New owner on LI of TT looking for mentors

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Bobbbenner
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Benner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT 1924, touring 22
MTFCA Number: 52622

New owner on LI of TT looking for mentors

Post by Bobbbenner » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:37 pm

I just bought a 1924 model TT. I am looking for someone to come and walk me through the possibilities of this truck. I figure that experience will save me time and trouble. Any one out there? I live in East Setauket.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Re: New owner on LI of TT looking for mentors

Post by HPetrino » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:37 pm

I'd e happy to help, but I'm 3,000 miles away. Post a few photos and we can talk on the forum if that would be useful. What are you considering?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 pm

There are a few T guys on Long Island, but I don't know if any of them has a TT. I hope at least one or two will see your post and get in touch. Meanwhile, here's something that applies whether you have a TT or a T: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Burger in Spokane
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Burger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 TT closed cab flatbed
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by Burger in Spokane » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:52 pm

Ditto with what Henry said.

Mine was built January of 26.

26 731 2016 aug 01.jpg
More people are doing it today than ever before !

L.I. Tom
First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Pilz
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 roadster, 1923 roadster pickup

Post by L.I. Tom » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:45 am

Hi Bob I'm in manorville I'm not a TT guy but I do know T's. I have a 21 roadster and a 23 roadster pickup that I've been through pretty well inside and out. There is lots of TT knowledge on the forum. What you got? Post some pictures if you can.

Topic author
Bobbbenner

Post by Bobbbenner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:30 am

I added a couple of pictures to my gallery

Tom Hicks
Last Name: Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 32518

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 am

You have come to the right forum, there are guys here who can answer any question you have.

That is a beautiful TT, lots of potential! There were so many bodies built expressly for different purposes, have you decided how you plan to finish it, or drive it like it is?

From the 4th main forward the T and TT are the same. Find someone in a club near you and they can get her running just right, and check the front axle, no problem.

From the 4th main back the TT is longer and heavier duty than the T. Scroll type rear axle. Lower gearing. But if yougo to google and put in MTFCA followed by your question you will probably find someone else asked it and had it answered!

Welcome to this site, you will find many friendly and knowledgeable people here.
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Tom Hicks
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '24 TT, '26 TT, '24 Speedster, '26 Speedster

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:59 am

In the picture you TT has a Ruckstell which is a two speed rear. Most consider this a good thing. Are you familiar with them?
Technology, the solution to all of our problems... and the cause of most of them.

Topic author
Bobbbenner

Post by Bobbbenner » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 am

Just that it adds a two speed option.

HPetrino
First Name: Henry
Last Name: Petrino
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1918 TT

Post by HPetrino » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:08 am

You're correct, the Ruckstell adds a second speed option. On a TT that means you have slow and slower. Of course we don't yet know if you have high or low ratio rear end gears, but TT's aren't known for excess speed.

In your original post you mentioned exploring the "possibilities" of your truck. There are virtually limitless possibilities. I think the place to start is to discuss what you would like to do with it. If you plan to use it on the road then we should probably talk about an auxiliary transmission with overdrive, auxiliary brakes, turn signals, brake lights, and other such features. If you're planning to use it on your own property as a utility/work vehicle the list will look much different.

It looks like a great start.

Tom Hicks

Post by Tom Hicks » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 am

Bobbbenner wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:45 am
Just that it adds a two speed option.
Ruckstell is underdrive and 1:1, so it does not add any speed.

You probably need it if you have the 5:1 rear, especially if carrying a load or if driving in a hilly area.

I have a T with 7:1 rear and maximum speed of 15 mph. I am presently swapping the rear for one with a 5:1 ratio, it should run 25 -30. It will also have a Ruckstell.

As a previous poster said, you have many options with a TT, you just need to decide which way you want to go. If you plan to drive a lot on the road or keep up with tours, I recommend the 5:1 rear.

And, in my opinion, if you have a Ruckstell, you need axillary braking. Many will disagree, and I have been wrong before.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic