Body Parts Search

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Campbell Tellman
First Name: Campbell
Last Name: Tellman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Not yet
MTFCA Number: 51778

Body Parts Search

Post by Campbell Tellman » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:14 am

Hey All!
I have a 1916 touring and I have found some replacement parts. Some are difficult to find. I was wondering what suppliers would you recommend ? I suppose all the retailers use the same source. Is this the case?
Thanks,
Campbell Tellman

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Body Parts Search

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 am

Campbell

parts are made all over the place...some in large shops, and some in small garages...

in some cases, there is but one source and all the vendors sell the same thing and in other cases, you have to be vigilant and ask questions, as there may be multiple sources of quite different quality levels for a particular part. When one vendor asks big $ for an item and another asks modest $ for an item, be very specific in your questioning...retail sales are quite competitive and if a part is priced much above another's, there is usually a reason.

Sometimes the vendor themselves make the part and wholesale it through other vendors...it's quite a potpourri of sources.

Acquire catalogs from a number of sources and compare prices and availability and you'll start to see some commonality as well as distinct differences insofar as who carries what.

Finally, we have lost a number of manufacturers lately and I advise buying what you can afford, as soon as you can afford it...even with an eye toward future needs. The supply base is shrinking dramatically, and what product lines have been sold, the history of their continued production bodes poorly for the future.

As far as body parts, specifically, I read that they are showing up all the time as Lake Mead recedes ;)

BTW, I followed along on your search for a car...I'm pleased that you found something that you liked...Good luck on your parts hunting!
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:41 am

No there is not one source for the new parts suppliers. There are many different manufactures around the country and world that supply parts. Some are small that only make one or two items, some are huge. Different dealers may have contracts with different supplies who make the parts for that dealer and dealers are the wholesalers of those parts to other dealers. Some of the manufacturers sell direct to the consumer some don't. If they do, not all offer a discounted price.
If you are looking for original parts, place and ad in the classifieds. If you go back to the home page, you can open a list of new T parts suppliers or people that supplies services in the drop down.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:21 pm

Your post says body parts. Are you wanting parts for the body itself such as fenders, running boards and etc. or parts for the engine, frame, front and rear end or ?

Topic author
Campbell Tellman
First Name: Campbell
Last Name: Tellman
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Not yet
MTFCA Number: 51778

Post by Campbell Tellman » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:17 pm

Today I am seeking patch panels for the 1916 touring. I will need fenders and running boards as I progress. I expect this restoration to take a couple years. I am 75 years old and I hope to outlive the project. BTW I have been getting parts and advice from Davin SMith of Smith and Jones and so far I have been pleased with the quality and price.
Thanks,
Campbell Tellman

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:30 pm

S&J folks are very nice and am not surprised that you have been treated well by them

when you buy fenders, they are going to be drop-shipped from Rootlieb, the manufacturer. Pay close attention as to what is and is not going to come with the fender(s). In some instances you need to keep and reinstall the original mounting brackets from your old fenders (I do not know if this is the case with 1916 or not).

with respect to patch panels, be prepared to do a good deal of custom fitting. They will be close but my experience has been that they are not exact.

good luck with your project...it can be a lot of fun if you do not let little things become major sticking points...my attitude with these things, when it comes to sheet metal is "relax, the sun will rise in the morning...".
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

George Mills
First Name: George
Last Name: Mills
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Roadster, 1919 Hack, 1925 Fordor
MTFCA Number: 29497
MTFCI Number: 10032
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by George Mills » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 pm

I’ll say it….In my experience, Howells has the best tin and patch panels…you just have to prep Plan well in advance and there is no expedite!

http://www.fordor.com/category.cfm?cat= ... 0927modelt

When I need something right away…it takes 6 months to show up. When I order 6 months out to beat their system…it shows up by Friday! Oh so true! Like all tin, you may have to bump it, but I have also had good luck and have received fit like a glove stuff….

Welcome to the affliction.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:14 pm

Fordor.com. ( Howells sheet Metal ).

These folks sell patch panels for Most T’s. You can try to contact them but it may take a while. Go to their website and check their T sheet metal parts list. They also sell on ebay so you might check their.

I’ve bought from them and the panel arrived in 2-3 weeks. BUT. the later order took 3 months. They are probably the largest supplier for body panels. Rootlieb has most T fenders
but not many body panels.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic