Allowable variation between cylinder head size?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
SurfCityGene
First Name: Gene
Last Name: Carrothers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 Torpedo Roadster
MTFCA Number: 22905
MTFCI Number: 23068
Board Member Since: 1999

Allowable variation between cylinder head size?

Post by SurfCityGene » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:07 pm

I have heard that the Z heads have some size variation between the different cylinders. Especially compared to a Prus head. This was posted here many months ago so I decided to measure the sizes of my Z head.

I found that cylinders 2 and 3 were perfectly matched at 211 grams of water. #1 measured 210g and #4 held 208g. I think that is a difference a little less than a 1/2" diameter marble in size. One gram of water equals one cc.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the variation of other Z or Prus heads and What would be the max allowable variation?

My Z head has never been surfaced and I've had it for many years.
1912 Torpedo Roadster

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Re: Allowable variation between cylinder head size?

Post by Allan » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:05 pm

In such a large combustion chamber volume, the discrepancies are not great, and would have little effect on performance. Of greater concern with Z heads is the variation in combustion chamber shape at the gasket surface. They often need some finessing to give clearance on the gasket/piston and to accurately match the footprint of the gasket.

Allan from down under.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Allowable variation between cylinder head size?

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:19 pm

I would think that was very good! A roughly one percent variant in chamber size? You will have a greater anomaly than that due to the flow characteristics in the manifolds! Cylinders one and four flow better on the intake that do cylinders two and three. And cylinder number two has the worst flow on exhaust due to it following cylinder number one so closely. If you ever notice, exhaust manifolds usually reach glowing red between two and three first. Cylinder four also is restricted by cylinder two's passing exhaust ahead of it, however it dumps into a larger and expanding exit.
Your combustion space variation is minimal in comparison.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic