Generator slow to start charging.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Novice
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Davis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring. 1923/26 Open Express. 1920 depot hack
MTFCA Number: 49832
MTFCI Number: 24686
Board Member Since: 2017

Generator slow to start charging.

Post by Novice » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:47 pm

The generator is original 6 volt on a 26 engine and when You start up and bring it to a fast idle the amp meter shows no charge with or without load/lights on. Manuely holding the cutout closed does not speed up the process. after a few minutes it usually starts charging slowing coming up to about 9-10 amps charge with or without load. It seem's like the generator magnets may need to be reflashed every time the engine is started ?
I don't be knowing. Your ideas please.

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Re: Generator slow to start charging.

Post by AndreFordT » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:19 pm

DSCN379701.jpg
DSCN379501.jpg
Jim,
I don't think you have problem with the magnets of your generator.
I should first clean all the connections on the wires starting on the generator and going to the battery connection. Check also the ground connections.
Than connect a 12V 21W light bulb between the generator output (not the cutout output) and the ground. Start the engine and watch the lamp.
If the cutout is not shorted to the ground, the lamp should just light up. Disconnect the wire at the cutout terminal ( pay attention this wire is HOT) and watch the lamp. It should become very bright. If you have no light your generator need a clean up or a total overhaul.

If the lamp lights up, test with a voltmeter (analog) the tension on the out put. It should be higher as 7V. Your cutout closes at about 7V.
As it take some time to show a charge on your amp. meter I think your problem is dirt.

Good luck
Andre
Belgium

John.Zibell
First Name: John
Last Name: Zibell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 30265
MTFCI Number: 24046

Post by John.Zibell » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Also that 10 amp charge is not good for the battery. I would recommend adjusting the third bust down to a nominal voltage ( I think some recommend 3 amps) or changing over to one of the Fun Projects voltage regulators. I've always use a voltage regulator so I'm no expert on cut outs.
1926 Tudor

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:24 am

Jim, it may also be a dirty commutator or brushes. After a few minutes running the dirt/oil may be cut through so that the brushes again make good contact. My barn find Henrietta took two days to begin to charge after 63 years of no running. She does not fail to start up now though, straight on with the job.

Allan from down under.

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:05 am

I think you will find that to be normal. When the car sets for a month or two without being driven the residual magnetism tends to diminish. If you run it for a minute or two it usually will show a charge. It has to charge for a few seconds to build up the magnetism after which it will run at the charge it was originally set.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic