2 part Crystal Clear Epoxy

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
jiminbartow
First Name: James
Last Name: Patrick
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Coupe
MTFCA Number: 50126
Board Member Since: 2001

2 part Crystal Clear Epoxy

Post by jiminbartow » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:15 pm

I need to repair a chip on the edge of a piece of beveled glass using a 2 part crystal clear epoxy that comes in the double syringes, such as JB Weld, Gorilla Glue, Loctite, Devcon, etc. Some epoxies are crystal clear and some are a yellowish amber. In your experience, what is the most crystal clear epoxy you know of? I used to know, but I neglected to write it down and I don’t want to buy them all to determine which one is the clearest. Thank you. Jim Patrick

modeltspaz
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Spaziano
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Touring
MTFCA Number: 21699

Re: 2 part Crystal Clear Epoxy

Post by modeltspaz » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:23 pm

Jim,

When I worked for Mattel Toy Company several years ago, I worked in the casting department (among others), where we could reproduce any type of plastic material to do casting.
We used silicone rubber, flexible molds to reproduce just about anything without making ultra-expensive tooling.
When the need came up to make optically clear resin castings, we used a product made by a company called "Smooth-On." I believe they called it Water Clear. It lived up to its description. It was absolutely optically clear with no yellowing. It also accepted coloring by tinting with compatible tints.
Unfortunately, I was not involved in writing the checks so have no idea what the cost was. All that I can vouch for is the quality. It was outstanding.
The local distributor for the product line was Reynolds Advanced Materials in North Hollywood, California. They can be found on the internet.
If you'd like more information, send me an email. Good luck.

Best Regards,
Mike.
Knowledge that isn't shared, is wasted knowledge.

Rich P. Bingham
First Name: Rich
Last Name: Bingham
Board Member Since: 2015

Post by Rich P. Bingham » Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:46 pm

Others will know better, but I believe any epoxy will yellow eventually if exposed to enough UV. The viscosity of epoxy will hamper your repair. Cyanoacrylates used by those who repair windshield cracks may be a better choice.
Get a horse !

Jeff5015
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Schroeder
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1916 Touring
MTFCA Number: 50300
MTFCI Number: 87
Board Member Since: 2019

Post by Jeff5015 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:06 pm

This might be a good starting point...
https://www.amazon.com/windshield-repai ... air+resin