Questions about rocky mountain brakes

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Vonau
First Name: Beat
Last Name: Betschart
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring

Questions about rocky mountain brakes

Post by Vonau » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:17 pm

Hello T friends

Yesterday I received a set of used Rocky Mountains Bremen for my 1926 Touring. Unfortunately, not everything is complete.

Can someone tell me how long the two operating rods have to be? Can I take the fork heads off the original brake?

Also missing are the two springs that go over the mounting flange and pull the lining away from the drum. What are the dimensions and wire thickness of the spring?

The covering, which is still unused, also unsettles me. What kind of material is this? Does it make sense to use the brakes like this?
I see the new topping at Lang's. This looks completely different than my Rocky's.

thank you for your help

greetings from Switzerland
Attachments
IMG_20220929_183309_3.jpg
IMG_20220929_183324_5.jpg
RM-1.JPG

speedytinc
First Name: john
Last Name: karvaly
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 14/15 wide track roadster. 23 touring, 27 roadster pickup, 20ish rajo touring
MTFCA Number: 14383
Board Member Since: 2020

Re: Questions about rocky mountain brakes

Post by speedytinc » Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:57 pm

You should be able to contact Bud Williams (the manufacturer)in Temecula, Ca for parts. I think they still advertise in the Vintage Ford.

The clevis's Are 3/8, I believe. Normal/common hardware store clevis's. Check the holes in the arms & equalizer for the pin size. The original parking brake clevis's are 5/16.
No reason to mess with them any way until you start the adjustment puzzle. (your'e in for a treat)

When you have the shoes & equalizer installed, the length of the rods will be obvious.

The linings are of the woven type, Much better than the solid grey stuff that comes on them new today IMO.

I'm sure there are others with better access to a set to give you the spring dimensions. Good luck.

Mark Gregush
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:22 pm

You want to make up your own rods not use your current parking brake rods, you are still going to need the parking brakes. You will also need to weld a tab on your transmission brake pedal to connect to the equalizer or buy one of the pedals with that tab already made as part of it.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:37 pm

All good advice above. Be sure to leave the original brake band in the transmission and also the rear parking brakes. The Rocky Mountain brakes work very well going forward, however they aren't very good in reverse, so if you are going uphill and need to stop or the engine suddenly stops going uphill you will need the original brake band and the parking brake. The way I adjust them is to leave the original brake about 1 1/2 inch above the floorboard and then adjust the Rocky Mountain a bit tighter so that the Rocky Mountain brake is applied first, but if you press hard on the brake, both brake systems will work. Then adjust the parking brake so it comes on first and the next notch of the ratchet will also apply the Rock Mountain brake. That way you have 3 sets of brakes and also in emergency the other two pedals. But remember that all these systems will still only stop the rear wheels, so drive like you would ordinarily drive a Model T.
Any way I live about 75 miles from Bud, and have visited him several times to buy parts for the brakes. He will be glad to help you.
Norm

Mark Gregush
Last Name: Gregush
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 cutdown PU, 1920 Dodge touring, 1948 F2 Ford flat head 6 pickup 3 speed
MTFCA Number: 52564
Board Member Since: 1999

Post by Mark Gregush » Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:26 pm

I have found that it depends a lot on how they are setup and what lining is installed. Frends car I drove, zip nada in reverse esp if an incline was involved, the other mine, worked ok. Mine was older set and as I recall might have had that same lining.
I know the voices aren't real but damn they have some good ideas! :shock:

1925 Cut down pickup
1920 Dodge touring
1948 Ford F2 pickup

Topic author
Vonau

Post by Vonau » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:29 pm

Thanks for all the cartwheels.

Yes, I will of course leave the original Bremen as they are.
I would like to make the confirmation stamps between Equalizer and Rocky's myself and maybe I could find the right springs at the hardware store.
If I were to order original parts, shipping to Switzerland would be many times more expensive than the parts are worth.

Can someone please give me an email from Bud Williams. perhaps he would give me the necessary information.

Mark Nunn
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:19 am

I do not see an email. This is his contact information.

39810 Bella Vista Road
Temecula, CA 92592
Phone 951-676-1746
Fax 951-694-9932
Orders 888-786-7728

AndreFordT
First Name: Andre
Last Name: Valkenaers
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 ; 1922 ; 1915.
MTFCA Number: 23792
MTFCI Number: 19330

Post by AndreFordT » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:24 am

I just send you a private message.

Andre
Belgium

greenacres36
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Williams
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Tudor, 1915 Runabout

Post by greenacres36 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:00 am

I would like to add what I did wrong. I had the rods too long and they caused the equalizer to bottom out of against the oil pan. It took me a second to figure out why I could not get them to work. So that is definitely something to make sure of when, adjusting the rod length in my opinion.

Topic author
Vonau

Post by Vonau » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:37 pm

Thanks for all the messages.

Unfortunately, the phone number and the address don't do much for me. I don't speak English and can only communicate in writing along with online translator. Hence the partly bad spelling in my posts.
Unbelievable. Communicating with you in English like this would have been impossible for me some time ago.

So the only way for me is email.

What I see in the pictures, the model A clevises could be sold as a set. Would these be strong enough to drill out the holes to 3/8" to fit the Rocky's?

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:04 pm

Beat,

I just called Bud and have his email address. I will message that to you, so check your PM's shortly.

Should anyone else want to call Bud it turns out he's on a different number to the one Mark posted. Happy to pass that on via PM if you want it (not sure if he wants it posted here in public).

Luke.

Mark Nunn
Last Name: Nunn
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Runabout
MTFCA Number: 50321
Board Member Since: 2017

Post by Mark Nunn » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:42 am

I copied the address and phone from the suppliers section of this website. It apparently not up to date.

Luke
First Name: Luke
Last Name: P
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926

Post by Luke » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:22 pm

Mark,

Whoever was at the number you supplied knew what I wanted and gave me another number to call Bud. Not sure what the relationship between the two is - perhaps it's just a home vs workshop thing and he was simply at the other place - but in any event it was the start that we needed, thanks.

Beat, did you get the PM with the email address ok?

Luke.

Topic author
Vonau

Post by Vonau » Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:45 pm

Thank you all for the information

Lukas, thanks for Bud's email address. I'm always surprised at the great willingness to help here in the forum. This is a big help for me as a newbie in this Hibby, especially here in Switzerland.

I will take some time to write down all my brake questions and then contact Bud.

Many greetings from Switzerland

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic