Modified 1926 T Coupe/Pickup.

Discuss all things Model T related.
Forum rules
If you need help logging in, or have question about how something works, use the Support forum located here Support Forum
Complete set of Forum Rules Forum Rules

Topic author
fiftyv8
First Name: Russ
Last Name: Ritchie
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 T coupe 1927 T coupe 1926 T pickup
Board Member Since: 2009

Modified 1926 T Coupe/Pickup.

Post by fiftyv8 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:31 am

Just for interest sake I guess, I am posting the pic of a project I am building which is a 1926 T coupe body that had serious rust out issues in the rear so I got it modified in a shop and converted to a 5 window closed can pickup body.
I thought that mine may have been the only one in existence, but have since been told there is another similar plus a 4 door extended cab pickup as well.

Anyway, it sure provides a lot of extra legroom for starters.
Attachments
Cab 27T 005.jpg
Cab 27T 005.jpg (49.13 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
Cab 27T 002.jpg
Cab 27T 002.jpg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 4768 times
Bodywork 003.jpg
Bodywork 002.jpg

Gene_French
First Name: Gene
Last Name: French
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 Roadster pkup.
MTFCA Number: 15614
Board Member Since: 2014

Re: Modified 1926 T Coupe/Pickup.

Post by Gene_French » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Russ:
looks like a very good fit and a good save on a project that may have been lost due to it being too difficult for many people to accomplish … will look good with a flat bed or box … we have seen many tourings cut down into pickups here in the western states … always an optimist ...Gene French

Rich Eagle
First Name: Richard
Last Name: Eagle
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1909 TR 1914 TR 1915 Rd 1920 Spdstr 1922 Coupe 1925 Tudor
MTFCA Number: 1219

Post by Rich Eagle » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Nicely done. There were many Sedans and probably Coupes cut down like that during the depression when money was tight and trucks were scarce and expensive. That should make a nice vehicle.
Rich
When did I do that?

Topic author
fiftyv8
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1926 T coupe 1927 T coupe 1926 T pickup

Post by fiftyv8 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Yes, this body was saved and the girl/lady that did all the body work did an exceptional job.
The work was done in CO.
It is destine to become part of a hot rod project using a 1940 Cadillac flathead V8 engine...

A view of the chassis and other parts can be seen on YouTube by using the link below,

https://youtu.be/5GQ8Ujaq7MY

The box is a custom made item also from CO shortened a few inches with a modified beltline to center with the new rear wheel location.

I can post pic's of the engine if anybody is interested...
Attachments
Box 012.jpg
Box 012.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Box 014.jpg
Box 014.jpg (39.33 KiB) Viewed 4549 times
Box 001.jpg
Box 001.jpg (52.01 KiB) Viewed 4549 times

walber
First Name: Walt
Last Name: Berdan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '18 Speedster had 25 touring and 26 coupe
MTFCA Number: 16421

Post by walber » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:16 pm

I'd like to see more. Fairly certain this vehicle will ruffle a few feathers but there is room in this world for variety and it's not like the body was destined for a full restoration back to what Henry did. Very interesting project even if it isn't standard T. I expect the HAMB folks would really enjoy it.

Scott_Conger
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Conger
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: '13, '15, '19, '23
Board Member Since: 2005

Post by Scott_Conger » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:33 pm

Any time an antique can be cut up to make a hot rod is always a good day for the hotrodder

Not sure what it has to do with Model Ts though, or why it is on a Forum devoted to preserving the marque. It appears to be nice work, and there are plenty of places to showcase metalworking skills and hotrods. Not sure this is it, though.

That said, I think the replies that will follow mine will be a good bellwether as to the direction the hobby is taking.
Scott Conger

Tyranny under the guise of law is still Tyranny

NH Full Flow Float Valves
Obsolete carburetor parts manufactured

Topic author
fiftyv8

Post by fiftyv8 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:03 pm

No intention of ruffling feathers here at all.
I've met a good number of folks on this forum over my time here, who have just been plain friendly or have offered information that I have been seeking.

I just figured if there was no resistance I'd offer a few pic's of my project.
My original intention was to only post the pic's of the body as it is Model T.

Variety is the spice of life and if with a few pic's and appropriate comments I was hoping folks could enjoy what I have and I am pleased to have had the chance to share.

I started out a Model A guy, but over the years have been drawn to a greater interest in late Model T's.

Just tell me when to stop and I will have no hard feelings.
I am no Model T expert, so this is about the only way I can give back to a Forum that has given to me in the past...

Next post will be of the engine and then I'm done.
Firewall was reversed and recessed.
Attachments
Picture 086.jpg
Picture 086.jpg (43.04 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
Copy of Jens Work 005.jpg
322 Cadflat 008.jpg
322 Cadflat 006.jpg
322 Cadflat 004.jpg

JP_noonan
First Name: John
Last Name: Noonan
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1925 Runabout

Post by JP_noonan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:01 pm

I agree with Walt and a few others here about seeing a new project that uses a rusty T body that in all reality would have probably never have been restored, and just rusted into a big pile of nothing. Don't get me wrong, I think that every remaining T that can be saved, should be. But the reality is, this is just wishful thinking among us T lovers. That being said, i would enjoy seeing your project Russ, especially the 40 Flathead. Just make a new thread in the OT section, that's exactly what its there for. ;)
Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Allan
First Name: Allan
Last Name: Bennett
* REQUIRED* Type and Year of Model Ts owned: 1912 van, 1917 shooting brake, 1929 roadster buckboard, 1924 tourer, 1925 barn find buckboard, 1925 D &F wide body roadster, 1927LHD Tudor sedan.

Post by Allan » Wed May 01, 2019 1:06 am

There is a different slant to this story here in Australia. In some states it is much easier to get a rod registered if it is conjured up from original body parts than fibreglass replacements. They travel a different route through the engineering/registration process. I have sold some really rough body panels which I am sure were used to ease a build through these restrictive channels. The were panels I considered way beyond sensible restoration as original T parts.

Allan from down under.

Topic author
fiftyv8

Post by fiftyv8 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:49 am

Great comments and I hear you both.
For me my T coupe body was found in NE Colorado with 1 rusty door and the rear section was a basket case.
It was cheap to purchase and was close to where I was located at the time, it was also near to the body shop that I wanted to try out.
It seemed to me that they could do nothing but good for it and it was a chance to experiment with a modification that had been bugging me for a while as I fond of Model A closed cab pickups, but very quickly discovered that I was a little too tall for comfort.

I have owned a running stock 1929 Model A closed cab pickup and had another as a project for a hot rod.
I already owned the Cadillac flathead engine as they are such a novelty pretty rare in Australia.
I was always wondering what I could use the Cadillac engine in as a project with a difference.

Gradually, over time the penny dropped and I was eventually on my way into a new project, with something a little different and quickly realised it was very challenging as well as interesting to say the least.
Progress was and remains slow, as every little thing had to be worked out and in some cases guestimated and done several times to get it right.
By the same token it has been fun and rewarding and I have learned a lot along the way.

The engine and modern transmission weight in at a combined weight in the region of 720kgs (1585lbs) and boy that is a lot of weight to sit on the front transverse spring.
I've had to rework the spring twice now and this even before taking it out on the road.

I will post the engine pic's here and then call it a day.
I thank you all for your kind words and interest and hope I have added a extra dimension of entertainment on this Forum without treading on too many toes.

Just for the record, if you look at the attached engine pic's I designed and manufactured both the cast aluminum valley plates and timing chain cover as a means of stamping my slant on things.

The engine runs power steering and a/c, twin thermostats, twin carbs and improved cam, HEI ignition and a dual homemade exhaust system.
Attachments
IMAG0313.jpg
29022016978.jpg
27022016971.jpg
27022016966.jpg

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic