Other events surrounding the period of our early Fords

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Other events surrounding the period of our early Fords

Post by Rob » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:10 am

I'm often intrigued by the events found while researching events surrounding our cars. Events like Civil War veteran events, the Titanic disaster, Presidential elections and wars make headlines I've noticed while capturing events involving our cars.

This one caught my attention while reading an article about Frank Kulick and Ford Motor Co. sending two Ford Special racers to the Mardi Gras races in early 1911. Frank Kulick drove the two Fords to several wins and second places during the three day event in New Orleans, starting one of Ford's best racing years ever. Our racer was one of the two sent to Louisiana:

AD4B197F-D27D-46B1-8360-AF22673FCDAF.jpeg

Also on the "Detroit News" Sporting Page that day was a short story about world heavyweight champion Jack Johnson. Some may remember the old movie staring James Earl Jones, "The Great White Hope," about champion boxer. Johnson also made headlines racing Barney Oldfield (of Ford 999 fame) in an unsanctioned race, that would cause Oldfield to be banned from Motor Racing during this period (causing the Blitzen Benz being put in charge of Bob Burman, eventually setting up the match race between Kulick driving a Ford Special against the fastest car in the world, the Blitzen Benz, a story for another thread).

85996BD3-7D09-4018-A3EB-BBBBD91E244D.jpeg
On the same page, this article regarding Johnson, and his group while traveling on a train:
1D224B38-2D0D-4301-A95B-0E67BA25ED1F.jpeg

That led me to this earlier article (saved some time ago while researching Oldfield's suspension). This definitely was a different time, with different norms and rules. I guess "the good old days" definitely is a subjective term.
1F5CCFA0-404A-42F0-B2F2-DC09581B7B9A.jpeg

We all enjoy our cars for different reasons. I have friends who love to work on them, and could care less about driving or showing them off. Others who take in car shows, but don't drive. Others who strictly tour. I guess one of my many attractions is the history that surrounded our Fords.

Below: Jack Johnson at the wheel of his Locomobile at the time of his race with Oldfield. He doesn't appear "pale" as the last article described him regarding his competition with Oldfield:

51AFDFDA-8554-4D7E-8C8F-23F9B8DC9D7B.jpeg

perry kete
First Name: Dennis
Last Name: Seth
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1922 Coupe 1927 Touring

Re: Other events surrounding the period of our early Fords

Post by perry kete » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:42 am

Rob,

Perhaps the expression "Appears pale" is the other meaning of pale which would imply that Jack Johnson was "less impressive or important" instead of his skin tone.

They say that Kulicks cars were shipped to the race, would that be by rail or did someone haul them down by trailer or boat?
1922 Coupe & 1927 Touring

Topic author
Rob
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Heyen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Models B, F, K, N, Ford racer and 3 Model T

Post by Rob » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:09 pm

Perry.
My guess is by rail. There are reports of FMC hiring a car (train) to move the six cylinder racer to Ormond Beach and the New Jersey beaches in 1905. I had not thought of by boat, although I’ve sometime wondered if shipping cars to the west coast was always done by boat or train. Again, my guess is train, but when the Panama Canal opened I wonder if cargo/shipping became a competitive way to move automobiles?

I don’t know if there was anything behind the “pale” reference, I just thought it quite a stark contrast to what the press is inclined to write, and not write, today.

Regardless, I’m often anmazed and impressed by the events that shaped the world during the early part of the last century.
Thank you for posting,
Rob

Steve Jelf
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Jelf
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 touring and a few projects
MTFCA Number: 16175
MTFCI Number: 14758
Board Member Since: 2007

Post by Steve Jelf » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:03 pm

I expect Henry and many of his workers were among the early listeners to WWJ, Michigan's first and for a time only radio station, the Detroit Free Press station, which went on the air in 1920. When NBC began in 1926, WWJ became one of its Red Network affiliates.
The inevitable often happens.
1915 Runabout
1923 Touring

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:18 pm

I'd venture to say that Jack Johnson was twice the man that the newspaper writer was.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic