Unknown Wheel. TT Perhaps?

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
ryanf1023
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fenrich
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster Project

Unknown Wheel. TT Perhaps?

Post by ryanf1023 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:45 pm

I've been spending some time in fellow T-er Chris Bamford's shop as of late, getting my hubs prepared for new wooden wheels made up. This peculiarity of a wheel from my parts stash stumped us.
IMG_0309 (1).jpg
IMG_0310 (1).jpg
IMG_0311 (1).jpg
IMG_0312 (1).jpg
I grabbed it from the junkyard to potentially use the rear hub for my speedster. My first thought was it was a TT wheel, although after further investigation we weren't sure. The wheel has oval spokes, and the rim is 18.5" in diameter. A quick look on Google images saw no matching TT rear wheels (mainly 6 lugs for the demountable wheels compared to Ford), and a quick look through the TT section in the Lang's catalog brought no clear answer. It seems plausible to hold the correct tire size for the later TT rears.

It's a curiosity thing more than anything. It definitely screams "Ford" from the centre, but the further you radiate out, the less Ford it seems to be.

Humblej
First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Humble
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Canadian built coupe, 1924 TT C-cab, survivor 1924 roadster
MTFCA Number: 28034
Board Member Since: 2006

Re: Unknown Wheel. TT Perhaps?

Post by Humblej » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:24 am

Looks like a TT wheel. There were several different TT wheels used over the years, one thing in common is the TT rear axle shaft and brake drum are much larger than what the T car uses.

George House
First Name: George
Last Name: House
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: ‘10 Maxwell AA, ‘11Hupp Model 20, Two 1914 Ford runabouts, 19 centerdoor, 25 C Cab,26 roadster
MTFCA Number: 115
MTFCA Life Member: YES
Board Member Since: 1999

Re: Unknown Wheel. TT Perhaps?

Post by George House » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:39 pm

Well, I’m going to take a big leap of faith and say
.......that is NOT a Ford TT rear wheel..... you are Not the father 😜😜. I’m not aware of either size (23” or 20”) TT rear wheels having only 4 lugs. Here’s a pic of my TT 20” rear wheel. Doesn’t it appear my emergency brake drum is larger than your pic ?
Attachments
271BF4D9-CD7C-40FF-B01C-16EF48AF1019.jpeg
I don’t know why I turned out this way. My parents were decent people 🤪

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic