Our Yellowstone/Jackson trip

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Our Yellowstone/Jackson trip

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:43 pm

Our car club was invited to an air show in West Yellowstone last Saturday. A dozen cars made the trip hoping for good weather. The assemblage was from my 1925 T to a 1980s Mercedes. Back roads through the farms and up Warm River to Mesa Falls made for beautiful driving.
WYJx910.jpg
Clouds and some rain kept the radiators cool. Joy, our daughter Sally and I left an hour early to meet the others for lunch at Phillip's Lodge. Then to the Wild Rose Guest Ranch for visiting, dinner and the night. Our room served as the Hospitality Room with no end to goodies and great conversation into the night.
WYJx002.jpg
The air show turned out to be overcast so no planes could fly in. Several had arrived the day before, so it was a success to some degree. "Miss Montana", a C-47 was there and quite an attraction to those who attended. It had been built for WWII but not finished in time to serve. Instead, it dropped smoke jumpers for many years and now has been restored.
WYJx003.jpg
We were surprised by a 1935 "Supercharged" Auburn joining the show from Ennis, MT. The owner was very jovial and helped several youngsters in and out of the rumble seat. "This car is for driving and enjoying" he told us proudly.
WYJx945.jpg
When did I do that?

Topic author
Rich Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor

Re: Our Yellowstone/Jackson trip

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:04 pm

Late notice for the show and prices and availability in Yellowstone Park left the others going back to Idaho and Utah Sunday. However, Joy found a cancelled cabin at the Lake Hotel, so we spent a beautiful day in the Park. It was pleasant T-shirt weather. I forget how fantastic the park is until I am in it. The Tudor ran well, and we met such great folks everywhere. Short, 5-minute encounters with people at the height of their trip is as good as it gets. Even some forum members and other T owners were fun to chat with.
WYJx080.jpg
We happened to get a picture of one of the retro-fitted YPC buses too. (1936-1938 White) Lake Hotel is the same layout as the Fountain Hotel (1891-1916). My Father spent his first Winter there while my Grandparents were winter keepers there. It was along the Fountain Flats between Madison Junction and Old Faithful. Old Faithful Inn (1904) and then automobile traffic made it obsolete.
Monday we drove to Jackson Hole, WY and spent that evening and night. The Tetons and Jackson are wonderful in their own right.
WYJx004.jpg
It was such a great way to end the Summer and welcome Fall. Those trips really recharge my battery.
When did I do that?

TWrenn
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Wrenn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13 Touring, '26 "Overlap" Fordor
MTFCA Number: 30701
MTFCI Number: 24033
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by TWrenn » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:43 pm

Very nice Rich. Happy for you and your good time, maybe even a bit envious! Beautiful there.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:32 pm

Thanks Tim, wish you could have been there.
The pros and cons of these adventures are always debatable. Taking charge of reserving the lodging and meals for twenty some people with different expectations is something Joy is much better at than I. Some weren't ready to drive their old car and brought something newer or their motorhome. The weather can be from HOT to snowstorms or blizzards. Traffic these days can be as bad during peak summer months. Costs are increasing by the month. We bit the bullet and did this, and I believe everyone enjoyed it despite any problems. It is magical when a group gets together this way.
Traveling in a Model T is pretty intimidating. We have all heard the pitfalls and things that can go wrong with even the best preparation. I understand why many don't get out on the road as much as they would like. Our only needs were to adjust the brake band after some hills and the coil box lid letting one coil to rise above its contact once. Fortunately, I thought to push the lid down and the rhythm returned to normal. It could have taken some time to diagnose the problem otherwise.
There was significant traffic in the park. We spent a lot of time on the edge of the road to let traffic pass or stopping at pullovers. Luckly, we had no dangerous incidents. Drivers were kind and courteous. I estimated we drove in low gear 8% of the trip as we crossed the continental divide in a dozen places. The Tudor is heavy with a completely stock engine with average or less power. I worry when the engine it at top RMPs even though I estimate 30 or 40 thousand Model T miles in the last 56 years. Only one broken crankshaft, two blown head gaskets, two rides on a wrecker and a few coil and spark plug changes etc. Well maybe some repairs I have forgotten.
Luggage is a problem with 3 people and the body is wider than open cars, so an accordion rack only gives 8" or so between it and the door. 10" at the apron.
Roadside stops bring not only new friends but offers of help if we were in trouble. People who would be totally impersonable are so friendly to we in our old car. I feel like a celebrity, and they have such nice stories and compliments. The freedom of not worrying about others touring with us makes it much easier. Cell phones make tow trucks possible if needed except in the mountains where service is sketchy.
So, we don't go as often as we like but when we do it all seems worthwhile.
Enough of my rambling until I think of more.
I hope you can enjoy your Ts as much.
Rich
When did I do that?

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:35 pm

Thanks Rich. Loved the info. Yeh, tour design can be overwhelming. Even a short one is. We try to accommodate everyone but it's hard to do. Sounds & looks like you did it well.
And yep, I, and we, will continue to "wear the tires out"! I've got close to 2500 miles between all 3 Ts this year so far. A bit off from last year for some reason. Take care and drive on!

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:04 pm

Traveling in a Model T is pretty intimidating. We have all heard the pitfalls and things that can go wrong with even the best preparation.

There are two requirements:
1 Having the time off to do it;
2 Being foolish enough not to be intimidated.
:D
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:13 pm

I thought about you before and while on this trip Steve. We have both had problems of late with our Ts. Our knowledge and experience don't make us immune from them. Yet we venture out to enjoy driving to wonderful places where others who love them are. We are both old enough to know better. You always inspire me.
Life is too short to miss out on the fun. Isn't it nice to be back safe and sound and bask in the memories?
Rich
When did I do that?

Ed Fuller
First Name: Ed
Last Name: Fuller
MTFCA Number: 29582
MTFCI Number: 22818
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Ed Fuller » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:03 pm

Rich,

Looks like a very memorable trip. Thank you for taking the time to post the pictures!

SurveyKing
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Snell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 Touring, 1924 Touring, 1925 Roadster Pickup, 1921 Touring
MTFCA Number: 31662
MTFCI Number: 23677
Board Member Since: 2014

Post by SurveyKing » Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:05 pm

I was totally blown away when I saw Rich and his Model T in Yellowstone two days ago. We pulled over and I had a nice chat with him. His Tudor ran well, so well in fact that I kept passing him when we pulled over for a quick stop along the way. Thanks Rick, it was great meeting you and your wife. All the best and hope to see you again my friend. Here is a picture of the man himself!
Rich Eagle in Wyoming (2).jpg
Dan Snell[/size][/b]

DHort
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Hjortnaes
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 24 Speedster, 20 touring
MTFCA Number: 28762
MTFCI Number: 22402

Post by DHort » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:22 pm

Thank you for the great write up Rich. It is so nice when someone takes the time and effort to tell us about their travels. It inspires me to do it some more.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:24 pm

I'd think you reached some high elevations on that trip. The highest my car has been since I got it has been just under 1600' near Cisco, Texas. Closer to home, it ranges from about 1000' to 1230'. The landscape is a good deal less spectacular, but traffic is light to non-existent for long stretches. I encountered just 3 vehicles outside of the two small towns on my 118 mile run, and I actually passed two of the vehicles, one a late model GMC cowboy Cadillac poking along about 30 MPH and the other a big Cat loader out for an early Sunday drive. I passed a total of 5 traffic lights, and made all but one of them.

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:30 pm

Thanks for that picture, Daniel. It was a treat to visit with you. I trust you caught your plane alright.
Pat, the entrance and exit we used are 6667ft. and 6886ft. respectively. Three of the passes where we crossed the divide were 8262, 8391 and 7988ft.
I could turn the carburetor needle an eighth of a turn more at the higher elevations than the 4708ft. at home. If I could have remembered to tighten the lock nut when I wasn't driving, I could have gotten better milage and possibly better performance.
Having more power would be nice but I believe the T will last longer at the slower speeds. The lighter ones do climb better.
Telling the tale of these trips is always fun to write as well as to read of other's adventures. We enjoy them in different ways and it's enjoyable to compare notes. Hopefully the word will get out how delightful Model T touring is to those who haven't heard.
Thanks for the great comments.
When did I do that?

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:44 pm

Pat's comment about the lack of traffic points out one of the great things about living in so-called flyover country. I love living where I can go for a fifty mile Model T drive and see three other vehicles, two of them being the same truck twice. :)

It's been over half a century since my first Tetons/Yellowstone/Big Sky visit. I want to do it as a Model T trip some year soon.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:06 pm

We are fortunate to live close to Yellowstone and have toured in old cars there for 50 years. We put on several tours there when traffic and lodging rates were a fraction of what they are now. A caravan of Ts or even 30s cars would be horrendous now but individually it can be done. Camping spots and parking places are hard to find, and reservations should be planned a year ahead.
Visitors numbered 1,929,300 in 1964, 2,823,572 in 1990, compared with 3,806,306 in 2020. The roads have been improved some but are not what that traffic demands.
The Speedster is the most fun, but we have driven through buffalo herds a time or two. Bicycles are iffy too.
Yellow1.jpg
The Touring climbs the hills better than the Tudor and visibility is better.
Yellow2.jpg
The Bus is great and can carry eight or more with no trouble. (11 back in the day) Group traveling generates a wonderful energy. After 11,000 miles it takes a rest now.
Yellow3.jpg
It might be fun to set a date and those who could might stay at a central location for a day or two.
Rich
When did I do that?

Tadpole
First Name: Tad
Last Name: Glahn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Coupe, 1926 TT Closed Cab, 1924 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 51667
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by Tadpole » Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:32 pm

Wonderful photos! Your adventures are the stuff of hopes and dreams. Always enjoy reading about them, can't wait to read many more!

KeithG
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Gumbinger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '14 Touring, '26 RPU, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
MTFCA Number: 4661
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 6866
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by KeithG » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Hi Rich, Thank you for writing and posting pictures of your trip. It's fun to share a laid back tour like this one.
Thanks again,
Keith
'14 Touring, '26 Roadster Pickup, '27 Fordor, '27 Touring
Motto: It's hard to build a garage that's tooooo big! :D

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:16 am

Joy likes to silk screen T-shirts and ditty bags for the tour participants. She designed this logo for the event. I'm wearing one in Dan's picture.
FlyIn.jpg
There are a lot of old photos displayed in the park and the West Yellowstone Museum. This is one of my grandfather's garage that I had not seen before. It was leased out at that time. The construction matches the Curio Store he ran at the time. When it was torn down, I found a Model T brake handle used as rebar in the concrete. I use it in my Yellow Speedster.
WYJxpic79a.jpg
This is one of the Yellowstone Buses. It could even be the one I own now. I can't read the bus number.
WYJxpic76.jpg
The buses had a Fulton exhaust whistle and enough pressure to knock your socks off when blown. They blasted it on blind corners to let traffic know they were coming.
WYJxpic74.jpg
When did I do that?

JohnM
First Name: John
Last Name: Michaelree
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring 1927 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 50389
Board Member Since: 2010

Post by JohnM » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:18 pm

How wonderful to have deep family history with an iconic national park. How many people salvage model T parts imbeded in concrete? Rich, you are a bright star ambassador to this hobby that I can only aspire to. Always enjoy your art, pictures and comments.

kevinf
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Fielding

Post by kevinf » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:13 pm

Wow, Great photos Rich, thanks for posting them.
One of our favorite spots in town,
Thanks again,
Kevin

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Post by perry kete » Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:27 pm

That sure looks like a beautiful place and I really enjoy when you post your trips so I can ride along.
When I get out on parole I hope to take trips like that too.
Thanks for sharing.
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

TWrenn

Post by TWrenn » Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:28 am

perry kete wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:27 pm
That sure looks like a beautiful place and I really enjoy when you post your trips so I can ride along.
When I get out on parole I hope to take trips like that too.
Thanks for sharing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Topic author
Rich Eagle

Post by Rich Eagle » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:08 pm

Perry, bring your PO along. The bears are getting hungry.
:lol: :lol:
Rich
When did I do that?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic