correct capacitor for coils

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Don ellis
First Name: Don
Last Name: Ellis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,1917,23,27
MTFCA Number: 17946
MTFCI Number: 15366

correct capacitor for coils

Post by Don ellis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:27 am

The Tarheel T's model T club just purchased a ECCT from Mike Kossor, We are looking for the correct capacitor because of the forty or so coils I have all of them are in need.I know we can order from suppliers but we need bulk. This is a great tool and will be a huge asset to the club. Thanks

Charlie B in N.J.
First Name: CHARLIE
Last Name: BRANCA
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: "27 Tudor / "23 Touring
MTFCA Number: 28967
Board Member Since: 2010

Re: correct capacitor for coils

Post by Charlie B in N.J. » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:00 am

Ask Mike.
Forget everything you thought you knew.

Topic author
Don ellis
First Name: Don
Last Name: Ellis
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,1917,23,27
MTFCA Number: 17946
MTFCI Number: 15366

Post by Don ellis » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:09 am

Ah, just found an old post from Ron Patterson. Answers the question

Adam
First Name: Adam
Last Name: Doleshal
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘13 Touring, ‘24 Touring, ‘25 TT dump truck, ‘26 Tudor, ‘20 Theiman harvester T powerplant, ‘20 T Staude tractor
MTFCA Number: 23809
MTFCI Number: 1
Board Member Since: 2000

Post by Adam » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:21 am

I use the specific orange drop capacitor that has been recommended by the Original Coilman, Ron (coilman) Patterson I believe that Fun Projects & Langs started having their own capacitors custom manufactured by another source several years ago and they are good too. I buy my capacitors wholesale in bulk and the usual wholesale point is over 1,000 pieces. At swap meets, etc, I sell 4 for $8, and bags of 100 for $175. Let me know if you want some. If you want a bag of 100, I might be able to set you up with a deal on 100 points too. Send me an email. Thanks.

MKossor
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Kossor
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1927 Touring
MTFCI Number: 22706

Post by MKossor » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Don, The ECCT capacitor capacitor test is very sensitive so a couple comments on interpreting the test results:

The most important parameter of the capacitor test is the capacitor Value, typically 0.47uF but this can vary by +/-20% Capacitor value measuring less than 0.33 uf should be replaced to avoid excessive point contact arcing and ware. Coil points with insufficient capacitor value may result in a bright blue arc across the coil point contacts each time a spark is fired. The spark fired across the 1/4" spark gap may also appear weak or non-existent in extreme cases.

Capacitor test results displaying High capacitor value (0.56uF - 0.68uF) may not require the capacitor to be replaced even though the result may display Poor. That is because the capacitor test can be skewed by false leakage paths such fingers touching both point elements or primary winding to coil core leakage when the capacitor test is run. I have also experienced coils where the tops were painted with a carbon based black paint which was partially conductive electrically that made the capacitor value read high. The capacitor test results are classified as Poor because it deviates from the the nominal case but does not typically impact coil operation. Excessive capacitor leakage is readily apparent when the ECCT is used with the Advanced Features Software because the numeric value of Leakage Resistance is displayed. Leakage resistance as low as 100,000 Ohms will not cause any significant degradation in coil performance and does not warrant capacitor replacement. There should be minimal arcing across the point contacts and the spark fired across the 1/4" spark gap should be strong and consistent.
I-Timer + ECCT Adjusted Coils = Best Model T Engine Performance Possible!
www.modeltitimer.com www.modeltecct.com

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic