Front Axel

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Gen3AntiqueAuto
First Name: Tim
Last Name: Foye
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Fordor, 15 speedster (2), 23 touring, 26 fordor, 25 TT
MTFCA Number: 292
MTFCA Life Member: YES
MTFCI Number: 106
Board Member Since: 1999

Front Axel

Post by Gen3AntiqueAuto » Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:00 pm

So a few years back I had a local guy come here looking for a T front axle. Said he is going to stretch/bend it for lowering. I asked him to do one for me too. He agreed and I sent him off with two axles and some other stuff to even out the deal. "be back in a week with your part". He took the payment and the axles and vanished. Fast forward a few years and enter my current project, building a brass speedster on camera to pass along what I have learned over the last 50 years. Now I really want that lowered axle I paid for. :( Does anyone know someone in the "south of boston" area that has the ability to stretch one of these? I'd like to film the process as part of my build series if posssible.
Attachments
1909-27 Model T Ford Axle.jpg
1909-27 Model T Ford Axle.jpg (19.45 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
Gen III Antique Auto - we do Model T Ford Restorations

You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want -Zig Z.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeROBg ... pB-KImprjw

RajoRacer
First Name: Steve
Last Name: Tomaso
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1914 Touring, 1919 Centerdoor, 1924 TT C-Cab Express, 1925 Racer
MTFCA Number: 14972
MTFCI Number: 15411
Board Member Since: 2001

Re: Front Axel

Post by RajoRacer » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:12 pm

Sid's in Oklahoma is one of the only outfits I know of bending axles.

T4Tom
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Magee
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1924 Speedster

Post by T4Tom » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:17 pm

Here is the link to Sid's in OK:

https://www.droppedaxles.com

Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:58 pm

Met Sid couple times great guy excellent work
3" drop and stretched back to standard king pin to king pin

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by Retro54 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:02 pm

Kohler Kustoms in Pennsylvania does. I've met Andy via the central PA hotrod scene and he's a rodder thru and thru and a nice guy. He advertises dropping axles on his website but me and another buddy were not certain he does T axles, so obviously a call will be worth it. Not totally near Boston, but not halfway across the country either.

[/url]Https://kohlerkustom.com/services[/url]

Retro54
First Name: Andrew
Last Name: Blaydon
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1915 Cut-down touring

Post by Retro54 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:07 pm

Here's an article in online Motortrend about Andy's technique. Seems like he does reputable drops. Good luck!

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/guys- ... ioned-way/

Craig Leach
First Name: craig
Last Name: leach
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1919 Firetruck/1922 Speedster
MTFCA Number: 26647

Post by Craig Leach » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:55 am

Anyone that has seen my speedster knows I have no trouble under slinging a model T without a drop axle. What I'm
looking for is some one that can put a smile in my T axle so I have room to put a hand crank in so I can hand crank
the engine. Is any one west of the Mississippi south of the Mason Dixon line that can do that?
Craig.

babychadwick
First Name: Chad
Last Name: Azevedo
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:20 am

Correct, once you get around the 5-6" point a crank gets sketchy. If memory serves Sid does a dip but it is large (long) and doesnt look as nice as a short one. If you come across someone doing a short more aggressive drop let me know.
Attachments
Dip Center Model T Axle _2.jpg
"Those who fail to plan, plan to fail"

Topic author
Gen3AntiqueAuto
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 27 Fordor, 15 speedster (2), 23 touring, 26 fordor, 25 TT

Post by Gen3AntiqueAuto » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:31 pm

I see no way that axle in your photo will lower the car. It's upside down but still - ????

You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want -Zig Z.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:28 pm

It won't lower the car, but it will still clear the road of cats.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

babychadwick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Boattail speedster, 1912 Tourabout project, 1927 Speedster (build)

Post by babychadwick » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:08 pm

TheSpeedsterProject wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:31 pm
I see no way that axle in your photo will lower the car. It's upside down but still - ????
Never said it would lower the car, it isn't supposed to. When you lower a car enough and try to run a crank the axle gets in the way so a dip is placed in the axle to clear the crank. This is noticeable on Many other manufactures in the early teens.

Dan McEachern
First Name: DAN
Last Name: MCEACHERN
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: too many. '14 touring, 2 depot hacks, 2 speedsters

Post by Dan McEachern » Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 pm

To clarify what Chad wrote above- this is a problem only when the axle is used with a suicide front end arrangement - when the front spring mount is moved upward to create the drop- this method drops the centerline of the crankshaft to where it intersects a stock height front axle, which causes the hand crank to hit the axle. The purpose of the "dip" is to get the axle center below the hand crank.

Topic author
Gen3AntiqueAuto

Post by Gen3AntiqueAuto » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:21 am

Dan McEachern wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:02 pm
To clarify what Chad wrote above- this is a problem only when the axle is used with a suicide front end arrangement - when the front spring mount is moved upward to create the drop- this method drops the centerline of the crankshaft to where it intersects a stock height front axle, which causes the hand crank to hit the axle. The purpose of the "dip" is to get the axle center below the hand crank.
agreed. I see no way a stock T axle impacts the crank - and hey - there is a post with your name on it near the top of the list today.... Someone wants to talk to you.

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:46 am

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:21 am
Dan McEachern wrote:
agreed. I see no way a stock T axle impacts the crank - and hey - there is a post with your name on it near the top of the list today.... Someone wants to talk to you.
A stock T axle can impact the crank, when installed in a non-stock fashion, which was whole point of showing the "dipped" axle.

Topic author
Gen3AntiqueAuto

Post by Gen3AntiqueAuto » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:03 pm

Only if you hit a big dog! Been there. Took 3 adult males to pull the crank back out far enouth to restart the car.

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Craig Leach wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:55 am
Anyone that has seen my speedster knows I have no trouble under slinging a model T without a drop axle. What I'm
looking for is some one that can put a smile in my T axle so I have room to put a hand crank in so I can hand crank
the engine. Is any one west of the Mississippi south of the Mason Dixon line that can do that?
Craig.
I copied a picture from a previous posting assuming it's the one needing a smile on your axle. Since the axle looks like its pushed a bit ahead of the cross member do you envision any problems with the length of the hand crank clearing the axle
Attachments
leach speedster.JPG
leach speedster.JPG (91.42 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Liberty Garage
First Name: Steven
Last Name: Nelson
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 2 speedsters, 24 touring,19 pickup
MTFCA Number: 2957

Post by Liberty Garage » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Talked to Sid's in Oklahoma last month and he is no longer dropping Model T axles. He said they are a real pain to drop and get everything correct.

babychadwick

Post by babychadwick » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:21 am
Dan McEachern wrote:
Slid a crank in for checking
11.jpg
Note where it has knocked the paint off
105-0533_IMG.JPG
A good speedbump . . .
107-0732_IMG.JPG
Note dip to avoid crank
IMG_2364.JPG
Another factory dip
105-0556_IMG.JPG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic