Frame alignment... a suggestion.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Frame alignment... a suggestion.

Post by Been Here Before » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:05 am

Few folks are reconstructing a Model T.

How many are checking the Frame Alignment?

I was cleaning out years of collected stuff and the book "The Restoration of Antique and Classic Cars," 1957, Wheatley and Morgan dropped on the floor opening to page 30. Chapter on the frame and checking it before a rebuild.

For the benefit of the group I am including a copy of their suggestion for making certain the frame is square.

With the Model T Frame being a simple rectangle it should be straight forward to check for squareness.
Scanframealignment.jpg

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314
MTFCA Life Member: YES

Re: Frame alignment... a suggestion.

Post by MWalker » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:10 am

I have found that most Model T frames have a sag where the crankcase ears bear on them. That's easy to check (on a bare frame) using a string along the upper inside edge.

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:21 am

Mike speaking on the sag by the ears. What are your thoughts on boxing that section? I’ve got a early suicide door coupe that has a sag so bad the doors will not close. I’ve been mulling it over & first time I’ve asked. Best John

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:30 am

The usual place of sag is where the pan ears are attached. This is especially on the right side facing front. This sag will also cause the engine to drop on that side pushing the ball joints for wishbone and universal joint out of alignment. This will cause the steering to pull to one side while driving.
The same sag will cause problems with hood alignment and the fit of doors. So that is one important thing to address. Another would be frame straightness from front to back on both sides. This could be altered if the car has been hit on the side. The third alignment is diagonal. If you measure from one point at the rear of the frame to a point diagonal at the front. The measurement should be same from both sides. All these changes can be straightened by fastening down the frame and jacking up for a sag, or pushing diagonally in the opposite direction for diagonal misalignment. Final minor adjustments can be made by placing shims on body to frame. Start with the radiator to cowl and shim up whichever side might sag until you get the hood to fit. Then adjust the doors by raising or lowering to make the door shut (note) be sure hinges are not sagging before making door frame adjustments. Finally adjust until both sides open and close correctly.
Norm

JTT3
First Name: John
Last Name: Tannehill
MTFCA Number: 49460

Post by JTT3 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:34 am

Thanks Norman I’m going to lift the body and do just that but as I asked Mike would boxing that section make it less likely to sag again?

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:39 am

Attachments
Earlt Model T frame.jpg
Model-T-frame-dimensions.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:07 pm

Boxing the frame would certainly strengthen it, but it would destroy the flexibility designed into it. Boxing a portion of the frame might cause cracking issues at the ends of the boxed section. Best to carefully straighten it to spec, then check all rivits for tightness. With a closed car, it might be advantageous to adjust the frame to have a VERY slight upward bow in both rails. You need a dead level surface for measuring, straightening, and assembling and adjusting the car. I'd stay away from using heat.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:24 pm

I agree with Pat on stress risks with boxing a portion of the frame, but don't share his concern regarding heat.

a guy with the right knowledge, armed with a torch and wet cloth can do wonders shrinking stretched metal back to it's previously formed shape and length. It's done on sheet metal and frames all the time. If you think you're going to damage the frame's metallurgy, I encourage you to take a swipe on one with a new file and report back on how tough it is. They're not the same as a '26 axle, that's for sure, and spot heating isn't going to harm a thing.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:25 pm

ON the coupe, have you considered placing shims under the center body mounting bolts to compensate for the frame droop?

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm

Shims under the body at points of sag will help the doors This will work with slight sag, but if it sags very much the engine will drop on one side and throw the driveline and wheels out of alignment. Norm

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:00 pm

I will say this for the last time as it appears to fall on deaf ears.., but here I go!

The upper bolts of the rear engine oil pan bolts are a "peg". Meaning you tighten them, then loosen by about 1 1/2 turns or so. Tightening is not to be confused with an 1/8 turn more to snap off. The side bolts going into the wooden blocks need another metal surface to ride on other than the pan ears, ie, 3/8" fender washers times 2 per side normally work fine. I use Vaseline on all surfaces, sightly longer grade 5 bolts and nylon inserted lock nuts. Tighten side pan bolts and then loosen 2 full turns!

Remember folks, the frame MUST flex, this is a trinity, radius design, using the frame as parallel control beams! You MUST have good, properly installed shackles, leaf springs that MUST slide on each other, etc.

Straightening a bent frame without fixing the real problem is a bigger problem. Bandaid for a gun shot wound to the head! Remember.., these frames had the holes punched prior to forming, then slightly tempered. Once they bend, they are weak. Fix the core of the problem!

Enough of the SOAPBOX,

Hank

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:53 pm

Do you mean like this :o
440301.jpg
--
--
Did you mean like this :shock:
Attachments
two-wide_rti-lead.jpg
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Henry K. Lee
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Lee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Many
MTFCA Number: 479

Post by Henry K. Lee » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:57 pm

And the two parallel frame rails (Beams) are twisted by the forces of the double trinity. You get an "A"!

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:34 pm

There are band-aids and there are fixes. The fix involves straightening the rails and checking the frame for square. If it is square, diagonal measurements from each corner will be the same. Straight rails should be obvious obvious. Straightening them can be a challenge, involving sash cramps, timber spacers, a hydraulic jack and chains, and an extra pair of hands. The sag occurs over time, with no heat. I prefer not to use heat when correcting it.

Allan from down under.

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:03 am

this is how I measured my frame looks straight to me
Passenger side along rail
DSC_0176.JPG
passenger side at location of oil pan ear no sag
DSC_0177.JPG
driver side along rail
DSC_0178.JPG
driver side at location of oil pan ear no sag
DSC_0179.JPG
passenger side extreme rear to driver side extreme front 104 5/8 "
DSC_0182.JPG
extreme driver side rear to extreme passenger front 104 5/8"
did I miss any measurements?
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:45 am

To be complete I think you need to measure if the frame is square. That is is the distance between the rails at the cross members correct to the drawing above and then are the diagonal measurements from cross member to cross member,as described by others, the same.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Been Here Before
First Name: George John
Last Name: Drobnock
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe

Post by Been Here Before » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:39 am

A square frame:

Education and learning are based on mistakes and repetition.

Square frame: AH = BG.
Scanframealignment.jpg

Norman Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:10 pm

That picture in the above post is not a T frame. The side rails on a T are straight.
Norm

TRDxB2

Post by TRDxB2 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:46 pm

The non-model T frame is just used to show where to measure the diagonal lines. If the rails are of equal length then to square up everything (square, trapezoid, rectangle, etc you could measure the angles between the rails and cross members. However, a slight degree of difference can be multiplied at the other end of a long run. The easy way to square things up is to get the diagonal measures equal. So the example below shows an irregular trapezoid squared up and how the same applies to a rectangle (Model T)
Attachments
Angles.png
Mick Jagger

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:24 pm

Woodworkers use a simple tool to check frames when gluing up, a piece of wood with a nail driven through one end. Put the nail up into one corner, and mark the wood at the opposite corner. Switch to the corresponding points on the other side and check to see if the mark is in the same place. They can correct out -of-square by angling the sash cramps used to hold things together while the glue sets. The measuring technique works just as well on a T frame.

Allan from down under.

ironhorse
First Name: G.R.
Last Name: Cheshire
MTFCA Number: 29759

Post by ironhorse » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:20 am

Reading my post I forgot two pictures.
DSC_0181.JPG
DSC_0182.JPG
I did measure the frame diagonally.
Do it right or do it over,your choice. Drive like everyone is out to get you!

Bryce S.
First Name: Bryce
Last Name: S
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 52112
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Bryce S. » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:16 am

TRDxB2 wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:53 pm
Do you mean like this :o
440301.jpg
--
--
Did you mean like this :shock:
It is absolutely INCREDIBLE that these are able to flex the way that they do. Vehicles now couldn't dream of doing that. If they did there would be damage to them.

MWalker
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Walker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Roadster Pickup
MTFCA Number: 314

Post by MWalker » Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:56 am

JTT3 -- I tried calling you, but apparently your number has changed. I agree with the others that boxing a T frame would not be a good idea, for the reasons given above. And I agree that over-correcting the sag a bit in the upward direction is a good idea. Use heat and cooling to try to shrink the lower part of the frame rail in that area. Otherwise, when you add the weight of the engine and body, it will sag again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic