How can I tell

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
John L
First Name: John
Last Name: Leffler
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1923 Coupe, 1927 Touring
MTFCA Number: 22526

How can I tell

Post by John L » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:53 pm

I hade my generator rebuilt and it’s not charging correctly. My friend said they may have wired it for a positive ground. How do I check this?

Jerry VanOoteghem
First Name: Jerry
Last Name: Van
MTFCA Number: 24868

Re: How can I tell

Post by Jerry VanOoteghem » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:05 pm

What do you mean by not charging correctly? What is it doing, or not doing?

BTW, I have my doubts about your friend's theory.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:25 pm

John

it is all but impossible to solve a problem created in an anonymous shop, on a public forum with no other details

Be assured, though, that if this was a repair by a commercial shop, your results are not unusual and may in fact be the norm. For certain, your repairmen did not actually test their work and it's very unlikely they even set it up correctly.

It's just an unfortunate fact, and the reason why a properly remanufactured Model T generator costs around $400. Those will work, will have a warrantee, and will not leave the owner to search for clues on the internet.

If your shop will not give you satisfaction, they should give you a refund. In the absence of that, you will do yourself a favor and purchase the MTFCA Electrical Book from any reputable supplier and start going down a list of troubleshooting exercises found therein. Once you have done that, you may well find the book advises you as exactly how to proceed. If not, then after running the troubleshooting exercises, you will have more information with which to supply to the Forum for your search for answers.

Best of luck.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:55 pm

A Model T generator does not come with a voltage regulator unless an accessory voltage regular has been installed. A normal T generator charges about 5 amps when running at a fast idle or when driving at a speed around 25 or more MPH. It will show discharge with the lights on. If you do most of your driving with the lights on, you can adjust the generator to charge just enough to keep the ammeter at zero with the lights on. That would be about 10 or a little more amps with the lights off. That will overcharge the battery unless you turn on the lights frequently even during daylight hours.
To adjust the charge, take off the band at the rear of the generator and on the top of the commutator, you will find a brush which can be adjusted by loosening the small nut and sliding the brush toward the engine which will increase the charge and away from the engine to decrease the charge. Be careful not to crack the insulation to which the small bolt is connected or the brush won't stay in place. When it is set the way you want it, tighten the nut. If it does not charge at all, you have other problems with the generator. The club publishes a booklet called "Electrical System" which contains instructions for a do it yourself mechanic. It will give you more details than I have in this post.
Norm

JohnH
First Name: John
Last Name: Hunter
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Geelong Tourer
Board Member Since: 2002

Post by JohnH » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:02 pm

John L wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:53 pm
My friend said they may have wired it for a positive ground.
That would take a lot of work. If it's outputting a reverse polarity current, it's more than likely been flashed with reverse polarity (if someone has assumed a Model T was postive earth). In which case, flashing it with correct polarity will fix that.
Aside from that, "not charging correctly" does not give any information to make a diagnosis from. What is it doing incorrectly?

Norman Kling
First Name: Norman
Last Name: Kling

Post by Norman Kling » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:06 am

Possibily the ammeter is wired in reverse. Especially the 26=27 T's The ammeter looks just like a Model A ammeter and is interchangeable, however, the A has a positive ground so if you use an A ammeter on a T you must reverse the wires. You can tell if you turn on the lights and it reads charge instead of discharge.
Norm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic