Roof head

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Roof head

Post by Michael Peternell » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:39 pm

Did this head ever have valve covers? I can't see any provision for holding them. Any other insight on the head would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Mike Peternell
PXL_20221119_145758802.jpg
PXL_20221119_145813920.jpg

Wayne Sheldon
First Name: Wayne
Last Name: Sheldon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Runabout 1913 Speedster
Board Member Since: 2005

Re: Roof head

Post by Wayne Sheldon » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm

Boy you know how to hurt people! Make them crazy with desire.
Certainly one of the most wanted high performance heads for a model T ever!

However. DO NOT go crazy making it something it was NOT! Do not mill the thing any more than absolutely necessary to make it fit properly! Do not enlarge the valve spaces! Do not use heavier than correct springs on the valves! And do (if it is yours or you are considering it?) check it over carefully to make sure (hopefully!) none of that stuff has been done to it already!
Too many overhead valve heads of all kinds have been ruined by hobbyists thinking they "could" and "should" make them be more than they were. Most overhead castings were of marginal quality to begin with. Cutting them way too often results in cutting through, or thin spots that later break. Heavier valve springs are done to handle higher rpm than you should really want and often result in broken rocker arms or towers! Why ruin something like this? And for what? Another 5 mph you will never need?

The 16 valve Roof heads are excellent pieces of history! Among the first and fastest of true model T speed equipment! But they do have breakage issues. If someone has already cut into it too much? Maybe you can treat it gently and have some fun with it. Maybe not?
Most 16 valve Roof heads did not have valve covers. Like most early overhead valve engines, they needed to be oil manually, and often.

Les Schubert
First Name: Les
Last Name: Schubert
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 roadster 13 touring

Post by Les Schubert » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:50 pm

I have a pair of shiny new valve covers for that head!

got10carz
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:15 pm

I have to disagree with Wayne and valve covers. I've read factory literature that at 1 time 16 valve heads could be purchased for $90 and valve covers were a $15 option. The original covers only had lettering on the front cover. The repo's of 20 years ago had lettering on both.

got10carz
Last Name: Meixner
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1911,13,14,19,23,25,26,27
MTFCA Number: 28023
MTFCI Number: 20471

Post by got10carz » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:24 pm

Only picture of mine. Maybe you can see the tops of the covers
Attachments
20161002_104354.jpg

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:03 am

I believe Mike Bender in Tulsa has a source for covers for the 16 valve heads.

Topic author
Michael Peternell
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Peternell
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: TT gas truck, T tractor conversions, '15 touring, '17 speedster, '26 16 valve speedster

Post by Michael Peternell » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:18 pm

Wayne Sheldon wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm
Boy you know how to hurt people! Make them crazy with desire.
Certainly one of the most wanted high performance heads for a model T ever!

However. DO NOT go crazy making it something it was NOT! Do not mill the thing any more than absolutely necessary to make it fit properly! Do not enlarge the valve spaces! Do not use heavier than correct springs on the valves! And do (if it is yours or you are considering it?) check it over carefully to make sure (hopefully!) none of that stuff has been done to it already!
Too many overhead valve heads of all kinds have been ruined by hobbyists thinking they "could" and "should" make them be more than they were. Most overhead castings were of marginal quality to begin with. Cutting them way too often results in cutting through, or thin spots that later break. Heavier valve springs are done to handle higher rpm than you should really want and often result in broken rocker arms or towers! Why ruin something like this? And for what? Another 5 mph you will never need?

The 16 valve Roof heads are excellent pieces of history! Among the first and fastest of true model T speed equipment! But they do have breakage issues. If someone has already cut into it too much? Maybe you can treat it gently and have some fun with it. Maybe not?
Most 16 valve Roof heads did not have valve covers. Like most early overhead valve engines, they needed to be oil manually, and often.
I'm feeling a lot better about my cocktail induced purchase! LOL! Thanks for all the responses!
Mike Peternell

J1MGOLDEN
First Name: James
Last Name: Golden
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Model T Roadster
MTFCA Number: 14294
MTFCI Number: 13562

Post by J1MGOLDEN » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:41 pm

I was given one of those once and declined the offer, as there seemed to be a COMPLETE LACT OF LUBRICATION FOR THE TOP ROCKERS, OTHER THAN AN OIL SOAKED PAD IN THE TOP OF THAT HEAD COVER.

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:51 pm

Lubrication was like that for most if not all of the overheads built for a T. The felt pad has worked fine for me on both a 4 valve Rajo and a Fronty. It is nice to have a valve cover for those of us who mainly use them for touring. The early racers may not have been as concerned about keeping out the dust, rocks and birds.

TXGOAT2
First Name: Pat
Last Name: McNallen
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926-7 roadster
MTFCA Number: 51486
Board Member Since: 2021

Post by TXGOAT2 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:11 pm

A hopped up T engine running hard would generate a lot of heavy oil mist, which would help lubricate the rocker assembly where valve covers were used. Valve covers with internal ribs would collect oil mist and allow oil to drip onto the mechanism or a felt pad. Would it be enough to oil the rockers and valve stems under all conditions? I doubt it. But it would help.

RajoRacer
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Post by RajoRacer » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:35 pm

I hand oil all my rockers & shafts on my BB RAJO prior to lighting her off as well as keeping the oil pad soaked - a little smoke - no biggie !

DaveBarker
First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barker
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 30942

Post by DaveBarker » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:06 pm

My Rajo Model 30 did not come with valve rocker covers, at least according to the literature I've seen. Like Steve, I always oil it up pretty well before I fire it up. The attached PDF has some details about the various overheads that were made for Model Ts.
Attachments
Model T OHV Heads.pdf
(3.83 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
Engine 22.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic