12v alternator?? V regulator

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

12v alternator?? V regulator

Post by Nv Bob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:24 pm

Put on a 12v alternator why I had one need a suggestion for voltage regulator that I can mount elsewhere plus ? On wiring doese a wire run
Alt Field to the volt reg to amp gauge to ignition to battery

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Re: 12v alternator?? V regulator

Post by TRDxB2 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:17 pm

Does this help (BAT on regulator to ammeter) Instructions for Stewart Warner Ammeter
https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... w-284a.pdf scroll down to wire gauge requirements and other optional wiring
Attachments
altamp.png
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Topic author
Nv Bob
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Middleton
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 18 roadster 1810 brand X

Post by Nv Bob » Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:05 am

Nit realy as there's two connectors on amp guage not one
And voltage regulator I've seen have two contacts one marked field one marked INGnition

TRDxB2
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Brandi
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: Speedster (1919 w 1926)
Board Member Since: 2018

Post by TRDxB2 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:04 am

Nv Bob wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:05 am
Nit realy as there's two connectors on amp guage not one
And voltage regulator I've seen have two contacts one marked field one marked INGnition
Not sure what alternator you have but most have a voltage regulator built in so there is no need for an external one. Also external voltage regulators have 3 or 4 wires.
So what ones do you have? But if you know you need an external one then....
The ammeter measures the current flow from to & from the battery. For a negative ground vehicle, the power sources alternator or generator, output goes to the plus side on the ammeter and the negative side of the ammeter goes to the plus post on the battery.
This link describes alternator wiring and what wires go where when present https://itstillruns.com/typical-alterna ... 86156.html
The wire they indicate that goes to the battery goes to the ammeter as described above to get to the battery.
It describes the terminal on the alternator labeled "Neg", "F" or "Field." as needed to be connected to ground.
Now it also describes an additional wire to got to a voltage regulator from the alternator.
The past is a great place and I don't want to erase it or to regret it, but I don't want to be its prisoner either.
Mick Jagger

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic