My 22 drives like a new car after rebuilding the steering

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Reno Speedster
First Name: Morgan
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

My 22 drives like a new car after rebuilding the steering

Post by Reno Speedster » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:15 pm

Just took the 22 for a drive after rebuilding pretty much everything in the steering. I put in new bushing in the lower bracket, installed a 5-1 steering conversion that I got from a nice fellow on the site, installed a new pitman arm and ball, added Apco caps, and installed a dashboard-column steering bracket. Not a huge job, but it took some time to get the parts in hand. It is much more solid and more importantly, the death wobble is gone! It feels like a new car. I didn’t realize how bad the steering was.

The next big job is to rebuild the Kelsey wood wheels over the winter. While I am getting things ready to do that, I am going to finish up installing brake lights. I also need to sort out a way to do seatbelts (a wife requirement if my 8 year old is going to be allowed to ride in it, please don’t tell me not to do this. It’s non negotiable). It’s fall here in Alaska and winter is well on the way. The plan is for the 22 to be good to go by spring. If things go really well, the 26 speedster should also be a rolling chassis by spring.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Re: My 22 drives like a new car after rebuilding the steering

Post by TXGOAT2 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:20 pm

Tight steering makes a world of difference in ride comfort and handling ease. It also helps preserve the structure of the car. Worn, sloppy fitting steering and chassis parts allow even minor road bumps to slam and pound the car, causing rattles and rapid wear.

Bruce Compton
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: Compton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1921 Coupe, 1925 Coupe

Post by Bruce Compton » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:17 am

Glad you went with the 5:1 Morgan. A 17" steering wheel will help as well if you are still using the original 16" wheel.

Topic author
Reno Speedster
First Name: Morgan
Last Name: Blanchard
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Speedster Project, 1922 Runabout Pickup

Post by Reno Speedster » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:33 am

Thanks, I already have a 17” wheel on it. At some point I would like a fat man, but that can wait.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic