T is very easy.

Stephen

DanTreace
First Name: Dan
Last Name: Treace
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '23 cutoff, '25 touring, '27 touring
MTFCA Number: 4838
MTFCI Number: 115
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by DanTreace » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:29 am

Reno Speedster wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:55 pm

I am a bit puzzled about how the car moves in reverse when the clutch is in, but that’s an issue for another time.

The clutch is a high speed clutch for only direct drive.

With “clutch in”, (hand brake lever forward), pushing in on low or reverse pedal will stall the engine. The low and reverse planetary gears then fight against direct drive. Clutch must be out for low and reverse.
The best way is always the simplest. The attics of the world are cluttered up with complicated failures. Henry Ford
Don’t find fault, find a remedy; anybody can complain. Henry Ford

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:56 am

I put the hand brake lever in the half forward "neutral" position whenever I'm in tight quarters, or backing up, or moving the car into a garage or other tight space. If I stop to open a gate or have any other reason to get out of the car with the engine running, I pull the hand lever all the way back to lock the brakes. When stopped for a traffic light, or any similar situation, I hold the clutch pedal halfway down with my left foot. I found that putting the hand lever halfway forward, then putting my left foot on the clutch pedal, then releasing the hand brake lever, gave me a good feel for where to hold the pedal for "neutral". I soon got used to holding the pedal halfway down for neutral when appropriate. Keeping the hand brake lever halfway forward in tight spaces prevents inadvertently jamming the clutch pedal down into low when trying to stop quickly.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:00 am

When backing up or going forward in close quarters or tight places place the handbrake in neutral ( straight up position when everything is adjusted right ).
The car car will go in reverse or forward in that position. I do it that way to keep from getting my size 13 boots from getting in the way instead of trying the tippy toe method!!

Topic author
Reno Speedster

Post by Reno Speedster » Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:46 am

Just thought I would let folks know that I successfully backed up multiple times today. Thanks for all the advice.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:30 am

It becomes easy with a little practice. But if you have driven sliding gear transmissions for 60 years, it's best to take advantage of the lever-halfway forward option to avoid unpleasant situations when maneuvering the Model T around people, pets, or garage walls and other obstacles. But do make sure your hand lever ratchet is in good working order, and that all related linkage is in good condition and good adjustment. A well-tuned engine will allow keeping the engine speed low when maneuvering in low and reverse, which adds a margin of safety.

Moxie26

Post by Moxie26 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:51 am

Good news Reno keep up the good work and have a safe July 4th

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic