Check Your New Sediment Bowls Before Installation

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Check Your New Sediment Bowls Before Installation

Post by CudaMan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:32 pm

I bought a new brass Model T sediment bowl from one of the vendors to install on my 1912 Flanders 20 (it has a generic round steel replacement gas tank). Lately the car has been sputtering and dying on uphill climbs, so today I went through the carb and fuel system to check for blockages.

When I removed the outlet from the sediment bowl, I found that the brass screen had fallen out and was sitting down in the bottom of the bowl. Isn't that screen supposed to be soldered to the fitting? Anyway, I fished the screen out and soldered it to the fitting so that it will stay where it belongs.

If you purchase one of the new sediment bowls, take it apart and check for the presence and correct attachment of the screen! :)
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Re: Check Your New Sediment Bowls Before Installation

Post by Steve Jelf » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:52 pm

IMG_1601 copy 2.JPG
Yes, the screen is supposed to be fastened in place.

IMG_1561 copy 2.JPG
I like to add the accessory Model A screen on top. It's a much finer mesh.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:24 pm

I bought a new brass sediment bowl from Snyder’s a few months ago and all was good with the one I bought. I just tired of occasionally repairing the one I had.

Topic author
CudaMan
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Strange
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Cut Off Touring (now a pickup)
MTFCA Number: 30944
MTFCI Number: 23667
Board Member Since: 2013

Post by CudaMan » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:28 pm

Thanks Steve, I think I'll get one of those Model A screens and install it the next time I have the sediment bowl out.

I saw a drawing of the OEM sediment bowl elsewhere on the forum that showed an internal extension (red arrow) that guides the fuel down towards the bottom of the bowl. Has anyone seen an OEM sediment bowl with such an extension? My reproduction bowl doesn't have it. :(
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
Mark Strange
Hillsboro, MO
1924 Cut-off Touring (now a pickup)

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:45 pm

I can say everyone I have had apart did not have the extension. Maybe its an early bulb feature. I have only worked with original iron units.

fordt
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Trippet
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Ames bodied Cloverleaf, 27 Roadster PU (in progress)
MTFCA Number: 19169

Post by fordt » Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:44 pm

How the heck did you guys get that outlet unscrewed, looking at the “square” nut, it mustn have been easy…I’ve been staring at one for years trying to figure it out!

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Post by speedytinc » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:02 pm

Use an open end wrench that fits well.(no channel locks) Secure in a vise. Try to unloosen. Stop if the brass starts to nacker or twist. Apply the blue wrench enough to burn off the varnish holding it together, Not necessarily hot enough to melt the lead gasket on this try. Let cool, try the open end wrench again. If still no joy, heat again until the lead gasket starts to let out small beads. Let cool & apply some Kroil.

I have had success using these methods & not needed to go to dynamite.

To remove the lever, remove the cotter pin, spring & washers & use a tubular punch that clears the post(drill out a piece of steel rod) & contacts the base of the lever post.
Do not strike the post.

The valve taper can be lapped with tooth paste to improve/eliminate it's leaking.

John kuehn
First Name: John
Last Name: Kuehn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 19 Roadster, 21 Touring, 24 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 28924

Post by John kuehn » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:52 pm

You can put the square end in a vise with a rag around it then use a wood mallet or rubber hammer and tap on the body. That usually does it.

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:02 am

For whatever it is worth.

A few years ago, at a swap meet I bought what I suspected was an original brass sediment bulb for my 1915. It was in pretty nice condition overall, not complete, and had some minor damage where the front piece threads in. I managed to straighten the damage, but the front piece that came with it would NOT thread in all the way, in spite of everything looking so good after I straightened it.
So I decided to try a couple other front pieces. I grabbed the box of mostly junk sediment bulbs and pieces I had left over from previous restorations. I needed it anyway because the shutoff lever (and tapered piece!) was missing. One of the loose front pieces threaded in just fine, but it looked so bad I didn't want to consider using it! The other two loose pieces did not want to thread in, and one of them was also pretty ugly.
So I decided to take apart a couple other ones, ones I had given up on years earlier.
All those tips and tricks to take them apart mentioned above? I did them all and then some! I soaked those sediment bulbs in mild acids to remove rust and corrosion for a couple weeks! Mild heat (about 400 degrees F!) and cool cycles. Clamped the front piece square into my big blacksmith vise, and double hammer tapped the "potato" to try to knock it loose. After a couple hours, one of them came loose. A day later, and another couple hours, and more heat, another one did. Oh, and that time? the lead gasket flowed away from the heat!
Finally (well, not quite yet?), I had two front pieces that would thread all the way into the brass "potato". And one of them looked alright.
You know? I never did figure out WHY two of them would fit in, and four others would NOT! All of them would fit fine in a couple decent iron "potatoes". I suspect some minor imperceptible distortion in the brass "potato"? I did have to straighten it slightly and very carefully?

The "not yet" finally? One iron sediment bulb never did give up its front piece. After too much time spent trying to get the pieces apart without ruining them? It I also got really hot, tried a whole bunch of tricks I knew of. But the front piece still looked really nice. No known flaws in the "potato". So, as much as I hated to do it? I hack sawed the iron "potato" and split it off the brass front piece. I do not like to destroy a good piece, but I do have a couple yet for future restorations. And that front piece ended up being the one I used.

As for that longer lower cast tube inside the "potato"? The brass one I bought doesn't have that. Most of the iron ones I have had over the years did not have that (according to my recollection?). However, I do recall at least one years ago that had that. I thought it was odd at the time. The five or so iron ones I had in my junk box and spent so much time getting apart? ONE of them has the long tube as part of the original casting. So they are out there.
What that means? Or when which were used? I have no idea.

Original Smith
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Smith
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 13 Touring, 13 Roadster, 17 Coupelet, 25 Roadster P/U
MTFCA Number: 121
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 16310

Post by Original Smith » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:08 am

I've had good luck buying used sediment bulbs. Usually out of 5 I can come up with one good one. I soak the bulb in carburetor cleaner and dry it out, then, I heat the cover to melt the old lead washer, and remove it. After that I dry out the cover and stick anything I can in the outlet to loosen the crud inside. I shake as much out as I can, and then put it back in the carburetor cleaner. I have to do this several times. I blow out the outlet with compressed air several times to get everything out.

tdump
First Name: Mack
Last Name: Cole
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT. T express pickup,speedster project.
MTFCA Number: 28146

Post by tdump » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:25 pm

Odd that the method I learned here years ago has not been mentioned.
When I fixed my tater, "potato" for you folks, I was instructed to place it in the freezer and the 2 different metals shrink at different rates and this helps in breaking them loose. I cleaned mine and soaked it in Kroil and put it in a plastic baggy and then put it in the freezer for a couple days. It took twice to make it work and get the fitting out intact without damage.
If you can't help em, don't hinder em'

Duey_C
First Name: Duane
Last Name: Cooley
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 Runabout, 24 Runabout for 20yrs, 25 TT, late Center Door project, open express pickup
MTFCA Number: 32488
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Duey_C » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:22 am

On that subject, I asked one of our fine vendors about a new sediment bowl. Are the shut-off valves tested? No.
I was having issues with an original shut-off that was not cooperative, thinking about a new one and found the answer interesting.
Since I lost my mind mind, I feel more liberated

Altair
First Name: David
Last Name: Menzies
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring and 1915 Touring both Canadian models
MTFCA Number: 27825
Board Member Since: 2012

Post by Altair » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:59 pm

The reproduction bowel I bought was tested with water, however with gasoline would leak and I had to fit a shutoff valve between it and the tank.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic