wheel interchange?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
paulgriesse
First Name: paul
Last Name: griesse
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring 1912 touring
Board Member Since: 2003

wheel interchange?

Post by paulgriesse » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:12 pm

I plan to drive my 1912 T in our 4th parade---it has 30X3.5 clinchers but I`m concerned about possible flattires.....Just wondering if I could replace a flat with a wheel and tire from my 1924 T. I`d prefer to fix any flat back home in my shop if I can temporairly use the `24 T wheel.....Would that fit? Thanks, paul

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Re: wheel interchange?

Post by Norman Kling » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:17 pm

Depends on what kind of wheels you have. Do you have the same size on each car? If you have de=mountable rims, are they the same make? You could try it first before you go to the parade. If they are not de-mountables, the axle must match the hub. If rear wheels the drum must also match the shoes. If you have auxiliary brakes they must also match.
Easiest would be if both cars have de-mountable wheels with the same size tires and the same brand rims.
Norm

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:18 pm

Yes. The diameter will likely be a bit different, but, even if your 24 was running 21" it would still work.
The O.D.s will all vary a little with "oversize" tires, even between different oversize tires.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:34 pm

Not so fast!
More importantly, however very likely not a problem? Is what kind of wheel bearings do your wheels have? IF (big IF?) your 1912 has original type ball bearings? The later style roller bearings which are much more common won't be a quick swap. Most early model Ts over the past century got switched from the original ball bearings to the later roller bearings. But not all of them.
My 1915 Runabout still has ball bearings, and some model T people have over the years sought to use the correct earlier bearings on their brass era cars. Sometimes, getting those earlier type bearing races off the spindle becomes a nasty project, best done in the comfort of your garage, not on the side of the road. The ball bearing cone is a tighter fit onto the spindle than is the tapered roller bearing cone, and the earlier spindles do not have the flat edged backing to get a bite with a bearing puller. Sometimes they change easy? Sometimes NOT!
So first, check to see what bearings you have by pulling both wheels. Assuming you have tapered roller bearings all around? Swapping the wheel in case of a flat should be easy (DO NOT forget the cotter pin!).
Enjoy the parade!

Topic author
paulgriesse
First Name: paul
Last Name: griesse
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 touring 1912 touring
Board Member Since: 2003

Post by paulgriesse » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Many thanks, guys-----No problems at all in the Parade----Guess i`ll have to check that wheel interchange sometime HERE, in my shop. thanks, Paul

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic